Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the new trend of "rail-ready" forearm/handguard?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

What's up with the new trend of "rail-ready" forearm/handguard?

Where there used to be full length quad rails for the carbines and rails. Now I'm seeing some guns with handguard/forearm designs that are "rail ready", and can add pieces of rail with attachment. Is this a better solution? Or just another trend? Seems to come out with the Magpul MOE handguard which uses this concept.
    Last edited by Bushmaster-M4A3; 06-12-11 at 10:07.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    It all depends on who you ask. To me, it fills a need by certain people. Fully railed forearms are heavier due to the additional metal and rails. People don't like the added weight and also don't use all of the rail space anyways and so "rail-ready" handguard were made for people that want 1) weight savings and 2) to only have rails where they need to have equipment at where they need it. Keeps a slimmer overall profile and lighter in weight not to mention not having to put ladder or rail covers on all excess rails. Part of the "less is more" and "light is right" mantra.

Each person has a need and like Pat Rogers has said before, "The mission drives the gear train." If you need all 4 rails; great. If not and want a lighter rifle and rails where you only need them; great.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Is it a weight issue, or is it simply cost?

An upper tier handguard can be very close to weight to the weight of MOE hanguards, but for around 8-10 times the price. If you don't really need that rail space, is the free float worth the price of entry? I would imagine it isn't for most people

For me, it is economics. I have a MOE midlength on my BCM because I'd rather buy a better optic or more magazines and ammo. But to each, his own.
    Last edited by dfsutton; 06-12-11 at 11:33.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
    -- Thomas Jefferson

"No one is more hopelessly enslaved, than the person who falsely believes he is free."
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dfsutton View Post
    Is it a weight issue, or is it simply cost?

For me, it is economics. I have a MOE midlength on my BCM because I'd rather buy a better optic or more magazines and ammo. But to each, his own.
    Same for me. I put the carbine MOE on Mine and buying ammo with the $$ difference

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    For me it came down to a question of price vs. utility. The Omega drop in rail and MOE handguard are pretty close in weight but the Omega is ~10x the price at $300. All i needed to mount was a flashlight (i may toy with a handstop). Therefore it made way more sense to get the moe and a section of rail to mount the light with. Like they say: mission drives the gear.

Feedback Score
    60 (100%)
    Whenever I have a rifle with full length rails, I generally end up covering all the rails except for about 1or 2 inches for sights and lights. The MOE is just a less cluttered solution for an 1/8th of the price.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most users don't need 48" of continuous rail space. They can be works of CNC/machining art (see LaRue), but time on the CNC machine = more money for you and me to pay.....

Feedback Score
    After looking at the AR picture thread and noticing what people put on the rail (Light, RDS, maybe a Laser, VFG of some sort) the MOE by Magpul does make sense. If only a light and an RDS, then definately the way to go. Not to sound hypocritical, I have rail systems on a couple of my ARs but MOE handguards on others. A light, an RDS and a VFG are about all I would add, so the space for other things is not really needed.

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    I'm a predator hunter, a 3 gun competition shooter, and an average joe farmer. I got into the Troy TRX Extreme when my guy that I buy parts from didn't have the rail I wanted. I compromised for the TRX Extreme and haven't regretted it for a minute. I don't need 4 rails for either competition shooting or especially predator hunting. The only rail I really 'need' is the top rail for a light and BUIS. I still like the full length free float so I can rest the rifle on something for support and not have it resting on the barrel affecting accuracy, which it does. I first had it on my competition rifle and seeing the benefits put one on my predator rifle, a dressed up Remington R-15. I have since purchased a complete BCM lower & upper with a 12" DD LITE rail that I plan on running my AAC SPR/M4 suppressor on when I get approved. I still don't plan on using all 4 rails but, come on, I gotta have at least one AR with the typical 'evil black rifle' look.

I don't see this as simply a 'trend'. But rather a different option for those that aren't in need for 4 full length free float ultra tactical rails.

http://www.youtube.com/wormydog1724

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This isn't "Ihuntcoyotes.com.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)

Lightbulb

Tube-style handguards can promote a better grip on the rifle, and eliminate the need for a foregrip as well.
    - Either you're part of the problem or you're part of the solution or you're just part of the landscape - Sam (Robert DeNiro) in, "Ronin" -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast