Thread: S&W Melonite coated barrel vs Noveske chrome lined barrel.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Im glad to hear that i was wrong about the 556 barrel. Mjolnir: I gotta say that if i was Sig or Bushy/Rem i too would advertise the nitride treatment as well as tout claims about being tougher than CL.

SomeOtherGuy: After i read your post i went and inspected my 556 barrel and found it to match your general description when compared to my AR. The only thing im left wondering is: The outside of the barrel has that dull but transparent (black) look but as far as i can tell, the inside of the barrel is just bare steel color. So, does the nitride treatment "color" the barrel? If it does, why wouldn't the inside of the barrel match the exterior? BTW: the exterior looks very similar to the pictures of the Rock barrel a couple post up.

rsilvers: I really appreciate the info. Makes me wonder if the HK MR556 barrels are nitrided as well. As far as you know, has Sig continued to nitride their 556 barrels? I ask because my suspicious mind was convincing me to think that when Sig dropped their 556 prices they also might have cut the nitride process and then "pulled" that spec from their ads.

I found it interesting that on Wiki it states that Glock barrels are "85% more corrosion resistant than a hard chrome finish". Thats gotta at least count for something in the nitride vs. CL debate.
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 07-05-11 at 23:09.