Page 349 of 366 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,490 of 3655

Thread: What did you do Today to Prepare?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tgizzard View Post
    Good info, thanks to you both. I want to get some fruit trees planted as soon as I can get some areas cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Be careful when selecting fruit trees and ensure you buy varieties proper for your specific location/climate/soil.

Especially critical with apple, peach, pear varieties. All have specific "chill hour" (below 45 degrees F) requirements to bear fruit.

For example, my neighbor bought a pair of apple trees at the local Lowes 5 years ago. Trees have grown great, and are hardy and solid. But only threw a couple apples each in 5 years. Found out these specific trees need 750 chill hours, and that's just not gonna happen here in South Texas.

Trees I selected need 350, so I should be good. Stick with established local nurseries who know the plants you are wanting BEFORE you plant. Cost a bit more, but well worth it for the education they provide!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I learned the hard way not to buy fruit trees on sale at Lowes or home depot. Spend the $ on quality trees, more disease resistant, etc.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    I learned the hard way not to buy fruit trees on sale at Lowes or home depot. Spend the $ on quality trees, more disease resistant, etc.
    Lowes and HD buy their trees from major growers, just like most nurseries. I think the difference is the fact that the "Big Box" trees are bought centrally in a more generic way i.e. "50 apple trees" versus "25 moderate Fuji, 25 low chill Gala" like a nursery would do. You kinda get what you get, and it may not be grown for your specific local.

But if you know what you want, or get lucky, and you use good practices to grow your tree, you can do fine with their trees.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Vacuume sealed and stored a bunch of pasta, rice, oatmeal. Etc. anyone else here get a sense of satisfaction after putting back some more food stores?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Worked hard. Made money. Sold unneeded stuff. Invested wisely.

In 99% of likely scenarios, money will be far more useful than any go bag. Yeah, I'm more ready than most for those really crazy possibilities too, but there are far too many broke "preppers". They're prepared for a 1% possibility, but completely unprepared to pay the rent which is 100% guaranteed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Got a thousand rounds of CBC 62gr fmj (not m855) for $295 shipped.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerPeak View Post

In 99% of likely scenarios, money will be far more useful than any go bag. Yeah, I'm more ready than most for those really crazy possibilities too, but there are far too many broke "preppers". They're prepared for a 1% possibility, but completely unprepared to pay the rent which is 100% guaranteed.
    So true and excellent advice!
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerPeak View Post

Thank you sir. So many preppers seem to forget that the first reuirement is to be healty/in shape and the second is to be debt free.
    “It's no wonder that truth is stranger than fiction. Fiction has to make sense.” Mark Twain

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pi3 View Post
    Thank you sir. So many preppers seem to forget that the first reuirement is to be healty/in shape and the second is to be debt free.
    Yep, health/fitness are definitely high on the list. It's sad to see preppers who would be the slowest out of a building if it caught fire.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I am experimenting on my body by trying to find optimal ketosis. Seeing how my body and mind feel running on fats while on fast, since that is what in a survival situation one might depend on for at least 2-3 days.
    Want to see how much functionality I lose, and if it takes away from dexterity and vision, needed for my long range rig.

Page 349 of 366 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359 ... LastLast