Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's up with the new trend of "rail-ready" forearm/handguard?

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by The_War_Wagon View Post
    Tube-style handguards can promote a better grip on the rifle, and eliminate the need for a foregrip as well.
    How so? (Not challenging, just genuinely curious.)

Feedback Score
    27 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    How so? (Not challenging, just genuinely curious.)
    For me, the slimmer profile of the handguard allows my hand to completely come in contact with the handguard and wrap most of the way around it.. I can't do that with my DD LITE rail. And I just loathe VFG's so I won't ever use one again... Well I might put a FUG on my BCM rifle.
    Last edited by Wormydog1724; 06-12-11 at 12:24.
    http://www.youtube.com/wormydog1724

Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz
    This isn't "Ihuntcoyotes.com.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Personally, I love the feel of quad rails. I don't mount a damn thing besides front sight, AFG and some ladder covers.

But I do see why a lot of people like the Troy TRX style hand guards. It's super easy to have a somewhat "customizable" rail, tailored to the individual users needs/wants etc.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    For me is makes more sence than anything. With todays soliders carrying so much weight all the rail space isnt needed. If you have sprinted through the mountains in full kit on you know where im comming from the lighter the better. You can always spot the guys who dont have to operate out side of the trucks by the shit they carry.

I only need enough rail to mount my IR designator, sights and white light thats it, the rest it just weight.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    I think it goes and comes about as another option for people.

Lot of them are cheaper so its more financially sound for some, some like the way it fits their hand better, some like to reduce weight down to every ounce possible, some just hate having un-used rail space, don't like the look of rails, etc.

Opposite side of the fence of course is those who like the feel of the railed hand guard in their hands (especially when you get to selecting rail covers to optimize the feel), the weight is not a big issue in general or the weight is close enough, like the railed look, don't want to lose certain benefits of certain ones (where they can mount gear, free floating, etc), etc.

I really don't think there is that much of a right or wrong here as long as its a quality hand guard, just what the person does with it can be a bad thing in my opinion.

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I went with the Troy TRX Extreme rail simply because I don't need all the rail space offered by the quad railed forends. Only the top of my rifle has a rail and on it is mounted my front and rear BUS, a RDS, and the pressure switch for my light. It's a nice slender rail that offers a solid grip. I might experiment with a stubby grip to see how I like it. To do so I would just add a short section of rail on the bottom of my forend. If I decide I don't like the stubby then I can remove it and the rail section it was mounted on.

I think another thing worth mentioning is the current aftermarket support for TRX/VTAC rails from Troy, as well as for the MOE forend from Magpul. Impact Weapon Components (IWC) offers quite a bit in the way of light mounts, sling points, etc. specifically for these forends that don't required the addition of rail sections at all.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    The posts above explain some of the reasons we started Impact Weapons Components (IWC) last year. We saw a trend in the market away from Quad 1913 Rails, moving instead towards "Rail Ready" options like the TROY, JPI, MOE, where people can save money & weight by adding a small rail section to the fore end / hand guard and then a separate 1913 mount for the device they wish to attach to the weapon. We designed our MOUNT-N-SLOT brand Direct Attach Mounts with attachment features incorporated directly into the mount. IWC's mounts continue the overall concept of the JPI, MOE & TROY type fore ends by eliminating weight, cost and total part count.

MOUNT-N-SLOT

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    As someone with small-ish hands, a full quad rail with covers/panels was simply uncomfortable to operate. When I realized how little of the 36 linear inches of rail I was using it was a no brainer to go with cheap (MOE) hand guards and some IWC mounts.

I have a light, QD sling mount and T-1 on a carbine. The only thing on a rail is the T-1, and that's on the receiver. The mounts offered these days make it quite easy to not use any rails on the hand guards at all...if you choose to do so.

Harold

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Having both a DD upper w Troy rail, as well as a Noveske upper with Magpul MOE handguards, I can tell you the weight difference is significant, and being able to reduce weigh without trading attachment ability imho is a major issue to consider.
    I have come to realize (admit to myself?) that this whole rail thing can be more a visual/image issue than a utility one - especially when needing only limited attachment points. And at a lot less $$$$!
    Of course if a free floating set up is wanted, this point is mute, but other than that the more I shoot with the MOE guards, the more I like them.
    This is why in the very near future you will see a lightly abused Troy mid MRF rail offered for sale
    Which in turn will finance the purchase of a free float lt wt rail.
    A rather lengthy way of saying, just another option of whatever works best for you in your situation.
    Per Ardua ad Astra.
    STS - gone but not forgotten.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushmaster-M4A3 View Post
    Where there used to be full length quad rails for the carbines and rails. Now I'm seeing some guns with handguard/forearm designs that are "rail ready", and can add pieces of rail with attachment. Is this a better solution? Or just another trend? Seems to come out with the Magpul MOE handguard which uses this concept.
    I just built my first personal AR with a Magpul MOE handguard. My reasoning was weight. A full length quad-rail is heavy. By my thinking, that defeats the purpose of a carbine.
    Last edited by sgtjosh; 06-13-11 at 01:05.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast