Thread: Sun Devil Slick Side Upper

Feedback Score

Sun Devil Slick Side Upper

Gents,

I am new to the forums and have a question for anyone who has used/handled the Sun Devil slick side uppers. I am a lefty and considering using this upper in my next build. My concern is the lack of a shell deflector; however, when I look at photos there seems ridge behind the rear of the dust cover. I am wondering if this possibly serves as a shell deflector? Any help is appreciated.

Photos
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=110763333

Thanks,

Clint

Feedback Score
    I'm gonna go with a negative on that one. I believe the ridge is simply a byproduct of the billet machining (ie. more meat).

Sun Devil does make a model of that upper with a shell deflector though. So if it tickles your fancy, here's a link to take a look.

The long and short of it is that you'll probably have the same problem you'd have with a regular forged slick side.

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogFan View Post
    Gents,

I am new to the forums and have a question for anyone who has used/handled the Sun Devil slick side uppers. I am a lefty and considering using this upper in my next build. My concern is the lack of a shell deflector; however, when I look at photos there seems ridge behind the rear of the dust cover. I am wondering if this possibly serves as a shell deflector? Any help is appreciated.

Photos

Thanks,

Clint
    They do not have M4 cuts in them and are heavy so I would pass. If you want an upper without a forward assist, get the MUR.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FrogFan View Post
    Gents,

Photos

Thanks,

Clint
    Yes, you are correct. The ridge behind the the rear of the dust cover is the shell deflector as per design and not a byproduct from machining. I talked to David Beaty about this.

They are well made and sturdy but do not have the m4 extended feed ramps. But the ridges are negligible at the interface.

I wouldn't characterize the upper as heavy either...

I'm building a purple AR for my wife to shoot using the Sun Devil upper/lower that weighs in at 6lbs with BUIS, no mag, 16" barrel, 6" handguard and CTR stock etc.
    Last edited by Olav; 09-20-08 at 19:14. Reason: added a few photos.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Olav View Post
    Yes, you are correct. The ridge behind the the rear of the dust cover is the shell deflector as per design and not a byproduct from machining. I talked to David Beaty about this.
    Thanks for clearing that up. You learn something new every day.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I was going to go with Sun Devil or Quentin Defense since they are local but neither have M4 cut outs.
    Is the MUR the only slick side upper with M4 cuts? Is the shell deflector not necessary (for a righty)? Thanks.
    Last edited by Packman73; 06-22-11 at 22:04.
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I have and use the Les Baer upper. It has the shell deflector and M4 cuts but no forward assist.

It is also forged and has standard dimensions.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Do you know where the best place to find them is?
    Between two groups of people who want to make inconsistent kinds of worlds, I see no remedy but force. - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I believe Les Baer is the only place. I had to call in the order because their web store is non existent.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Ahh, thanks for the heads up.