Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: PROJECT: Break my FNX-9.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

PROJECT: Break my FNX-9.

Hey guys,

It is my birthday! And in honor of this insanely awesome event, I purchased myself one of the nifty FNX-9s I have been looking at recently. I was considering getting another G17, but damn that is boring. I figured since you don't see much about the FNX I might as well torture test one. So, in the spirit of my HK P2000, HK45 and the aborted G26 test (aborted by my losing interest in the gun, not a problem with it) I am going to torture test my FNX-9. In fact, I am actually going to shoot it until it breaks. I will not oil it or clean it (except the exterior) until it actually malfunctions. At that point I will oil it or clean it if necessary (why? Why the hell not!?). I also plan to find some humorous tests to perform with it. I am hoping to hit 15k in one year.

Out of the gate, here are my thoughts.

1. I like the format. A Truly ambi DA/SA with cocked and locked mode. It can be run as a true DA/DA if you just ignore the safety. You can also run it DA with safety on if you are a true masochist (or are storing it bedside).

2. The sights are excellent. Best factory sights I have seen. I love the serrated rear rounded notch. I also like the larger front dot. Some clear thinking went into these sights. I was interested to see they skipped on the whole "ledge" thing. Not a big deal since the chances of me using my sights to rack the slide are pretty low.

3. Trigger. In SA it is very light. The reset is short. The DA is garbage. HK and FN should really buy a few 80s and 90s SIGs and see how they managed to make a decent DA. However, this gun is really best carried C&L, so it hardly matters. It does have a weird pre travel click that occurs when the trigger is pulled after the safety is taken off.

4. The grip is better than a Glock, but no HK P30. The grip feels like a thinned up sig. It is actually very good, but it doesn't have the loving feel of the HK P30 and HK45 grip. It actually feels like an HK45c with a Gen4 Glock grip.

5. I really like the slide release(s). It is kind of like a Glock or Classic SIG with a little shelf that should prevents you from riding the slide release. It certainly should be less of an issue with this gun than the P30.

6. The X200 and X300 fit with no drama. Just clicks on with the P adaptor plate.

7. It comes with three mags. Thank you FN. Everybody else, get with it you cheap bastards. Now, if only FN would have given me three mags with my SCAR-17.

8. The mag release is OK. I prefer the HK style but hey, everybody has their own thing.

9. Take down is like a Classic Sig. In other words, perfect and sillyness free.

10. I am a little concerned about the 17 round mags. They feel no where near as sturdy as the HK P30 mags. I know this is unfair since HK is pretty famous for over-building their mags. But it also bothers me that the HK mag is wider, and basically the same height but carries two less rounds. I hope FN didn't cut corners to get those last two rounds in there. My test will tell.

11. Fit n' finish. The FN is not great in this department. Now, this department means the least to me, but I know some folks will care. The red "safety off" dot is only half painted on mine. And there is actually some of the paint on the safety. That tells me they actually have some dude or dudette with a model paintbrush dabbing that on. The black finish is nice, but totally frill free. The plastic "feels" cheap, but it is hard to say if this means anything. It feels very light, which probably contributes to the "cheap" feel. The FN is no HK in this department, but you get to save $300. I can buy a bit of red paint for that.

12. I like the hammer. First, it looks like a Commander/BHP hammer which is always nice.

13. The now industry standard grip panels are a nice touch. Fn tosses in several flavors. I always just keep the standard panels so this doesn't do much for me either way.

Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    Please post some pictures and offer plenty of honest feedback as you go.
    Thanks.

-David

AR-15 owner/shooter since 1998

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think these are great guns that get little attention.
    ...I only wish they made a striker fired version.
    Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle. Psalm 144:1

Owner of MI-TAC, LLC .

@MichiganTactical

Feedback Score
    ...I only wish they made a striker fired version.
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=70748 they do

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    I really forward to this test as well. I own the forty five and it too impresses me. I also have noted before the mags pale in comparison to the HK mags. But whose don't?

I expect this gun to do well, I sure hope it does. If so, maybe it will get some well deserved attention.
    "Air Force / Policeman / Fireman / Man of God / Friend of mine / R.I.P. Steve Lamy"

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    Sounds like its going to be fun, and good luck with the test. I have 2 FNP 9's one with over 2K down range and all I have done is wipe off the dust from the exterior. Its by far the best 9mm I have owned and I have owned glocks,m&p's and XDM's. I think you wi be plesently surprised if you can get over the garbage DA pull and mags. Again good luck and I look foward to following this thread.
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I'll watch this with interest. I really like my FNP9 and thought about the FNX when I was buying. My only gripe with the gun is lack of holster options.

Are you going to clean and lube first before shooting, or go straight with the factory gunk?

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Looking forward to seeing how this gun holds up Greg. It has been to long since your last test.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)
    I think I discovered FN's secret to 17 rounds: they just cut 17 witness holes in a 15 round mag. That really doesn't bother me. I managed to get 16 my mags and I will let them sit until tomorrow. Hopefully I can get in 250 tomorrow and 250 Sunday for a 500 round first weekend.

I need night sights. It looks like Ameriglo makes something. I wonder if I could just change the front sight? I think I am just going to black out the rear with a marker.
    Let those who are fond of blaming and finding fault, while they sit safely at home, ask, ‘Why did you not do thus and so?’I wish they were on this voyage; I well believe that another voyage of a different kind awaits them.”

Christopher Columbus

Feedback Score
    I'm actually a bit interested in the striker fired version.

I concur on the mags seeming underbuilt.

However, I'm used to Glock, and H&K magazines. I've heard M&P mags seem a bit underbuilt, but I don't have enough experience with them to say.

I like that it's a SIG for a Glock guy, and vice versa.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GREG.
    Last edited by Magic_Salad0892; 06-18-11 at 01:15.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast