Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking Out Loud (Help with next gun)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Some unconventional advice:

Learn to reload for .45 ACP.

Powder puff loads with .45 are as soft as a 9mm.

Lead, reloaded .45 ammo, buying the bullets at $.08 each is as cheap or cheaper than new, jacketed 9mm (yes, it's not a totally fair comparison).

Buy whatever .45 fits the GFs hand and you wouldn't mind owning also.
    Last edited by mizer67; 06-13-11 at 16:56.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Either get something for her or get something for you. Trying to find something that is going to be perfect for both will more than likely disappoint each of you. If she is only tagging along with you when you go shooting then get something like the Beretta and let her shoot it. If she wants to really start shooting and not just come with, then find out what she likes.
    Certified Glock Armorer

Feedback Score
    107 (100%)
    I'd say if its for her a Glock 19 would be a good choice since she if used to firing the 21.

I just got a HK P 30 lem V1 (light). And it is very nice, the ergo's cant be beat.

I carry a Glock 21 on duty and hate it.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Trade the g21 for a g19, and buy the M9 if you want to train with your issued firearm. 9mm ball sucks, but quality carry/duty ammo should not be discounted. To get into 1911s would be a step back or cost prohibitive for a lot of people to maintain them and their skills. I agree, combat arms personnel should be able to shoot more.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    9mm FMJ training ammunition is back to decent prices and a well kept used Glock Model-19 2nd or very early 3rd Gen version should be in the $350.00 range. I would suggest getting her something she likes to shoot and the Model-19 is very effective with any of the listed loads on DocGKR's list.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887
    Last edited by PA PATRIOT; 06-13-11 at 20:41.

Feedback Score
    While I realize that handguns are a fun hobby for a lot of people, and that having a lot of different handguns can be fun, it's clear that you are in a decidedly different catagory of people that are required to view the handgun as a lifesaving tool above all other uses.

Having said that, I would strongly suggest going with the M9 if you don't already own one. I think that as a soldier or LEO, it's critical that familarity with the issued weapon be held at the highest priority, even if the issued weapon may have certain undesirable characteristics. I would suggest setting the gf up with a different 9mm platform if she doesn't like the M9, but the way I see it the M9 is almost mandatory.

Here's a similar scenario. I am an LEO. I love running my carbine. I wish I could concentrate more on training with carbines. But the reality is, I don't carry a patrol rifle on duty, and am infinitely more likely to end up using my issued handgun in any incidents that occur than a carbine. Hence, the bulk of my training time is spent with the pistol.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12