Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Melonite coated barrel vs Noveske chrome lined barrel.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    With the improvements in metallurgy and coatings in recent years, I predict the AR market is going to see a gradual move away from chrome lining. If you can get similar barrel life, and a 30 to 50% improvement in accuracy, what's not to like?

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Any tests to demonstrate the difference in accuracy?

Feedback Score
    Not that I know of.

I am not a big believer in chrome harming accuracy much. But it can't help, that is for sure.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    30-50% quoted is a heck of a difference IF we mean reducing 2" groups to 1-1.4" at 100 yards. Nothing to sneeze at for longer distances, although in combat shooting likely not a big deal. I'm from Missouri on this one.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boss Hogg View Post
    With the improvements in metallurgy and coatings in recent years, I predict the AR market is going to see a gradual move away from chrome lining. If you can get similar barrel life, and a 30 to 50% improvement in accuracy, what's not to like?
    I agree and the think the moving has already started.

Also, I won't claim any accuracy % differences but it has definately been my experience that unlined barrels shoot better. Of course this is with a small sample (maybe 15 lined, 8 unlined) and the only constant variable was that the same ammo was used.

The accuracy difference wouldnt normally be a big deal but when ringing my 2/3 IDPA steel over 400yards it's pretty significant.

BTW: is the MK12 CL CMV or stainless?

Feedback Score
    The Smith and Wesson barrels also have 5R rifling, which is supposed to provide a better gas seal for improved velocity. The lands on 5R rifling are contoured, which reduces fouling and improves accuracy. I suspect that the differences are relatively small, but the combination of increased barrel life, increased velocity and greater accuracy is nice.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    It would be nice to see this Smith with a lightweight barrel profile. It would be very lightweight.

Who else is using this barrel treatment now, moving away from chrome?

Feedback Score
    either way ill SBN this barrel, but what barrel should i get?

so... should i buy hammer forged 1/7
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-B...d-16%20bfh.htm

or

or SS 1/8
    http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-S...16%20ss410.htm

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    It would be nice to see this Smith with a lightweight barrel profile. It would be very lightweight.

Who else is using this barrel treatment now, moving away from chrome?
    Sig uses a nitride treated barrel on the 550 series including the 556, Bushmaster on the ACR, LWRC and AAC have also gone to nitride treatment for barrels. DS Arms uses a nitride treated barrel on its ZM4 carbine (flattop AR) and the SA58 CTC (FAL) rifle.
    Last edited by Fabius; 07-15-11 at 23:23.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fabius View Post
    Sig uses a nitride treated barrel on the 550 series including the 556, Bushmaster on the ACR, LWRC and AAC have also gone to nitride treatment for barrels. DS Arms uses a nitride treated barrel on its ZM4 carbine (flattop AR) and the SA58 CTC (FAL) rifle.
    CMMG's "WASP" treatment is also some form of nitrocarburizing.

Just to summarize and add a few, the list of currently marketed ARs or uppers with some form of nitrocarburizing treatment seems to be:
    S&W M&P15 "Sport" model
    CMMG - LE Series with WASP treatment
    DS Arms (most ZM4 models and ZM4 uppers, but they also offer plain CM and chrome-lined on certain styles)
    LWRC
    POF-USA
    AAC
    Adams Arms (uppers)
    Huldra Arms (rifles and uppers with chrome-moly barrels {not stainless})
    Bushmaster ACR (no other models)
    Sig - 550-556
    Superior Barrels with "hard blue" (uppers and barrels) {http://www.superiorbarrels.com/}

From the list above it seems that this treatment is used by inexpensive models on the one hand (S&W, CMMG, DSA) and boutique more expensive models on the other hand (all others), and as far as I know is not currently used on a mid to high end upper in an ordinary DI AR-15 configuration, with the sole exception of the uppers from Superior Barrels, on which I have no reputational information.

Fabius, I couldn't find any information about an "SA58 CTC" on DSA's website or on google. I know that DSA had been offering nitride treated L1A1 barrels for a brief period of time, but apparently not right now. Do you have any more information on this model? Most of the SA58 models have a 4150 steel barrel that is cryo treated but not, to my knowledge, given any surface treatment like chrome or nitriding.

Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast