Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reciprocating charging handles (RCH) vs non-reciprocating charging handles (NRCH)

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)

Reciprocating charging handles (RCH) vs non-reciprocating charging handles (NRCH)

Subject came up elsewhere in the context of why the AR has a NRCH vs the other choices Stoner could have made. (I'm specifically not talking about kludges that add a RCH to the AR, those are just silly.)

My take is that from a design standpoint there are several compromises to both:

RCH advantages:
    1)Simpler to implement. Can be made unitary with the bolt carrier (AK) or a simple removable piece (Sig 550, FNC).
    2)Typically stronger because they are bigger and more robustly engage the bolt carrier, if it's a separate piece of steel at all.
    3)Eliminates need for separate forward assist.
    4)Useful for diagnosing what's going on inside the gun. If you have stoppage where that RCH has stopped will tell you a lot about what caused it.
    RCH disadvantages:
    1)Snag prone. If it's big enough for the trooper to get his hands on then it's likely to catch on things.
    2)Possibility of causing stoppages. Get that RCH too near cover (or your thumb) and you will make the rifle quit working.
    3)Requires a slot in the action. The slot either has to extend all the way to the rear take down point (AK, FNC), be in a open action (M1 Garand and carbine, Mini-14) or the CH has to be removable (Sig 550, SCAR). The slot is a way for dirt to get into the gun. The slot can be closed by a spring loaded plate (FNC), rubber lips (Sig 550), or by the bolt carrier (SCAR).

NRCH advantages:
    1)Can be made folding easily, reducing snag potential.
    2)Nothing is moving outside the gun, so hitting the CH during firing isn't a problem. Operator can't get caught up in the moving CH.
    3)CH can cover the required slot (Uzi, FAL).
    4)CH is always in the same place for user to grab.
    NRCH disadvantages:
    1)More complex than RCH. Even more parts if CH incorporates FA function. (AR CH part count should really include the FA part count if you're comparing, since the AR splits those two functions).
    2)Typically not as strong as a RCH. NRCHs just aren't as robustly made as the parts are smaller. You might be able to kick a FAL open a few times but don't try that on a AR.
    3)Not useful for diagnostics. CH is always in the same place so you don't have a additional clue as to what type of stoppage you have.
    4)Requires additional manipulation to engage FA function. Push, turn, pull, there is almost always additional activity required to get a NRCH to engage as a FA.

Personally, I own rifles with both RCH and NRCH. Both designs are a compromise. I see the advantages of both, but both have drawbacks too.

H

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Never ever kick or pound on a charging handle to clear a case stuck in the chamber. Use the pogo maneuver (or what AR guys call "mortaring") instead. Kicking or pounding will damage the charging handle and will make a stuck case worse
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Never ever kick or pound on a charging handle to clear a case stuck in the chamber. Use the pogo maneuver (or what AR guys call "mortaring") instead. Kicking or pounding will damage the charging handle and will make a stuck case worse
    I agree that most NRCH won't stand such treatment.

Not really a problem on a AK, Sig 550, FNC, SCAR, SKS, or Galil.

H

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Kicking or pounding on the charging handle, regardless of charging handle type, will only make the problem worse. It's more likely to cause damage to the rifle and more likely to cause the extractor to jump the rim or tear the rim off. "Kicking open the action" is clearly on the "Don't Ever Do This To Your Rifle" list no matter how solid you think your charging handle is
    The number of folks on my Full Of Shit list grows everyday

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Carbine/DSC_0114.jpg
    I am American

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Kicking or pounding on the charging handle, regardless of charging handle type, will only make the problem worse. It's more likely to cause damage to the rifle and more likely to cause the extractor to jump the rim or tear the rim off. "Kicking open the action" is clearly on the "Don't Ever Do This To Your Rifle" list no matter how solid you think your charging handle is
    Yep, it is. But IMHO it is stupid because you would typically be looking into the muzzle of your weapon whilst doing so.

With AK I have seen malfunction clearances been done against anything from tables and door frames to concrete walls and I do think you really can't damage the gun by banging the CH. (AK can be hanged from a tree by smashing the CH in it, seen that too.)

BTW. BM ACR sports a NRCH which can be used as a forward assist.

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Whoa. Hold on there buddy.

AKs don't malfunction. Just ask anyone that has one. Most reliable firearm in the world.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jippo View Post
    Yep, it is. But IMHO it is stupid because you would typically be looking into the muzzle of your weapon whilst doing so.

With AK I have seen malfunction clearances been done against anything from tables and door frames to concrete walls and I do think you really can't damage the gun by banging the CH. (AK can be hanged from a tree by smashing the CH in it, seen that too.)

BTW. BM ACR sports a NRCH which can be used as a forward assist.

Did you see that being done by firearms trainers/ experienced and educated operators or by Somali pirates/Afghani rednecks or similar riff-raff?

Doing that to ANY weapon is full-on retard, similar to kicking a dog or slapping a baby seal.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

Feedback Score
    Edit: just to piss you off. AK does not mind if you clear a malfunction by kicking the CH, it simply does not care. I do not advocate banging of the CH, but I see no problem using eg. door frame and pushing against it. That'd be perfectly fine way to remove a stuck casing. I've also seen an ex-AK user try the same on an AR, which resulted in bent upper. There is a slight difference in durability of the two.
    Last edited by Jippo; 08-19-13 at 12:18.

Feedback Score
    7 (89%)
    Edit: just to piss you off. AK does not mind if you clear a malfunction by kicking the CH, it simply does not care. I do not advocate banging of the CH, but I see no problem using eg. door frame and pushing against it. That'd be perfectly fine way to remove a stuck casing. I've also seen an ex-AK user try the same on an AR, which resulted in bent upper. There is a slight difference in durability of the two.
    A bent upper from kickin the CH? That makes no sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Colt builds War Horses, not show ponies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    This is 2012. The world is going to end this December and people are still trying to debate the merits of piece of shit, cost cutting crap AR's. Really?

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    AK does not mind if you clear a malfunction by kicking the CH, it simply does not care.
    AKs and Honey Badgers.

They just don't care.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast