Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dachs View Post
    You can't use this as an example of the SERPA causing a problem. Clearly the problem exists with this loser. That he was wearing a SERPA when he shot himself is irrelevant.
    Not quite. The holster is poorly designed and utilizes a release mechanism and technique that is less than ideal. The "trigger finger straight along the frame" holstering and drawing technique was clearly the impetus for the design, but that trigger finger really shouldn't be doing anything but staying put on that frame or waiting for the frame to clear the kydex until such time as the shooter is ready to fire. The technique can be learned with proper training, but there are better alternatives to this holster that don't come with the risk of jammed release mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    It's completely irrelevant to SERPA apologists whose delusion is bolstered by stating it as such. That said, even where it IS relevant, it's only one of several factors. I personally have far less of a problem with the release and how its actuated than I do with how easily it's jammed up, but it's also not the most sensible arrangement from a work-flow perspective.
    It's a poor design that reminds me of the old clamshell revolver holsters. They were "innovative" but had their own set of unique drawbacks and safety issues that made them not worth the risk to a professional whose life depends on their kit.
    Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    You know whats funny about this whole thing, I have a serpa 1911 holster and I did several draws from it after watching the video. I discovered my trigger finger was on the slide not in the frickin trigger guard. This holster is fine it's the people who don't know how to use a HOLSTER that shoot themselves. Your trigger finger should always be extended along your slide and out of the trigger guard on a draw no matter what holster you use kydex/leather no retention/retention or level 1/2/3 retention. It's not the holster it is the people who would have done this drawing from any holster.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dachs View Post
    That guy shouldn't serve as evidence for anything...except for what happens when you mix stupid with dangerous.

You can't use this as an example of the SERPA causing a problem. Clearly the problem exists with this loser. That he was wearing a SERPA when he shot himself is irrelevant.
    yeah, this guy is easy to pick on because of his personality, mannerisms, etc... but looking at some of his other videos, he has at least an average level of gun handling skill.

the discussion is not "do extremely skilled operators shoot themselves with regularity using this holster?", but "is this a potential hazard?"

the answer is obviously yes and to me, it comes down to degrees. how do I want to stack the deck in regard to my personal safety?..
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    Few people can be relied on to engage in precision movements when full of adrenaline, which is why serpa = bullet in the leg.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristisKing View Post
    You know whats funny about this whole thing, I have a serpa 1911 holster and I did several draws from it after watching the video. I discovered my trigger finger was on the slide not in the frickin trigger guard. This holster is fine it's the people who don't know how to use a HOLSTER that shoot themselves. Your trigger finger should always be extended along your slide and out of the trigger guard on a draw no matter what holster you use kydex/leather no retention/retention or level 1/2/3 retention. It's not the holster it is the people who would have done this drawing from any holster.
    true. but people are not robots and are prone to botching things under pressure or stress or pushing themselves past an acquired level of proficiency.

to say it hasn't happened "yet" is not the same as saying it can never happen...
    never push a wrench...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    If curling of the finger is the problem isnt it going to happen more with people who have longer fingers too?

Feedback Score
    No because all you have to do is touch it with the side of your finger. It doesn't release to the finger tip unless that where your finger rests.

To the seasoned shooters comment and the serpa being dangerous I meant he could have been using any holster and shot himself.
    Last edited by ChristisKing; 07-08-11 at 09:36.

Feedback Score
    No because all you have to do is touch it with the side of your finger. It doesn't release to the finger tip unless that where your finger rests.

To the seasoned shooters comment and the serpa being dangerous I meant he could have been using any holster and shot himself.
    Dude had been practicing with a different holster and switched. Muscle memory was screwed up.
    I saw your earlier post and at first I quite agreed - with the 1911, the release button is along the side of the frame and that's where your finger ought to be when you draw... in fact, it's right over the slide stop pin, which is where I like to keep my trigger finger when it isn't on the trigger. So, I agreed with you - thinking it was GTG with a 1911.

But..... no. Seeing it actually happen with a 1911? Like jmp45, I'm ditching my Serpas.

Time to make my kit more M4C compliant
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    A discussion involving the gayest lubrication, pinkies, Popsicles, hammering balls and dripping guns, all in the same thread...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    I like living a life in which beer is an appetizer, the floor is just another shelf, and the world is my urinal.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'm glad you were able to safely use the holster in the confines of a stress free environment while being conscious of your trigger finger placement. Unfortunately, the holster is not fine. It's a poor design that is prone to failure. As has been amply demonstrated by professionals, including myself, who have seen it fail repeatedly in training conditions in ways that will eventually get someone killed. Defending the purchase and continued use of a piece of sub standard kit out of ego, fear of embarrassment or whatever the case might be, is all too common in the firearms world. It's unfortunate because there are better pieces of equipment than the SERPA in the same price range on the market, but for some reason people keep buying this piece of junk and overly defensive owners see ownership of it as some kind of hill to plant a flag and die on. Glad it has worked for you and I hope it works when you need it most.
    Nothing man-portable is guaranteed to end a fight.

Feedback Score
    Whatever makes you happy.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast