Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast

Thread: S&W Melonite coated barrel vs Noveske chrome lined barrel.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    The Spike's Tactical Melonite CHF Upper is identical to the ST LE Uppers, but utilizes a Cold Hammer Forged barrel that substitutes the Mil-spec standard phosphate coating and chrome lining

If they are using the exact same unfinished barrels and just meloniting them, I would be hesitant to purchase them. Unlike Chrome, Melonite does not change the dimensions of the part. So if they took a standard unfinished barrel that was manufactured with the intention of being chrome lined, then the bore would be too large in diameter after being melonited.

From what I gather they would need the barrels manufactured on a different mandrel that was designed to produce a barrel that would see no dimensional changes during the finishing process. If they want to do it right.

I don't know if Spike's took these differences into account when getting these barrels made, but their description does nothing to make it seem like they did.
    Last edited by An Undocumented Worker; 07-27-11 at 23:08.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by An Undocumented Worker View Post
    If they are using the exact same unfinished barrels and just meloniting them, I would be hesitant to purchase them. Unlike Chrome, Melonite does not change the dimensions of the part. So if they took a standard unfinished barrel that was manufactured with the intention of being chrome lined, then the bore would be too large in diameter after being melonited.

From what I gather they would need the barrels manufactured on a different mandrel that was designed to produce a barrel that would see no dimensional changes during the finishing process. If they want to do it right.

I don't know if Spike's took these differences into account when getting these barrels made, but their description does nothing to make it seem like they did.

That's an excellent observation and point. I didn't read the description that carefully.

Im very interested to hear more on this. I've never owned a ST product but was just about to give them the "GTG" nod of approvement with all the great specs their claiming lately. If they did infact "look over" this aspect then it would add weight to the position that Gr and others were making in the Spikes upper thread about how "using great specs and materials doesn't necessarily make you "as good as" other known players like DD/BCM".

Feedback Score
    Yep, I share the same dimensional concerns. Tomorrow I'll drop them an email to ask about the process, and will report back here what they say. However, if done right, that's an attractive little SOB for an SBR.

-B
    Last edited by BAC; 07-28-11 at 00:00.
    RIP, Jeff Dorr: 1964 - July 17, 2009

"When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead . . . Only then will you have done your share." - Phil Messina

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Yeah that will be an attractive SBR. I wouldn't mind buying a nitrided 18" if they offer it. I haven't yet checked but I will.

Feedback Score
    LE uppers are not CHF, do ask them but I take "exact" in this case to mean the same basic format.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Oh, well then it's a whole different barrel altogether so it's probably fine.

Is there a way that an average Joe can determine if a barrel has an oversized bore for CL or do you need extremely special instruments for that?

Feedback Score
    would it be wrong to SBN a brovocompany hammer forged chrome lined barrel?

Feedback Score
    I'd be shocked if Spikes Tactical overlooked such a basic factor. One of the reasons for using melonite treatment is to simplify the manufacturing process and avoid the dimensional issues that chrome lining can cause.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ring View Post
    would it be wrong to SBN a brovocompany hammer forged chrome lined barrel?
    I honestly can't answer that for ya but my gut feeling is that you can't/shouldn't . I'm just not sure of and have never seen a CL & nitride barrel. I wonder if the CL'ing would dimensionally change.....I also wonder how the CL would take or "absorb" the treatment.....Can hard chrome be hardened more than it already is?
    Last edited by Dirtyboy333; 07-28-11 at 03:51.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by An Undocumented Worker View Post
    Yea I'm sure that Smith and Wesson has no idea about such things. They have only been making firearms since last night.

Page 25 of 50 FirstFirst ... 15232425262735 ... LastLast