Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: AR trigger grease

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I think the logic really boils down to:
    1) If you trust Geissele, use the grease he recommends and includes.
    2) If you're cheap and like experimenting, pick up a $3 tube of grease at the local hardware/auto parts store, either a standard lithium complex base or a marine formula. I've used both with excellent and very similar results.
    3) Buy a high-tech dedicated gun grease like the ones referenced above and be happy. It may cost $15 but will probably last years given the tiny amounts used on guns.
    I do trust Giessele. They make a really well thought out product with great quality and attention to detail. It only follows that GA would ship their triggers with fancy grease.

If GA triggers came with anything other than the fanciest Gucci-grease known to man, people on forums like this would be bitching about GA skimping on the grease. I still have a half full little red vial of Geissele's grease laying around somewhere in the shed, but I'm perfectly OK with using boat trailer grease mixed with moly powder. Before you label me as the kind of guy who eats caviar on Wal Mart brand saltines, consider that moly powder is probably more expensive pound-for-pound than even Aeroshell grease.
    Last edited by kartoffel; 06-23-11 at 15:14.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by bananaman View Post
    Thank you. Maybe I was fishing for this validation.

I started as a "Mil Spec, CLP only" as a noob to the AR, then tried everything new and/or better. Finally settled on what worked, for the cheapest and easiest. In fact, when the Hoppes Elite runs out will just clean with Simple Green HD (purple stuff) available at Home Depot. Learned about that when I owned a (cough, cough) AK and it worked great.

Just never been a believer in using the latest, greatest, distilled virgin breast sweat essence peddled for $15 per oz, or to paraphrase Iraqgunz in a recent thread, "use Mobile 1, Vagisil or Duncan Hines vanilla frosting". Just lube it well, don't be to anal-retentive about cleaning it use the savings to buy more ammo and shoot the thing.

just used that for my sig line

totally agree with you, grease is grease. i worked in a auto parts store for a few years and one thing i learned is that most lubes are tested to the same spec...(Napa 10w30 is from the same barrels as Valvoline, the companies are owned by the same people). that said, i do think that there is a difference when it comes to high heat/pressure areas and use either Mobil 1 or Amsoil.
    President of Trigon Armament Inc.

FFL-07 SOT-02

AR-15 Armorer

Competitive Shooter

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Just a follow up and a thanks for all the thoughtful responses.

Took the LMT 2-stage out to the range after lubing the pins with some moly auto grease and just a dab on the engagement surfaces. Works great, liked the 2-stage alot. Damn, now I'll have to save $ for a Giessele and compare.

The big surprise was that I gave the same treatment to my stock GI trigger on another gun. Grease on the pins and just a toothpick dab to the sear. It has the Wolff reduced power trigger spring and disconnector installed. Made a huge difference there. Trigger pull couldn't have been more than 5 pounds, no creep or grittty feel. Yet not too light to worry about using it under stress. Huge difference for $10 total - I recommend it highly.

I do have a tube of Aeroshell #6 on order, and will replace the moly when it comes in. But I'm definitely a believer in trigger pin and engagement surface grease now.

Happy 4th to everybody. We would still be drinking hot tea and paying taxes to the queen if it weren't for our brave forefathers bearing arms against tyranny. This board is a testament to that legacy.
    Last edited by bananaman; 07-07-11 at 13:28. Reason: Grammer
    "The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire." - Robert A. Heinlein

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Last edited by ALCOAR; 07-15-11 at 18:58.

Feedback Score
    Spent three bucks on a tube a white lithium grease a while ago, works just fine.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Upon recommendation from my gunsmith, I use RyDol. Seems to work well, but it does require periodic reapplication.

Additional info: http://rydol.com/techdetails.html#Colloidal Chemistry

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I just bought this new grease, well I bought the bacon it came from and I just got to tell you, it's the best grease ever! Not only does my trigger run smoother it smells better than any of your triggers.

I will be applying it to all my guns now!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I hear whale oil was all the rage 150 years ago.

On a more serious note: has anyone tested olive oil as a semi-auto lubricant? I mean, has anyone done any published testing? Is there anything in olive oil that would be deleterious to function, such as salts? Would it stand up to the heat encountered in an AR?
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Amicus View Post
    I hear whale oil was all the rage 150 years ago.

On a more serious note: has anyone tested olive oil as a semi-auto lubricant? I mean, has anyone done any published testing? Is there anything in olive oil that would be deleterious to function, such as salts? Would it stand up to the heat encountered in an AR?
    Surely you jest.

You could fry bacon on the barrel of an AR. and olive oil is no good for frying stuff.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am going to try the olive oil with some moly and see how that works. Thanks for the tip. BTW are you using EVOO?

Do not mix moly with the bacon grease. It takes the aroma away which is half the benefit of the bacon grease!
    Last edited by mikeyd501; 07-03-11 at 11:21.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast