View Poll Results: Is Larry Vickers Bashing the 1911?

Voters
239. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 8.79%
  • No

218 91.21%
Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Larry Vickers Bashing the 1911?

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)

Is Larry Vickers Bashing the 1911?

I noticed that some of the couch commandoes over on another 1911 forum are having a hissy fit over some remarks Larry Vickers made about the 1911.

Frankly, as usual, I think LAV is just speaking his mind and telling it like it is.

I love the classic 1911 too, but I think we can agree that handgun technology has made real progress and significant advances in the past 100 years.

Here's the article

Do you think LAV is "bashing" the 1911?

I don't.
    Last edited by ptmccain; 06-23-11 at 05:30.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Linky no workie.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    Last edited by ptmccain; 06-23-11 at 05:30.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Oh, this is precious. 1911forum.com?

Feedback Score
    27 (97%)
    This happened on GlockTalk where there is a 1911 subforum.

Here's the link.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    I tend to think LAV's remarks are being driven more by the shooters than the steel. No one is disputing that the 1911 is still a fine tool in competent hands, but there is an associated knowledge and maintenance burden associated with that, and we're less and less inclined as a society to think in those terms. If you can get nearly the same results from an out-of-the-box polymer gun, then why bother with something that requires the extra effort and expense?

A 1911 shooter will tell you that those are burdens well worth carrying (and I am probably one of them), but I wouldn't want to subject one to the kind of abuse that the typical G, P or M&P gun can tolerate as a matter of course. It's not only the technology that has changed here; our mindset about what a sidearm can and should do has evolved as well. LAV calls it the way that he sees it, and I suspect he can describe the forest quite well while most of us are still admiring a few trees.

Is Vickers tired of 1911s? I doubt it. I think he's just tired of the endless debates, and more concerned about pointing folks in the direction of hardware that will work consistently without any special measure of thought or dedication -- and even the most die-hard 1911 aficianado ought to be able to appreciate that kind of hard-nosed pragmatism.

AC

Feedback Score
    From TOS thread:

All I know is I have 500 rounds through mine as of today, and not a single failure....period. Stock 7 round Brown mags and a variety of ammo.
    Do that every weekend for a year straight then see which gun is still running.

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Glocktalk. Home of the "other" retards.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ptmccain View Post
    I noticed that some of the couch commandoes over on another 1911 forum are having a hissy fit over some remarks Larry Vickers made about the 1911.
    Vickers has more BTDT experience with the 1911 then anyone on those forums, not even counting his extensive knowledge as a smith building them. End of the day however, Larry is a man O war, and to that end, always looks for the best tool for the job and knows pragmatism gets you home, sentimentality for a specific platform can get you killed. If anyone there has 1oth of LAVs experience and or knowledge, then perhaps they have some authority to speak on such matters. You will also note those with similar backgrounds to Larry, agree with him if you read their stuff.

Been a die hard 1911 shooter for a long time, but (1) when Larry speaks I tend to listen (2) things change no matter how much we wish they would not, and guns like the M&P are game changers (3) Larry simply told the facts/truth regarding the pros and cons (yes I said it, cons!) of the 1911.

Nothing more, nothing less, from Larry. For those who want smoke blown up their skirt regarding the 1911, or any weapons platform, Larry is not the guy to ask.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Anyone that would consider LAVs comments to be overly harsh is a whiny fan-boy with a wool hoodie.

Why do so many guys that buy 1911s because of their steel .45 manliness and combat track record break down to pouty snideness when someone (regardless of their expertise on the topic) implies that 1911s might not be the final word in pistol desings?

Fu€king get over it and go shoot your damn guns.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast