Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

Feedback Score
    hey just a quick question, has anyone ever done any torture test on different holsters to see what it will take to make them fail? alot of people assume things will fail by the looks of them, and not by actual expierence(not sayin any of the points in this discussion arent true, but im sure many of you know what i am talking about) we see plenty of torture tests on the rifles and sidearms we carry but rarely on the gear we carry them with. id like to see various holsters thrown in sand, mud, water, gravel, mabey left outside for a few weeks with a rubber training gun in them and then see the results. if i wasnt working 60+ hours a week id do it myself, but things are a little busy down here in south texas

"You know how they say God left Africa in the 1990s? well if he went to Mexico, he sure as hell didnt stay very long"

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I have personally heard/seen Kyle DeFoor give a lecture and illustration of why a Serpa is not a good idea. This was echoed by several former Tier 1 guys. More than a few guys in the class were not pleased to learn part of their kit was shit.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
    Our other approved holster choice is a Safariland 6280 and it seems that more and more, there is much hate for this simple yet effective holster. I would say three out of five agents have switched from the Safariland to some kind of Serpa. Agents always cite that while on walks, the hood comes open and their pistols have fallen out with the Safariland. I am not sure, but I believe this is more common among our more "robust" agents.

The one area where the Serpa is in fact better than the Safariland that only concerns uniformed LEO/LEA is that the Serpa appears to be more difficult for successful gun grabs.
    I feel the standard Safariland 6280 holster design is also lacking in a couple of ways. The hood does indeed easily find its way open while seated inside of a patrol vehicle. Once it is open, it is basically a "gun bucket". Should the Officer approach a traffic stop or subject on the street with the hood down and suddenly find him/her-self in a ground fight, their pistol will inevitably fall out of the 6280. The police academy that the majority of our recruits are sent to has decided to advise the recruits that in-order to gain a "speed advantage" when approaching "high risk" stops, it is acceptable to rotate the hood down on their 6280 holsters. In my personal opinion, this is beyond stupid. I have never found that defeating one of, or any of a holsters retention devices in anticipation of having to draw your pistol from the holster actually equates an increase in speed with the draw. I have found just the opposite to be true. Whenever I have seen officers try to gain an advantage in their draw by rotating the hood down on their 6280 holsters during training or re-qualifications it always causes a hitch in their draw. Basically under stress, they still look to rotate the hood down with their thumb when they do actually draw the pistol.

I greatly prefer the 6300 series ALS holsters from Safariland. Should the hood find its self open, the pistol is still positively retained by the ALS feature in a gun-grab or ground fight situation.
    Last edited by nickdrak; 06-13-11 at 02:21.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Seeing a youtube video of a pistol jammed in good when I was researching buying one of these was enough to put me off.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    HIJACK

Does Safariland make a line of holsters for multiple platforms that are recommended replacements for the Serpa? Or does any other company? Preferably with a QD setup so that multiple weapons could mount on the same rig?

Are there any kydex holsters with at least some kind of active retention?

HIJACK

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    HIJACK

Does Safariland make a line of holsters for multiple platforms that are recommended replacements for the Serpa? Or does any other company? Preferably with a QD setup so that multiple weapons could mount on the same rig?

Are there any kydex holsters with at least some kind of active retention?

HIJACK
    Yep. They offer the QLS (Quick Locking System): http://www.safariland.com/Dutygear/duty/qls.aspx that can be configured to mount on various different platforms. I would suggest any one of their 6300 series "ALS" holsters as a far superior replacement for the SERPA. I run the open top 6325: http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6325

Feedback Score
    I honestly appreciate everyone's knowledge, experience, and research on this subject. I work for an organization that guards bad people and I and all the other guards are armed. That being said 99% of us are using the SERPA as our duty holster. I have read this thread hoping that during so, information of what is a good retention holster would be shared. I have read all the info and negative statements and will take all/most of it to heart, but it would be very helpful that along with the negative there may be some recommendations as well.

Thank you

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast