Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: S&W Melonite coated barrel vs Noveske chrome lined barrel.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    $50 sounds like a great price, I'd definitely be interested. Would this included stainless? I have a 20" stainless fluted barreled upper.
    So, send the barrel still on receiver (but gas block removed) and a carrier?
    Is ok to Nitride the pieces still together (gas key on carrier) and barrel still on receiver? I love the Nitride finish on my Spikes 5.45 upper and on my Superior Mk12 barrel, would actually like to get more stuff treated in the future.
    Stainless is ok? I'm definitely interested if we get the green light.

Duh-I reread, do need to pull the barrel from the upper. That's ok. Am still interested.
    Last edited by ricochet; 08-25-11 at 21:12.

Feedback Score
    yes, SS is fine, and the gas key does not need to be removed
    Last edited by Ring; 08-25-11 at 22:01.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I thought barrels over approximately 60 rounds weren't supposed to be nitrided?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr blasty View Post
    I thought barrels over approximately 60 rounds weren't supposed to be nitrided?
    Is this true? Never heard this, I do remember reading that some Nitride processes were not recommended for stainless. I also read that many people are happy with this president, so many people have so many oppinions.
    I have maybe 500-600 rounds on my stainless barrel, wouldn't want to degrade it in any way. I have not read anything saying the nitride process is not recommended for a shot barrel (yet), but I appreciate any links giving more info.

Edit to add, I just found this (on this site), written by Kevin J:
    I just wanted to follow up on this. I've done a few of these barrels in the last few months. The barrels and extensions are treated installed as is the gas port. Actually the barrel needs to be broken in, I should say burnished, prior to treatment. This is great because I've been able to get some accuracy comparisons before and after, but I'm still finalizing those. The color is a very deep black and is pretty matte. I'll take some pics and post them up. But over all I am really happy with these so far in my SPRs.

I think there is a large misunderstanding of the temps involved in this process as it is applied to barrels. The temps do not cross 900 Deg. so "Warpage" and "Distortion" are not present. These temps actually serve to stress relive the barrel after all of the machining has been done, which is the exact opposite of about every other barrel.

I can't obviously attest to durability when compared against Chrome, but just based on the available data this is the perfect route for accuracy intended guns.
    Last edited by ricochet; 08-27-11 at 15:38. Reason: found more info related to the question asked.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234