Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SPR? Help!

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)

SPR? Help!

Ok, in a different thread I was thinking and asking opinions about a bolt gun. One or more posters suggested an SPR type rifle instead.

I'm looking to most likely shoot within 500 yards using 77gr ammo. There are so many options out there so I'm looking for advice if one is better then the other.

Option 1;
    BCM MK12 Mod 0 Bravo upper with the PRI Hand guard
    BCM Lower with Geissele DMR Trigger and Magpul ACS
    KAC Micro 600M rear sight

Option 2;
    18" Larue Stealth Upper with Troy folding sights
    Larue Lower with Colts LPK, Geissele DMR Trigger and Magpul ACS

Option 3;
    Larue PredatAR 5.56

My concern with the PredatAR's Pencil barrel is that it will heat up too quickly and open up group size.

The optic will be most likely a Leupold VX-R Patrol either in 1.25-4 or the 3-9...mounted in a Larue SPR/M4 mount.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    If I were shooting within 500 yards and already looking at rifles with those prices, I would go with a Noveske 16".

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=

Are you trying to shoot prarie dogs or something? Do you shoot in high winds?

What is selling you on an 18" barrel?
    Why do the loudest do the least?

Feedback Score
    41 (98%)
    18" I would want the MK12 profile barrel with rifle gas. BCM makes that barrel and Centurion or HCS sells the mil spec MK12 barrels.

16" is more handy and works well with the mid length gas. They are just as accurate but an 18" w/ rifle gas shoots 'that' much smoother as well as a slight velocity gain.

Why the PRI handguard?

With an 18" I would prefer a bit more magnification and have it serve as a dedicated LR (for 5.56 anyways) rifle.

16" I would want a 1-4X type optic and have it be a jack of all trades..or even go with a 14.5" Noveske Afghan barrel for an even more compact setup. I have had all 3 lengths and they all work well. Just a difference of personal preference setup between each.

Noveske owned photo (14.5" Afghan):

Last edited by Belmont31R; 11-14-11 at 20:44.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I'm playing with this parts build right now. Choped up BCM A4 with a 1-4 power optic. I realy wish I had a more powerfull optic but times are tight. So I jumped this off my 16" rifle. I like the 20" barrel alot with the long hand guard but I'm a big guy so I can toss it around.

I think any of the choice's you listed are great but I would choose a heavy profile barrel.

Last edited by ICANHITHIMMAN; 11-14-11 at 21:30.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    If I were shooting within 500 yards and already looking at rifles with those prices, I would go with a Noveske 16".

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...status=&title=

Are you trying to shoot prarie dogs or something? Do you shoot in high winds?

What is selling you on an 18" barrel?
    The reasons Belmont31R listed. No prairie dogs that I know of around here...we do have some feral dogs move into the woods behind the house tho...

The Noveske Rifles are great, owned a N4 and a Reece SS before. I just feel like that I get more for my $ if I build one myself.
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 11-14-11 at 21:43.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Belmont31R View Post
    18" I would want the MK12 profile barrel with rifle gas. BCM makes that barrel and Centurion or HCS sells the mil spec MK12 barrels.

16" is more handy and works well with the mid length gas. They are just as accurate but an 18" w/ rifle gas shoots 'that' much smoother as well as a slight velocity gain.

Why the PRI handguard?

With an 18" I would prefer a bit more magnification and have it serve as a dedicated LR (for 5.56 anyways) rifle.

16" I would want a 1-4X type optic and have it be a jack of all trades..or even go with a 14.5" Noveske Afghan barrel for an even more compact setup. I have had all 3 lengths and they all work well. Just a difference of personal preference setup between each.

Noveske owned photo (14.5" Afghan):

Those are some nice looking rifles. As for the PRI hand guard - no specific reason other then the authentic look. Are they not good? Can I get more info on the larue build?
    Last edited by ColdDeadHands; 11-14-11 at 21:45.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I'm playing with this parts build right now. Choped up BCM A4 with a 1-4 power optic. I realy wish I had a more powerfull optic but times are tight. So I jumped this off my 16" rifle. I like the 20" barrel alot with the long hand guard but I'm a big guy so I can toss it around.

I think any of the choice's you listed are great but I would choose a heavy profile barrel.

Thanks for the info, I do like the fact that I could use a 1-4 or 1.25-4 power optic for close quarters if necessary. My dream glass would be the S&B 1.1-8.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdDeadHands View Post
    Thanks for the info, I do like the fact that I could use a 1-4 or 1.25-4 power optic for close quarters if necessary. My dream glass would be the S&B 1.1-8.
    I'm kind of holding out for this MK6 leupold KevinB alluded to in the M110 thread. Same Horus rectical as in the MK8 but less cost which is what I'm all about. I'm realy a Leupold whore great american company with the best pricing for MIL/LE I have ever seen!
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Belmont is on target. The 18" with rifle gas is smooth. My SPR clone is an ADCO built copy built using a White Oak barrel. Shoots great. Better than I can for sure. It is smoother than my 16" middie. Also agree that if you go with the 18" barrel look for something with a bit more on the high end something along the lines of a 3-9 or 2.5-10. If you really want you can put a reflex or red dot in an offset mount do deal with a occasional close encounter. While the 18" would work up close, I would not choose to go into a room with one. VERY nose heavy with a LOT of momentum when you start moving it around. Doable for sure, but if I knew what I was getting into I'd go shorter and thinner. You may also want to get your hands on an ACS. I couldn't get decent cheek weld on one to save my life. Ended up ditching it (shameless plug but it's for sale) for a UBR. The PRS balanced the gun out very well, but I wanted something that was more adjustable. The UBR seems to be a decent compromise. Enough heft to balance the gun better for me and still offer come compactability.

You're looking at dropping some decent cash either way to decide to go. Decide what it is you are looking for. If you want a do it all rifle the 16" Reece type of a build with a 1-4 or 1-6 will do you well at distance and up close. If you want something primarily for hitting things out there with a oh shot up close shot here and there the 18" is the way to go IMO.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ICANHITHIMMAN View Post
    I'm kind of holding out for this MK6 leupold KevinB alluded to in the M110 thread. Same Horus rectical as in the MK8 but less cost which is what I'm all about. I'm realy a Leupold whore great american company with the best pricing for MIL/LE I have ever seen!
    Got anymore info on that scope? Sounds nice but if it's more then a grand I can't swing it...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast