Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HK VP70...The "First" Glock...

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I forgot to ask in my other post, but didn't it have a really high trigger pull, like 12+ lbs or something like that...I can't remember for sure
    "Warriors"

Out of every 100 men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets. Nine are the real fighters and we are lucky to have them for they make the battle. Ah, but the one...one is a Warrior, and he will bring all the others back.

-Heraclitis

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I owned one for several years, even used it as a car gun for awhile.

I liked the small size of the grip, and the compact size of the 18 round mags.

Never found a holster for it outside of the bullshit gun show type generic nylon stuff.

I hated the sights and the cross-bolt safety.

I could live with the heel mag release, not a big deal.

The take-down latch would get rather hot if you put many rounds through it at all.

The trigger did in fact suck, and was worse than any DA revolver I have ever shot other than the Nagant M1895

I liked how simple the parts and construction was. I think if it had been built with a semi pre-cocked striker like a Glock, thus giving a lighter/better trigger pull, it would have been a better pistol.

Feedback Score
    Good review, SteyrAUG.

What turned me off about the trigger was reading Wiley Clapp's book where he reviewed about 50 9X19mm handguns and listed all the 25 yard groups with 6 different loads.

The VP70 possessed some of the worst groups of all, which (surprise, surprise) was attributed to the trigger.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    HK could have dominated the market with that gun if they would have spent more time thinking about it as a pistol that could be converted to a machinepistol rather than the opposite. All the elements of the modern pistol are there (other than the light rail, which they invented later).

HK is still (obviously) a leading innovator, but they were really up to some wild stuff in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Of course, crazy crap like this drove them into the red, but look at all the cool toys!
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Bell View Post
    HK could have dominated the market with that gun if they would have spent more time thinking about it as a pistol that could be converted to a machinepistol rather than the opposite. All the elements of the modern pistol are there (other than the light rail, which they invented later).

HK is still (obviously) a leading innovator, but they were really up to some wild stuff in the 60s, 70s and 80s. Of course, crazy crap like this drove them into the red, but look at all the cool toys!

Yup, those were the days when HK was being run by the same generation that was at Mauser during WWII and the spirit of innovation and No Compromise really held true.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    God did you ever pic a good woman very nice gift. I asked my wife for an IPOD touch to run my ballistic software on for my 31st BDAY she said it was to much money and went out 2 weeks later and bought another horse for 5k your a lucky man. Im a horse owner
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    God did you ever pic a good woman very nice gift. I asked my wife for an IPOD touch to run my ballistic software on for my 31st BDAY she said it was to much money and went out 2 weeks later and bought another horse for 5k your a lucky man. Im a horse owner
    I'd name it Sarah Jessica Parker!
    If she can drop 5k on a damn horse but can't (won't) loosen the purse strings for an iPod for your birthday, you should at least get to name it!

This only further supports my observation that horse people are weird!

But, I digress...

It's interesting how deep the lands & grooves are in the barrel of the VP70. Looking at the muzzle on mine (safely, not the Buford Tune way!), I've never seen more pronounced rifling...except maybe in barrels mounted on tanks or A-10s.
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    I'd name it Sarah Jessica Parker!
    I've never seen more pronounced rifling...except maybe in barrels mounted on tanks or A-10s.
    I know you are kidding, but barrels on modern US tanks are smooth, not rifled. But if I wasn't a former tred hed I might have $5K to my name to spend on a horse... err... gun, I mean gun!

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Oops, my bad! Could've sworn I saw a picture of a tank's muzzle that had, at least to my eyes, "rifling" that looked like a gear would engage.

$5k would buy a hell of a Colt!
    -VERITAS VINCIT-

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by halo2304 View Post
    Oops, my bad! Could've sworn I saw a picture of a tank's muzzle that had, at least to my eyes, "rifling" that looked like a gear would engage.

$5k would buy a hell of a Colt!
    Probably an older tank, back when they used rifled bores.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast