Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: AR trigger grease

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    "Microgel", in this case, being a trademarked name for clay-based (bentonite) thickener. That's not an awful choice for guns.. probably better than lithium based grease. Aluminum base is generally beter, though.
    I'm curious - why? My limited knowledge of grease comes from farm and heavy machinery, where lithium complex is considered good enough for more than 90% of uses, usually with some form of EP additive and most often in a NLGI #2 thickness.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

XF7

Here is more information that I found on XF7 from 2005

My name is Kevin McClung, and I am the XF7 guy.
    My company is called MD Labs.
    I am located in Prescott Valley, Az.

MD Labs is a small family business, and everything we make or do is directed towards police and military use. Naturally, a lot of civilians use our products too, especially Mad Dog Knives and now, MD Labs XF7 Weapon Lubricant.

XF7 has undergone extensive field trials over the last three years in Yuma Arizona during summer operation with the USMC, 29 Palms, Iraq, A'stan, and numerous marine environment tests including a lot of tests done in the Virgina Beach area, all prior to our releasing it for sale. It has also been tested well north of the Arctic Circle in winter, on tugboats in San Pedro Harbor ( extreme test: ran on the tug's propeller for four days with no loss), and in the jungles of Panama and Costa Rica.
    Rest assured that XF7 has been proven in virtually every possible climate found on this planet.

I originally designed XF7 to be a maritime weapon lubricant expressly for SEAL/SDV Team useage. It does not come off in salt water or fresh water, and makes an incredible corrosion inhibitor.
    It also has marvelous properties of heat and extreme cold resistance, so it turned out to have a lot of other non-maritime weapon related applications as well.

The fact that XF7 is nontoxic and cleans up with soap and water makes it a much safer alternative to conventional lubricants on the market today.
    XF7 also reduces the necessity of using toxic cleaning solvents on the firearms, and reduces the attendant health risks incurred by exposure to typical weapon solvents and cleaners which usually contain benzene, butylcellusolve and a host of other nasty chemicals.

XF7 will not harm O rings or optical glass and plastics.
    An added bonus of using XF7 per the very specific instructions found in each package is the ease of cleanup after shooting.
    Fouling and carbon just wipe off of the weapon. Even on problem areas like the inside of the bolt recess on the AR15/M16 bolt carrier.
    Many operators using XF7 on the M249 report that the previous nightmare of cleaning the charcoal briquette (aka the gas block) has been alleviated entirely with XF7 use. Now it takes longer to remove and re-install the gasblock than it does to clean it.

Ron Smith's experience with XF7 has been so good that it is now the only lubricant used on Smith Enterprise weapons. I am told it is also used as an assembly lube on US Optics scopes.
    Unlike teflon loaded products that deteriorate, combust and produce extremely toxic and very corrosive hydroflourides when exposed to temperatures above 500 F,
    XF7 has no corrosive or toxic byproducts.
    Unlike oil and grease based products that lose their properties by 400F and begin burning into carbonized scum that welds itself to the weapon, XF7 will not burn onto the surfaces it is intended to protect.

I am deeply gratified with the acceptance of this relatively young product.
    XF7 is made in America, by an American family, for use by American troops killing America's enemies.

XF7 was first released for sale in April of 2004 after 18 months of exhaustive field trials by unpaid military and police betasite testers.

XF7 standard packaging is a 15cc syringe packaged with an MSDS and complete instructions for use.
    In response to further input from military users in the field, we have some new package types available, the Rifle Pack and the Pocket Pack.
    Rifle Packs are 4.5cc each and come two to a package, they are configured to store easily in the grip of the M4 or in the butt trap of the M16 or other rifles.
    The larger 15cc Pocket Pack stores easily in the pocket or field cleaning kit.
    Both new packages are reclosable, swimmable and dust/dirt/mud resistant when properly sealed.

Last but certainly not least XF7 costs less, ounce per ounce, than many lesser "wonder" lubricants, especially that overpriced teflon loaded crap that looks like oily elephant snot.

XF7 is currently available through distribution from:

http://www.mdtactical.com

http://www.maxpedition.com

http://www.brownells.com

Smith Enterprise in Tempe Az. will soon be set up for military contract distribution. In the meantime, police departmental or platoon and larger military orders can be handled directly through my facility.
    Individual military and police orders should be made through the existing dealers shown above.

Here are some links to some XF7 success stories and data on www.tacticalforums.com

Smith Enterprise Formally Endorses XF7
    http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...c;f=5;t=000734

MD Labs XF7 Weapon Lube
    http://www.tacticalforums.com/cgi-bi...=000569#000000

I hope that this post has answered any questions.
    Try some XF7, you are going to love it.

XF7 will not melt, run drip, evaporate or migrate due to heat or cold.XF7 remains a virtually perfect oxygen barrier even at 750F in normal atmosphere. XF7 operating temps run down to liquid nitrogen temps(-300F)

Feedback Score
    That's quite a pitch for Mad Dog. I've been using it for years, as a base coat when I buy new receivers, BCG's, etc. I don't know that it would be ideal for triggers, however. When I first found Weaponshield, the owner told me that using it over the base coat of XF7 would be fine and results should be great, but that the WS would actually migrate under the XF! So I began to use WS more and more. I think the member here who first put me onto that idea was toddackerman, so you can search for that thread if you want. So that confirmed for the the value of not worrying about stripping stuff down to install XF, but rather to continue simply using it on new stuff. Minimize brain damage.

But the thread of course is about the value of all these various lubes for TRIGGER use. I didn't see anything in the XF pitch about that, but I may have missed it, since it was so long... Also, it could be that in the trigger's initial breaking-in period you'd want to lube it up as the surfaces begin to wear in over a thousand rounds or whatever. But for duty use where you'd need a degree of accuracy--or in competition with likewise parameter--especially in dusty conditions, I wouldn't choose to use a dust-attracting lube on my trigger. O.K. sorry about that: more than 2 cents.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by carbinero View Post
    That's quite a pitch for Mad Dog.
    Just sayin' the product is worth looking into.

