Background- I'm military, qualify with the M9 twice a year, carry it deployed as a secondary, etc... etc...

I took two classes with Tom Bullins at Trigger Time with my issued M4 and M9 on the unit's dime, took a Magpul Handgun 2 class with my G21 out of my own pocket (worth it!).

I rarely shoot the M9 in training, I hardly get to shoot as much as you would think a combat arms guy would, and all of my progress over the last couple of years (barely qualifying to missing perfect by one or two pulled shots) I accredit to shooting on my own, sometimes as often as every weekend, and dry firing in my living room A LOT. I still consider myself a beginner and would never tell anyone I'm good, I'm just into it, which puts me at the front of the pack in my unit unfortunately.

I have gotten my girlfriend into shooting and she almost always comes with me and shoots my weapons. I own a DDM4v2 that looks like its sponsored by Magpul and a G21 with some Ameriglo sights on it (Orange font, blacked out rears, I love it).

At the end of the year I will have a large pile of tax free money and I want to pick up another weapon. I 110% believe in "shooting the damn gun" and prioritizing ammo and training over expanding a collection, but I still want one. I have a couple lines of thought on where to go I was hoping to share and get some feedback on.

I love my G21. LOVE it. My 110lb girlfriend would love it, but it is physically too big for her, she can not properly grip it with her firing hand, if she has it in the web of her hand she can't reach the trigger, and if she can reach the trigger the base of her thumb ends up under the slide and gets rubbed raw after a mag or two from the frame jumping in her hand, .45 is probably too much for her as well and she will occasionally lose her grip after a shot.

I love .45 and want to own only .45 so that I only have to buy/stockpile .45, but I want her to have fun too. I'd say I'm really getting a gun for her but I want to get use out of it too.

So here are the options I am thinking of and why,

A Beretta 92 - 9mm for her, smaller, plus it will allow me to train on my own with the same weapon I carry. Cons to this are I don't ****ing want one, I don't want her dealing with DA/SA, I don't want to deal with DA/SA, this is like trading my 10mpg Camaro for a 50mpg Prius, it makes the most sense but god I don't want to.

1911 - I want a 1911 (I feel obligated as an American to own one), she has gotten to mess with them and she likes them too, but it's still .45 which is good for me but may be an issue for her. Cons to this are that it does nothing for me training wise, may lead to me spending $3,000 on a custom handgun in the future.

G19 - Fits her great, I could actually CCW (although I probably wouldn't, I go on/off base too much unfortunately), 9mm. 9mm is probably the only con, like I said I would PREFER to stay all one caliber.