Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: G26 vs Walther PPS?

Feedback Score

G26 vs Walther PPS?

Got a bonus at work and looking to spend some of it on a gun. I really want something to make carrying a little easier for the summer, so I have narrowed it down to the 2 pistols in the title (unless anybody here really wants to try to make a case for the J frame....)

Some preliminary thoughts I've had...

G26
    Pros: Am already a Glock armorer, own multiple spare parts for Glock 9mms, own 2 other Glock 9mms (19/17), cheaper than the walther, would have magazine commonality, can use same IWB holsters, would permit me to shoot subcompact in GSSF matches...

Cons: Thick, not more concealable than G19 according to some.

PPS
    Pros: Thin, single stack 9mm
    cons: Expensive mags, more expensive pistol than G26, nonstandard mag release, would need to drop more $ on parts, new holster, new sights...

any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It depends on where you are going to carry it, and how you are going to be dressed. The G26 doesn't hide away as well in an ankle holster, or if you are wearing a nice tucked in shirt. Personally I'm either carrying a compact sized pistol(G19/Sig P228/HK P2000) for the majority of my carry, and then I have a pocket sized gun for ankle carry or dress-up carry where the gun needs to be tiny. Not to mention, a single stack will weigh less(less ammo).

In my opinion, the G26 doesn't give you that much concealability over the G19, so I'd go with the PPS regardless of how it effects your logistics.
    Last edited by KhanRad; 06-10-11 at 18:52.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Con: If you buy the PPS, your Glocks -will- be jealous.

I think the Glock is simply more utilitarian where the PPS was designed to fit a specific need and does it well. If the money is going to bother you, then don't it.

If you didn't have Glocks I would say no doubt get the PPS because I'm sure you would like it for the intended use.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Con: If you buy the PPS, your Glocks -will- be jealous.

I think the Glock is simply more utilitarian where the PPS was designed to fit a specific need and does it well. If the money is going to bother you, then don't it.

If you didn't have Glocks I would say no doubt get the PPS because I'm sure you would like it for the intended use.
    Very well put and I could not agree more. Personally I am looking to acquire a PPS.
    "Intelligence is not the ability to regurgitate information. It is the ability to make sound decisions on a consistent basis "--me

"Just remember, when you are talking to the average person, you are talking to a television set"--RDJB

One Big Ass Mistake America

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'm a Glock man through and through, but remember, these are tools and I have added a PPS to my toolbox for certain times. And yes I have a 26 but 99% of time, my 19 is it.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    Both quality pistols. I shot a borrowed PPS once. Meh. G26 would be and is my pick for magazine and holster commonality with larger primaries, easier to pocket/still fits into places a G19 won't. And capacity.
    Last edited by JHC; 06-10-11 at 20:57.
    "Whatever it's for; it wasn't possible until now!!!" - KrampusArms

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have a G19 and PPS available to me, and I go with the G19 for familiarity and capacity.

That said, the PPS is undoubtedly easier to conceal.

Feedback Score
    How much experience do you have with either pistol? If you're deeply invested into Glocks, then are you willing to learn a new manual of arms? I am going through this with my jframe. Learning a new manual of arms could also mean a deterioration of your existing skills with your old weapon. I've been practicing with my jframe lately and I know that I've deteriorated a bit with my G19. Now the PPS vs a Glock is not as extreme as what I'm doing, but you should still be willing to prepare for that learning curve all over again.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've also been contemplating the PPS for times when my G19 isn't practical. My concern so far has been what blackboar mentioned: the different manual of arms, particularly the diffferent mag release. In a life threatening encounter, will your familiarity and long term practice with Glocks make the PPS clumsy and unworkable? One of my old Captains said "You practice and drill so that you're hands remember when your mind forgets." I'm kinda leery of two weapons which are close enough to confuse me under stress, but not radically different enough to trip a whole different set of muscle memories. I'd be curious to know how much weight some of the forum's veteran trainers or lethal force encouter experts give to this aspect of making your choice.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    My EDC used to be a G26 until I got my PPS.

My G26 was great, but it was too thick for discreet pocket carry, my PPS isn't, which is pretty much the only reason I switched.

I have noticed my PPS is a bit more accurate than my G26 was, but both are more than sufficiently accurate for defensive purposes and both are more accurate than I am without shooting from a rest.

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast