Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: G26 vs Walther PPS?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Yes, I believe there is video tape somewhere of a robbery. Might have been a jewelry store or similar. I can't remember the whole story, it's been maybe 10+ years since I heard it.

But the good guy had been trained on one platform and either kept trying to release a safety that wasn't there or couldn't get the safety off that was there. I seem to recall that little bit of time made a difference and I can't recall the outcome but I don't think it was good.

Personally though, I think if you trained enough you would get second nature with either. Musicians do it all the time playing various instruments ( not that they are in fear of death at the time though ).

I get mixed up shooting a Model 52 and 1911. The safety is opposite.

I personally think the mag release would become second nature to you though. It just seems like a fast learned logical thing.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    http://www.ignatius-piazza-front-sig...-a-loaded-gun/

This may be what you're talking about, the store owner did not have a chambered round, and he ended up getting shot while attempting to get the weapon ready. Sorry if this is too off-topic.
    Last edited by Mike Miller; 06-11-11 at 01:07.

Feedback Score
    I have both. I carry the G26 when I can conceal it and the PPS when I can't conceal the G26. Also, long car trips I'll carry the PPS it's a little more comfortable against my particular car seat.

I'd put the G26 above the PPS in terms of reliability. I've
    had a few failure to extracts with the PPS and none in the G26.

Feedback Score
    The big argument for the G26 is how much less it would cost me in total - not just the gun but the mags/parts/holsters/etc due to its compatability with my existing glocks. not to mention the complication that the PPS would introduce with its entirely new mag release...

that being said, would the slimness of the pps be worth the extra $$/training?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrology View Post
    The big argument for the G26 is how much less it would cost me in total - not just the gun but the mags/parts/holsters/etc due to its compatability with my existing glocks. not to mention the complication that the PPS would introduce with its entirely new mag release...

that being said, would the slimness of the pps be worth the extra $$/training?
    The real question is......would the G26 be worth the size reduction over a G19. I don't think so.

Feedback Score
    Have you considered a Kahr PM9? Mine has been reliable after the 200 round break in period. The PM9 has the same style magazine release as the Glock.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp
    Last edited by Anjin-san; 06-11-11 at 13:20. Reason: Added link

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Anjin-san View Post
    Have you considered a Kahr PM9? Mine has been reliable after the 200 round break in period. The PM9 has the same style magazine release as the Glock.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9.asp
    are those gtg? i have heard not great things about their QC.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    are those gtg? i have heard not great things about their QC.
    PM9s are a crapshoot, it seems that they're about 75% good, 25% problematic, although I believe Kahr is fairly good about making it right.

That said, my first carry gun was a Kahr P40 and while it was light, easy to carry, very reliable, and very accurate, it had a fatal flaw that carries over to the PM9 (and indeed all of the Polymer Kahr models): the mag release. You see, on original steel Kahrs, the grip panels flare out (like pretty much any other gun with grip panels) altering the profile of the grip and generally being the first point of contact when pressed horizontally, but on the polymer models the profile for the sides of the grip are totally flat, leaving the magazine release button protruding A LOT. What would happen for me, then, is I'd sit down or turn, or bend over a certain way and my holster (I carried IWB) would press against the magazine release button and pop the mag loose - usually not enough to flat-out eject it, just enough so that if I had to pull it it would either malfunction or the mag would come flying out on the draw. I got in the habit of checking to make sure my mag was actually seated constantly but would catch it unseated 3 or 4 times a week.
    For what it's worth, I did look at the travel on the mag release button to determine if I could shave down the button without compromising function, and I determined that the amount of shaveable space was too little to be useful.
    Didn't have use for a single-shot carry gun, so I sold it.

I don't know if this would happen with pocket carry (which I assume is one of, if not your only, intended carry methods with this gun), but I experienced it several dozen times in IWB carry, and for that reason I'm never buying another Polymer Kahr.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoTex View Post
    PM9s are a crapshoot, it seems that they're about 75% good, 25% problematic, although I believe Kahr is fairly good about making it right.

That said, my first carry gun was a Kahr P40 and while it was light, easy to carry, very reliable, and very accurate, it had a fatal flaw that carries over to the PM9 (and indeed all of the Polymer Kahr models): the mag release. You see, on original steel Kahrs, the grip panels flare out (like pretty much any other gun with grip panels) altering the profile of the grip and generally being the first point of contact when pressed horizontally, but on the polymer models the profile for the sides of the grip are totally flat, leaving the magazine release button protruding A LOT. What would happen for me, then, is I'd sit down or turn, or bend over a certain way and my holster (I carried IWB) would press against the magazine release button and pop the mag loose - usually not enough to flat-out eject it, just enough so that if I had to pull it it would either malfunction or the mag would come flying out on the draw. I got in the habit of checking to make sure my mag was actually seated constantly but would catch it unseated 3 or 4 times a week.
    For what it's worth, I did look at the travel on the mag release button to determine if I could shave down the button without compromising function, and I determined that the amount of shaveable space was too little to be useful.
    Didn't have use for a single-shot carry gun, so I sold it.

I don't know if this would happen with pocket carry (which I assume is one of, if not your only, intended carry methods with this gun), but I experienced it several dozen times in IWB carry, and for that reason I'm never buying another Polymer Kahr.
    Probably would not be my only method of carry but it would be a bonus if that were an option, yes....

Feedback Score
    I've had a 9mm PPS for about 18 months. It's very accurate and has 1,700 rds. of assorted fmj/jhp ammo through it with zero malfunctions.

Very fine pistol IMO and worth every penny.
    "Never confuse movement with action."
    Ernest Hemingway

Join the NRA - protect our 2nd Amendment rights.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast