Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Melonite coated barrel vs Noveske chrome lined barrel.

Feedback Score

S&W Melonite coated barrel vs Noveske chrome lined barrel.

Hello all,

In reference to this post:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=83136

"The Smith sports a full-profile barrel of American 4140 Steel. The bolt carrier and gas key are chromed, and the barrel sports their Melonite coating. Smith claims that the bare bones approach has no effect on durability. They’ve fed two M&P15 Sport test rifles a combined ~170,000 rounds of various brands of ammunition without any [visible] damage to the Melonite finishing process"

does anyone know or can give and educated guess on whether or not the S&W Melonite coated barrel will outlast a Noveske chrome lined barrel?

I thought the article interesting in that the 1/8 gain twist and Melonite coated barrel did pretty well. 170K rounds through 2 prototypes seems like a pretty high round count as I doubt they were easy on them....

Your thoughts on the potential of Melonite coated barrels?

Regards.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would like to know their definition of "damage" because wear isn't really damage. They make it seem like the barrels were basically brand new after the testing which I highly doubt. Also what kind of accuracy are they getting after the test? A worn out barrel would probably last that long without any real damage but it probably wouldn't shoot well.
    Last edited by C-grunt; 06-21-11 at 15:20. Reason: damn phone auto correct
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    You are comparing a cheap ass price point barrel to a high end professional grade barrel.

The Noveske barrel by itself costs more than half the price of the entire SW sport rifle.

What do you think?
    Last edited by scottryan; 06-21-11 at 15:56.
    "Not every thing on Earth requires an aftermarket upgrade." demigod/markm

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Once wear reaches or exceeds allowable limits, it's damage.

The way I see it, if you're going to be shooting 170,000 rounds, you won't be asking Mr. Owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop
    Last edited by MistWolf; 06-21-11 at 16:00.
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post
    You are comparing a cheap ass price point barrel to a high end professional grade barrel.

The Noveske barrel costs more than half the price of the entire SW sport rifle.

What do you think?
    Not sure what to think as if S&W has perfected the Melonite process in the barrels, I wonder if it would be a 'game changer' in barrel mfr?

Do you happen to know the service life of the CL Noveskes?

I understand the Melonite coating process is similar to the Tennifer finish and we all know the Glock rep on barrel life....however, 9mm is a lot less pressure/heat than 5.56.

Just curious of the production costs of chrome vs Melonite/Tennifer.

Anything to drive the costs down but keep quality/performance would be nice.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Once wear reaches or exceeds allowable limits, it's damage.

The way I see it, if you're going to be shooting 170,000 rounds, you won't be asking Mr. Owl how many licks it takes to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop
    Good point!

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    there are a lot of factors to compare here. whose barrel blank did they start, that makes the bigget difference for accuacy.

now if we are just talking durability between chrome and Melonite. Melonite by a mile.

*Melonite is harder then Chrome lining (Melonite is 70 rockwell). *Melonite is not a finish that is applied onto the surface of the barrel, it heats treats the barrel material itself.
    *Mil-Spec chrome lined barrels have chrome that is .0003" to .0005" thick. while the Melonite hardens the material .005" deep.
    *Melonite covers the inside and outside of the barrel.
    *Melonite will not start chipping away with extended use since it is not a surface covering like chrome.

Melonite will not make a crappy barrel into a fantastic barrel. it is just more durable. a very big factor in my book is the quality of barrel used to begin with.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by scottryan View Post

The Noveske barrel by itself costs more than half the price of the entire SW sport rifle.

What do you think?
    While I do agree with you that Noveske chrome barrels are professional grade... I'm curious to know why you think they are a particularly "high end" rack grade barrel.

Please don't say it's because of that double thick chrome and m249 steel stuff...

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtDiver06 View Post
    While I do agree with you that Noveske chrome barrels are professional grade... I'm curious to know why you think they are a particularly "high end" rack grade barrel.

Please don't say it's because of that double thick chrome and m249 steel stuff...
    I don't know what difference the double thick lining really does, but when it comes to steel, better is better. So, the barrel steel should play a part in quality here.

I've owned both Noveske and S&W (upper only) and even without the SS barrel, the Noveske was noticeably more accurate, for me. Another thing I guess one could argue, though I wouldn't, is every Noveske barrel goes through the testing process where S&W batch tests.

I don't know about all those things, but I do know my experience and mine was better than my S&W.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jonconsiglio View Post
    I don't know what difference the double thick lining really does, but when it comes to steel, better is better. So, the barrel steel should play a part in quality here.

I've owned both Noveske and S&W (upper only) and even without the SS barrel, the Noveske was noticeably more accurate, for me. Another thing I guess one could argue, though I wouldn't, is every Noveske barrel goes through the testing process where S&W batch tests.

I don't know about all those things, but I do know my experience and mine was better than my S&W.
    Sorry for the misunderstanding but I wasn't referring to S&W barrels compared to Noveske barrels in general. I was referring to Noveske chrome barrels and Colt, Sabre, BCM, DD and other such chrome rack grade barrels.

I do agree with you that the m249 steel is better but I do not agree totally that it is better for the application of carbine and rifle barrels. M249 barrel steel is just designed to maintain integrity when more heat is involved is’nt it ?... and for an m249 that's totally viable. But for a carbine or rifle... when are you going to get that barrel hot enough to see that benefit? I would think those plastic rail covers or handguards would be melting first.

Page 1 of 50 12311 ... LastLast