Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retarius View Post
    Grant,

Could you recommend a good retention holster that is molle compatible? I too wear mine up on my kit and have seen the SERPA as the only option. As for its use, I'm a PL in a light infantry company and it will serve to retain my secondary in Afghanistan. Earlier in a post you said you understood them on plate carriers but I still feel like I'm tempting fate and felt dirty when I bought it to begin with do to the chance the locking tab can get jammed. If I am firing my M4 then its a bad day, and if I need to go to the M9 its a REALLY bad day and is no time to find out just how much the SERPA really sucks donkey balls.
    I don't deal much with this sort of thing, so hit up F2S and ask him for some wisdom.

C4

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Safariland ALS holster mounted on their MLS (Molle Locking System): http://www.safariland.com/dutygear/duty/mls.aspx

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    If you want a bail on the holster, go with a Safariland 6004. I have used the spring-driven thumb release holsters and they have many more issues than the simple, effective 6004. If you want a blazing fast draw, with active retention, go with an ALS from Safariland.
    If you don't need retention, there are a ton of decent holster makers out there.
    Can you elaborate on this? If not in public, a PM would be great.

I just got one to T&E and I'm curious what I should keep an eye out for.
    FYI, already familiar with the ALS (have one myself), just curious what the shortcoming were on the blade-tech/5.11 thumb-drive.

Thanks

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Let me be very clear, G-Code puts out quality products.
    Spring-opening bails have a failure point that is unavoidable: the spring and the faith requirment that the bail fully opened when the lever/pad was depressed.
    Break a spring or has something wedged in the bail and you won't know the holster has failed you until you are trying to fight the pistol out of the holster.
    I have had both happen to me.
    The 6004 is not immune to having a stoppage, but you at least know it before trying to pull the gun, and there are less parts to break.

It is not a criticism of G-Code, but rather of the genre.

MOLLE mounting:
    I prefer to wear my holsters on a belt, but in the occasion that I need to vest-mount the holster I have used an like the Safariland MOLLE lock, as well as simply zip-tying the holster into a cummerbund.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The SERPA is prohibited at my agency.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Before taking my first multi-day training class (EAG Pistol 2), I was told by many on this site that it was a piece of shit. I was a bit surprised by the tough love, but when people are trying to help you, you just shut up and listen, and I eventually did. I wasn't able to find an alternate at the time and took the class with the SERPA. I did get an offer of help from Rider79, who brought along extras, but I decided to try it anyways.

I didn't have problems with the gun getting locked in due to gravel because EAG's Pistol 2 didn't have us on the ground much.

However, I did experience what Surf has already mentioned much earlier, which is when aggressively trying to draw the pistol before disengaging the release, the trigger guard of the gun will grab/press into the retention tab connected to the release and prevent you from pushing the button down and the gun won't come out. Under stress, when you are yanking on the gun and trying to unsuccessfully push a button with the flat of your finger, it won't take much to curl that finger and push harder. Luckily, I didn't curl my finger and got through the class before some stupid shit happened. The warnings of all the M4C members were echoing in my head and I kept my finger F-ing straight as hell. I didn't want to be THAT GUY!

The thing is, I didn't realize exactly what was going on, until I broke the events down after I got home and started thinking about it, and actually recreated the problem consistently.

I saw a border patrol agent doing the same thing with his SERPA at a TigerSwan Pistol/Carbine class later on and told him what was going on. He decided that he was going holster shopping immediately after the class.
    Last edited by uwe1; 06-17-11 at 00:35.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    The SERPA is prohibited at my agency.

By my local SO as well.

C4

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    By my local SO as well.

C4
    I like how there is such a stark contrast between some agencies, like mine, where the Serpa is standard issue, and others where it is actually prohibited from use.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Another issue with the Serpa (when using it on the belt) is the weakness of the mounting system when doing weapon retention. I've seen several of the holsters tear away from the mount when a large amount of pressure was added to them. I wouldnt recommend their use for anything outside of simple range carry.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I've been looking into Safariland, is there a place where I can purchase just the holsters? All the models that fit the bill I can only find with drop leg platforms I don't need.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast