Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualification for gear queers

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    I'm no expert on gear, but I read a thread on another forum where the person was worried that the shades of OD green between one manufacturer and another were not going to match.

I'm pretty sure that hits the definition right there.
    I get this a lot and I mean a lot. Strangely enough, it typically comes from Marines. I guess it fits in with their OCD personalities.

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraq Ninja View Post
    The Brits use the term "kit pest" to describe a gear queer.

It is one thing to be a gear queer with good skills, but if you are a "shit bloke" who happens to be a kit pest, you are not well thought of.

You would not believe the amount of kit that is being destroyed in Iraq right now. How about a connex full of brand new Paraclete vests with plates being torched? Our contract is running out in a few days and everything is being destroyed. Cheaper than sending it back.
    That seriously just made me vomit. If I mail you a really big box...
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Yeah, no shit. I can take a few off your hands.

Gear queerage often stems from using equipment to make up for a training deficiency. I've been guilty of this in the past, I'll admit. But, I've also used my random knowledge of gear and sources thereof to procure upgrades for my team's armor, and helmets (in progress). I'm also more conscious about truly evaluating any given piece of equipment to determine if it offers an advantage not provided by training as opposed to masking a software problem, or if it provides a square range convenience that doesn't translate into my actual work.
    The advice above is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlelebowski View Post
    Shemaghs and morale patches. Multicam everything.
    Even multicam shemaghs? That's one particular combo I don't think I've ever seen. Of course, the ultimate coolguy gucci shemagh would need to have some velcro on it for morale patches, too.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    now THAT'S an idea...a multicam shemagh with morale patches...

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Medicine View Post
    All the talk of "gear queer" makes me wonder what would you all qualify as a gear queer? Just curiosity speaking.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    Gear queer is relative.

I know a few guys that wear issue equipment only. That's it. They regard the M4 as an SF weapon, and believe to their core that if they needed it, the army would have issued it.

If you show up with anything that isn't issue, and you're an instant gear queer in their eyes.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
    Gear queer is relative.

I know a few guys that wear issue equipment only. That's it. They regard the M4 as an SF weapon, and believe to their core that if they needed it, the army would have issued it.

If you show up with anything that isn't issue, and you're an instant gear queer in their eyes.
    That is the two Marines in my unit to a T.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    Haha! Exactly but this whole fobbit business is on the rise! I think mainly due to video games. You know how many people buy some ridiculous DE .50 (no offense of you own one but please admit they aren't for everyone) just because it was on call of duty? Or some oversized revolver used for turkey shoots but all of the sudden it's tactical because it was in call of duty..... Right? These are gear queers of the worst! They annoy me to no end!
    "If man does his best what else is there?"
    - George S. Patton

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This thread has brought out some pretty funny posts though!
    "If man does his best what else is there?"
    - George S. Patton

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast