Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AR trigger grease

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AR trigger grease

I just bought a very lightly used LMT 2 stage trigger and am about to install it. All the previous threads seem to recommend AeroShell grease #6 or Mobil #28. I have two questions:

1. Obviously the pins should be greased. How about the contact points on the sear and hammer? Many other posts, including the famous "15 minute trigger job" floating around, suggest polishing these surfaces. Wouldn't grease inhibit this polishing? I am in no way going to stone or polish anything, and I can stand less than "baby butt" smoothness until it breaks in - not a bench rest guy. And I'm not going to send it to Springfield or anyone else. I just want to install it once, the best it can be, and go shoot it.

2. The 2 greases above seem a) pricey and b) come in a big tube. Can a good Moly lube/paste from an auto parts place give just as good results? If not, anyone know where I can find a small tube (like comes with the Geisselle)?

I try to be a no voodoo guy - bore snake, clean with Hoppe's elite and lube with Mobile 1 - and don't want to add anything to the KISS routine unless really needed. Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by bananaman; 06-16-11 at 18:15.

Feedback Score
    http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=133862

This stuff has lasted for over 5000 rounds in my AR. It would have gone longer but I cleaned everything at that point and put on some fresh stuff.

That said, I've also used lithium grease from the auto parts store and I don't notice much of a difference.
    Last edited by Keesh; 06-16-11 at 22:08.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Geissele Automatics come with a tube of Mobil #28 that's gotta tell you something...
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Geissele Automatics come with a tube of Mobil #28 that's gotta tell you something...
    And the instructions tell you to put it on the engagement surfaces.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoryCop25 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    And the instructions tell you to put it on the engagement surfaces.
    Yeah, I get both those parts. Strongly considered just getting an SSA and be done with it. IIRC, the Geissele pins are a closer fit than standard and likely the engagement surfaces are already polished. I was just thinking the LMT is a bet less "refined", uses the stock pins, and having read some possibly dubious advice about polishing it myself or using lapping compound to smooth things out (not on a Geiselle) that putting lube on them immediately would have the opposite effect.

Also not disinclined to spend $12 on a HUGE tub of Mobile #28 (My can of Loctite C5 I use on my Glocks will last several lifetimes) I just don't want to spend $ if something simpler would suffice for a part that doesn't need routine lube.

Thanks for indulging the noob o wise gurus of the forum.
    Last edited by bananaman; 06-17-11 at 12:35. Reason: Punctuation

Feedback Score
    I'm going to let you in on a dirty little secret, when it comes to triggers grease is grease. When you start talking about high pressures and temps, or other high stress applications it can start to get complicated, but an AR trigger group is none of the above. I use wheel bearing grease for just about everything gun related because if it can hold under tens of thousands of miles and still be good, nothing that happens in a firearm is going to hurt it. If i want to go supper slippery I use a moly paste I got from Bushmaster. I bought two 35mm film canister sized containers of this stuff almost 15 years ago, and I haven't run out yet.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Thank you. Maybe I was fishing for this validation.

I started as a "Mil Spec, CLP only" as a noob to the AR, then tried everything new and/or better. Finally settled on what worked, for the cheapest and easiest. In fact, when the Hoppes Elite runs out will just clean with Simple Green HD (purple stuff) available at Home Depot. Learned about that when I owned a (cough, cough) AK and it worked great.

Just never been a believer in using the latest, greatest, distilled virgin breast sweat essence peddled for $15 per oz, or to paraphrase Iraqgunz in a recent thread, "use Mobile 1, Vagisil or Duncan Hines vanilla frosting". Just lube it well, don't be to anal-retentive about cleaning it use the savings to buy more ammo and shoot the thing.
    Last edited by bananaman; 06-18-11 at 21:26. Reason: Style

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt_Gold View Post
    I'm going to let you in on a dirty little secret, when it comes to triggers grease is grease. When you start talking about high pressures and temps, or other high stress applications it can start to get complicated, but an AR trigger group is none of the above. I use wheel bearing grease for just about everything gun related because if it can hold under tens of thousands of miles and still be good, nothing that happens in a firearm is going to hurt it. If i want to go supper slippery I use a moly paste I got from Bushmaster. I bought two 35mm film canister sized containers of this stuff almost 15 years ago, and I haven't run out yet.
    Glad I'm not the only one. I've been using a fairly ordinary red-colored lithium complex grease, NLGI #1 (the thicker #2 is more common) that I bought from the auto parts section of a local supermart - about $3 for 16oz I believe. It works great. Have used it on two Geissele triggers and two Armalite triggers on the contact areas. I use a gun oil (FP-10 or Weaponshield in my case) on the joint of trigger/hammer and their respective pins. The tiny tubes of grease that Geissele includes are unopened awaiting future use. Maybe I'll use that on my next Geissele install and see if I can tell any difference.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I use Redline Racing's assembly lube on mine.

When I had the stock trigger it kind of sucked. I took it out, cleaned everything up, and lubed it with the Redline and it was a shite load better.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    This http://www.smithenterprise.com/spec/..._Lubricant.pdf Or at Maxpedition http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/...F-7-35p253.htm

Priced right too.

It can be used on everything.

APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: XF-7 must be applied only over clean, dry metal for best results.

DO NOT apply over other lubricant residue or fouling, as this will keep the XF-7 from adhering properly to the metal substrate. Other lubes can be applied over XF-7, but they may adversely affect the adhesion and performance of the XF-7. Metal surfaces can be prepped for XF-7 application by washing in warm soap and water and then drying thoroughly, or by degreasing with chemical degreasers (Acetone, MEK, etc.) that leave no residue behind. Use all appropriate solvent handling safety procedures.

1. Apply XF-7 by squeezing a small amount out of the syringe and onto the surface of the metal to be protected and lubricated.

2. Rub it in thoroughly with fingers, patch or brush.

3. Remove excess XF-7

When finished, you should have a viable but thin, uniform layer of XF-7 over the entire surface to be lubricated and protected.

A little goes a long way. XF-7 will not drip, run or melt.

Note: XF-7 can be used to prevent corrosion in the gun bores, but care must be taken to remove excess lubricant. Run a patch lightly coated with XF-7 through a clean bore once, breach from muzzle for best results. For best accuracy, run a dry patch through the bore prior to firing.

Remove XF-7 from metal, hands, or clothing by washing with soap and water. Note that XF-7 requires NO hazmat equipment to handle, apply, store or dispose.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast