Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Blackhawk Serpa CQC holster

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J8127 View Post
    I've been looking into Safariland, is there a place where I can purchase just the holsters? All the models that fit the bill I can only find with drop leg platforms I don't need.
    Lots of places:
    http://www.google.com/search?q=safar...w=1103&bih=655

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
    I like how there is such a stark contrast between some agencies, like mine, where the Serpa is standard issue, and others where it is actually prohibited from use.

It is interesting. The head firearms instructor (same guy that helps me teach classes) is a very switched on dude with lots of training under Hackathorn and Vickers. This directly influences the policies he establishes.

I can talk to an SO or PD firearms instructor and within 5 minutes know if they have a clue or not.

Another PD local to me is the exact opposite to my county SO. They use Glock 19's and are not allowed to use anything other than the plastic "space holder" sights that came with the guns (read NS's are not allowed and not needed). They also are not allowed to have weapon mounted lights.

C4
    Last edited by C4IGrant; 06-16-11 at 08:41.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Are they even allowed to go on calls at night.....tthose could be dangerous you know....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    They also are not allowed to have weapon mounted lights.
    C4
    Not uncommon.

Sometimes, it's based on the opinions and predisposition of an agency "gun guy."

Sometimes, a lack of willingness by the agency to provide or regulate individually purchased gear within a quality standard.

Often times, such a prohibition is made after an initial or trial fielding during which troops had their clown shoes on and created justifiable concerns. Seen, many times.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Thanks to all you guys for a thread like this. Seems like a good place for a first post. I've been around for awhile reading and soaking up info. I'm still huge noob when it comes to separating tactical from tacticool stuff. And to me the Serpa looks like a great little holster. I had never thought of the finger curl issue at all til reading this.
    Last edited by Grizzly16; 06-16-11 at 16:25.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    Thanks to all you guys for a thread like this. Seems like a good place for a first post. I've been around for awhile reading and soaking up info. I'm still huge noob when it comes to separating tactical from tacticool stuff. And to me the Serpa looks like a great little holster. I had never thought of the finger curl issue at all til reading this.
    Basic Pistol Course = $150
    Serpa Holster = $30
    Info given to noobs on M4C = Priceless

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzly16 View Post
    It happens when you're under stress. I practiced a lot when I was at home and never had it happen.

Put a person on a line with other shooters, induce some stress, and require them to perform to either a timer or a sudden shouted command and sometimes people do funny things.

I remember Pat saying, "Ok, shooters, on my command, turn to face the targets and moving forward from the 10 to 5 yard line, put two rounds center mass into the first target, two rounds center mass into the second target, then one to the brain of #2 and then one to the brain of #1"

Followed by a pause......"UP!!!"

Then me, trying to concentrate on turning correctly (we were taught a certain way to move), not drawing until I was facing downrange so I didn't muzzle sweep anyone, drawing quickly once I was oriented properly, and trying to remember the drill sequence, promptly attempted to draw the gun a fraction of a second before my index finger fully engaged the SERPA release, and successfully gave myself a wedgie three times before I got the release activated.

And this wasn't the only time it happened....
    Last edited by uwe1; 06-17-11 at 00:56.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post
    Basic Pistol Course = $150
    Serpa Holster = $30
    Info given to noobs on M4C = Priceless
    Yep! I've done one half day class and one 3 hr class but I used my IWB holster for both since the were focused on concealed/defensive shooting.

Feedback Score
    The problem is they are so readily available and many people recommend (wrongly) them. I had one and thought it was great. I practiced drawing from in and felt confident with it. That is until I took my first class. My reloads with my AR went flawlessly mostly due to my redi-mod but every time I transitioned to my secondary I could not draw my weapon first try. Fortunately my life was not on the line just my pride.

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CGSteve View Post
    Serpa holsters of some model/generation or another are also one of the standard issue holsters for the agency I work for as well.

I used to take it upon myself to briefly mention the possible problems that can occur while using this holster to other agents but I stopped doing that a long time ago. My suggestions held no weight compared to gun magazine promotions and internet photos of them in use.

Agents always cite their improved draw speed while using the Serpas though. That's fine and good, but the thing that turned me away from using one was seeing documented cases of them failing should some kind of debris lodge itself into the release mechanism. We work in the desert where a myriad of natural debris can find itself in that holster and F it up. I was not worried about the potential ND because I believe and always will that that is more of a training issue.

Our other approved holster choice is a Safariland 6280 and it seems that more and more, there is much hate for this simple yet effective holster. I would say three out of five agents have switched from the Safariland to some kind of Serpa. Agents always cite that while on walks, the hood comes open and their pistols have fallen out with the Safariland. I am not sure, but I believe this is more common among our more "robust" agents.

The one area where the Serpa is in fact better than the Safariland that only concerns uniformed LEO/LEA is that the Serpa appears to be more difficult for successful gun grabs.

I gave my issued Serpas away to some Barney Fife at work. I'm doing a detail right now where I am not even in the field and I still will not use a Serpa.
    i've heard of people who wear belt rigs using the safariland holster, hit the hood with their elbow while running and have their pistols go flying out. i don't know about you guys, but i can easily seeing this happen to anyone.

i think all the holster systems have shortcomings...

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast