Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sound reducing muzzle brake

Feedback Score

sound reducing muzzle brake

Hey guys, my AR has the stock A2 on it, and I've been looking at other brakes to help reduce the sound. I'm not too worried about recoil or muzzle climb because i just shoot steel and paper. I saw DPMS has a linear compensator, and so does noveske. I'm running a 16" carbine, so I'm not sure those would do much. What brakes work well for noise reduction?

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by cthompson36 View Post
    Hey guys, my AR has the stock A2 on it, and I've been looking at other brakes to help reduce the sound. I'm not too worried about recoil or muzzle climb because i just shoot steel and paper. I saw DPMS has a linear compensator, and so does noveske. I'm running a 16" carbine, so I'm not sure those would do much. What brakes work well for noise reduction?
    Oh, you mean that you want a suppressor?

If a muzzle device reduces the Db levels, it is a suppressor...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Brakes don't reduce sound. And they are for recoil and muzzle flip.

Feedback Score
    no, but a the linear compensators say they reduce the sound the shooter hears, it redirects it i guess. I dont want to do a surpressor

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5...ar-Compensator it says it redirects the noise, and i was wondering if there were others that did that and if they were any good
    Last edited by cthompson36; 09-18-12 at 18:28.

Feedback Score
    21 (100%)
    no, but a the linear compensators say they reduce the sound the shooter hears, it redirects it i guess. I dont want to do a surpressor

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5...ar-Compensator it says it redirects the noise, and i was wondering if there were others that did that and if they were any good
    I have used a Levang (I'm glad I didn't buy it, and I'm glad it isn't on my carbine,) or something so similar I can't tell the difference from looking at it...

Honestly, wear earpro, or get a can. Simple as that.

I personally don't find enough benefit from that thing to be worth the outlay of $35. I'd rather put that $35 towards good earpro...

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Even with the linear compensator, it will ring your bell with its redirection. I use them on an ar when I feel like watching the the muzzle not move. Good for that. Not for sound reduction.
    Last edited by fixit69; 09-18-12 at 18:35.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    How about the vortex? I've heard it's the best cage you can get for flash ? Anyone have experience with it?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    If it reduces sound then it will be considered a suppressor and as such it becomes a case of "Hello tax stamp!". If you want an example of a brake/flash suppressor, look at the XM177's muzzle device. You can however redirect the noise and Noveske's KX3 Flash Suppressor which redirects the muzzle blast away from the shooter.

Quote Originally Posted by Blak1508 View Post
    How about the vortex? I've heard it's the best cage you can get for flash ? Anyone have experience with it?
    The OP appears to be wanting a compensator, not a flash suppressor which you seem to be recommending and the Vortex does absolutely nothing to effect noise.
    "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." - H. L. Mencken

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    He also said he does not want a supressor, and your saying that he is not looking for a flash suppressor, to which your recommending one. I understand it you can redirect the noise with it and all but I've also heard that the vortex does the same, I do not have experience with either of them though that's why I asked. It was more of an idea then a reccomendation, but thanks for clearing it up that it will not work for what he is looking for . I do know that the vortex shows almost no flash if any..again though not what the OP is looking for
    Last edited by Blak1508; 09-18-12 at 20:01.

Feedback Score
    if theres no great option for sound reduction, whats a good brake to reduce recoil?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast