Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Melonite coated barrel vs Noveske chrome lined barrel.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SOP1 View Post
    Thought I would post a few short comments;

Salt bath nitrocarburizing (QPQ) does give about 20% better barrel life then chrome.
    I don't doubt this claim - and I see that you are a manufacturer and that your business is coatings - but are there any studies that you are able to share with us on this topic? I've seen some of the automotive and gear focused papers and the benefits are pretty clear there, but while I can intuitively see that those benefits should apply somewhat similarly to gun barrels, I always like detailed studies.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    I don't doubt this claim - and I see that you are a manufacturer and that your business is coatings - but are there any studies that you are able to share with us on this topic? I've seen some of the automotive and gear focused papers and the benefits are pretty clear there, but while I can intuitively see that those benefits should apply somewhat similarly to gun barrels, I always like detailed studies.
    Yeah, i think the automotive studies pretty much confirm its superiority to me (even on gun barrels) but i would also like to see a detailed study of barrels.

In case you missed it, did you see "contructors" comments on the subject. It's a pretty nice mini-study worth noting.
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 07-12-11 at 21:10.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir View Post
    Later, I read of ceramic ball bearings for use in race motorcycles and u can purchase a set for your bike to decrease rolling resistance - and absorb ridiculous loads (though the bearing race may not fare as well).
    Guys have been using ceramic bearings in bikes for years. They are expensive as hell, $400 for (2) bearings vs $24 for (2) OE bearings. They use them in the wheels, transmission, and clutch. The only guys that need them are top level racers that have already done every single thing they could do to make the bike faster.

I can certainly see some manufacturer playing around with ceramics in a firearm application, but I do not see anything in the near future as it is still a very expensive endeavor. They are just starting to look into mainstream use of titanium. The next jump forward would be magnesium and/or MMC.
    Last edited by EzGoingKev; 07-13-11 at 17:18. Reason: fixed html

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by urbankaos04 View Post
    That's good to know, as I thinking that maybe the steel would become somewhat "brittle", or whatever, due to the high RC.
    High hardness has nothing to do with brittleness.

Case hardening (of which SBN is a subset) leaves a very hard outer layer under a softer, more ductile core.

And when steel is through-hardened, it is then tempered to restore most of its ductility without materially reducing its hardness.
    Last edited by Alpha Sierra; 07-12-11 at 21:28.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Sierra View Post
    High hardness has nothing to do with brittleness.

Case hardening (of which SBN is a subset) leaves a very hard outer layer under a softer, more ductile core.

And when steel is through-hardened, it is then tempered to restore most of its ductility without materially reducing its hardness.
    Thank you for clearing that up for me.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
    We are working on a study right now and will share it as soon as it becomes public. I can tell that our Salt Bath Nitrocarburizing (QPQ) is a great product. Our parent company KCJones is a leader in providing this coating in Auto and other industries.

Feedback Score
    I've always wanted to see somebody manufacture a QPQ Barrel with a tapered bore, M249 type barrel steel, and polygonal rifling.

One day...
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post
    I've always wanted to see somebody manufacture a QPQ Barrel with a tapered bore, M249 type barrel steel, and polygonal rifling.

One day...
    and CHF.

That would be perfect.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsmwd View Post
    and CHF.

That would be perfect.
    LWRCi, Centurion, and Troy are the closest I've seen.
    We miss you, AC.
    We miss you, ToddG.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_Salad0892 View Post

One day...
    *drool*

Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast