Extracted from the tacked thread above to make it's own thread:

Quote Originally Posted by hueywrench View Post
New to this site, so forgive for an ignorant question, but i'm a machinist and am helping a friend take his Olympic Arms AR-15 aftermarket fore-end hand grip/ tac rail ass'y off. It is one piece and requires removal of the front sight and barrel. I have a heavyduty barrel nut wrench, but want an opinion of what i need to take the rest of it off. I'm getting a tech manual, but the gas tube concerns me. i am going to get a front sight block for guiding me on drifting out the pins on the sight, but i want a little more knowledge on helpful details/hints. Also any comments on a good hidden float tube for my Bushmaster that will fit under or comes with original looking A2 style handguards. Both guns have removeable flash suppressors, btw.

Get the orange brownells front sight base block.
Then get a good 1/4" to 5/16" punch with a good hardened face.
This will pop taper pins loose.
Then you drive them out with a 1/8" or 3/32" punch.

Olympic MAY have straight pins which can be driven from either side.
Measure the diameter of the pin on each end to be sure you are hitting the small end of a tapered pin if that's what you find.

Use a manly hammer.
Get on them hard and fast.
You want to pop them loose right away.
If you keep tapping on them, you can sometimes peen the head of the pin and really cause yourself problems.

Get on them hard and fast with an appropriate weight hammer.

If all else fails, I have this:

That will remove ANY pin, even ones that have been peened over by previous failed attempts.