But the thread of course is about the value of all these various lubes for TRIGGER use. I didn't see anything in the XF pitch about that, but I may have missed it, since it was so long... it could be that in the trigger's initial breaking-in period you'd want to lube it up as the surfaces begin to wear in over a thousand rounds or whatever.
    Sorry if it exceeded your reading threshold for information. Why would it not be of value for a trigger? Does said trigger have parts that touch (friction)? Does it have the ability to be exposed to moisture? I thought I read in that looong post that you didn't read it is good for both of those applications. Also the reason I asked in a previous post, "why buy several products for different applications"?

your Also, But for duty use where you'd need a degree of accuracy--or in competition with likewise parameter--especially in dusty conditions, I wouldn't choose to use a dust-attracting lube on my trigger. O.K. sorry about that: more than 2 cents.
    From Smith Enterprises...

Of special note for troop units in Iraq and Afghanistan is the problem of shortened service life of a weapon as a result of the abrasive slurry caused by using conventional hydrocarbon oils/PTFE/Teflon based compounds. Simply put, these compounds attract foreign objects and contaminants creating this abrasive slurry and this slurry then turns into a hard abrasive crust as the oils cook off, leaving carbonized grit welded to the weapon.
    Such is not the case with XF-7 merely because it does not attract foreign objects and does not cook off.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    When I first found Weaponshield, the owner told me that using it over the base coat of XF7 would be fine and results should be great, but that the WS would actually migrate under the XF! So I began to use WS more and more. I think the member here who first put me onto that idea was toddackerman, so you can search for that thread if you want. So that confirmed for the the value of not worrying about stripping stuff down to install XF, but rather to continue simply using it on new stuff. Minimize brain damage.
    I'm not sure I believe those claims of the product migrating under the XF7 but you would have to ask Mad Dog for that answer. I'm sure he could tell you.

As far as cleaning the weapon first before installing the XF7, I see no problem there. Use orderless mineral sprits or Dawn for Dishes & hot water. Then XF7. Just be sure to throughly dry the parts!

Which part damaged your brain?

M

Feedback Score
    I just don't see the value of disassembling and stripping LPKs every time I wanna re-apply lube. Are you a marketer for XF7? For goodness sake I bought 2 tubes of it and continue to use it! Do you have extensive experience using it? If so, please tell.

Understand my point was that copying the whole of a manufacturer's website might not be the most effective way to disseminate info, especially when it doesn't mention the word "trigger." You could merely say this and be at peace: they claim "it does not attract foreign objects and does not cook off." So now you said it. We're very likely on the same team, so I apologize for not being more tactful and hope we can get back OT.
    "Men speak of natural rights, but I challenge any one to show where in nature any rights existed or were recognized until there was established for their declaration and protection a duly promulgated body of corresponding laws." --Calvin Coolidge

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    carbinero,

I went back and re-read your posts in this thread. You seem like the type of guy who buys whatever is the latest or greatest. That is your prerogative. Keep stimulating the economy.

I do not sell the product I recommended. I do use it and see it's benefits (as I have pointed out). I have many different types of weapons but I use one lube. One product that does everything.

That may not suit someone who is constantly in search of the holy grail of lubes. Yep, it didn't say trigger. Better find a new lube! Really?

Here's a question for you. What compelled you to put another lube over the XF7? Why stop at two, why not three or four?
    Last edited by mikeyd501; 06-22-11 at 20:10.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I hope that didn't come off as a slam. I read the post after I posted it and it sounded a little harsh.

I didn't mean to be.

Feedback Score
    When I need something, I research and buy the best available, at a price I can afford, whether that's Noveske or Toyota. I think anybody here who shoots a lot will tell you they have various lubes and cleaning stuff on their benches, much more than they need, and not as much as they'd like, since better lube, etc. helps us use our guns more effectively, and maybe even more economically. So we're all doing our part to stimulate the economy.

Sentry Solutions Moly is six bucks a tube. I don't know if that's the best stuff for the job, nor do I think that's a lot of money to spend, especially if you have multiple guns and want the best lube for those triggers. The OP is about trigger lubes, so let's go back there. If you wish, you can edit what you write in your posts instead of posting again.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I'm curious - why? My limited knowledge of grease comes from farm and heavy machinery, where lithium complex is considered good enough for more than 90% of uses, usually with some form of EP additive and most often in a NLGI #2 thickness.
    Clay and aluminum bases tend to stand up to heat better than lithium based grease. If your application never gets hot, then lithium is excellent bang for the buck. Plus, lithium tends to resist water pretty well.

Clay based grease is popular for aviation applications (i.e. landing gear). Those wheel bearings don't get exposed to a lot of water or dirt, but they get white hot when the brakes come on every time the airplane lands. Clay grease doesn't go runny as it heats up, and unlike metal soap bases, it doesn't get gummy or plastic if you overheat it. The downside to clay bases is that they can absorb a ton of water.

Aluminum based grease is the kind of stuff used in marine bearings. It doesn't soak up water hardly at all. Tends to be slightly better than lithium for high heat, but the downside is it will get rubbery if you do overcook it. Quality lithium with EP additive is probably just as good. I may be biased, as I've been using the same tub of green aluminum boat trailer grease mixed up with moly powder on my guns for ages.

Anyway, vagisil or vanilla frosting will work too if reapplied as necessary. A couple weeks ago (I shit you not) I met a guy who told me he once repacked a wheel bearing with a banana in order to limp home.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast