Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tac Light Options for Lightweight Build

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Tac Light Options for Lightweight Build

Hey guys, just doing some research while Paypal holds the funds I got from eBay sales. I have my Daniel Defense Omega rail on the way but can't get anything else until Paypal releases my money next week. As I said, I'm doing a lightweight build. I'm wanting to stay around 4-6 ounces and $150 for the light and mount together, the lower the better for both.

Right now I'm looking at the Fenix PD30R5 and the Daniel Defense mount and insert. The PD30 is under 2 ounces, 257 lumens, and $65. The DD mount with insert is going to be about 1.5 ounces and $60 or so. I assume the .84" PD30 should fit fine in the .835" DD insert.

Any opinions or suggestions on bettering this setup, or a better setup I may not have looked at yet?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Streamlight TLR-1, replacement backplate, and pressure pad can be had for around $160.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Any recommendation on the best pressure pad and where to get the replacement backplate?

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Or mount the TLR or SFX300 at the front of your rail at 12:00 and don't use a pad at all. I have an X300 on my lightweight build and like it so much I am considering changing over the rest of my rifles...

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    After doing some more reading, I've come up with these two options.

1. Use the Fenix tailcap pressure switch system and Magpul Illumination Kit (who else makes this kind of thing?) with my TK12R5 and a Daniel Defense mount. Total cost here would be $20 tailcap pressure switch, $20 MOE kit, and $50 DD mount...plus the cost of a new handheld flashlight = $150-170.

2. Just run the TLR1 at 12 o'clock and activate with my thumb. Roughly $100, but may force me to grip the rail further back than I'd like. Also, will the FSB create a noticeable shadow?

Feedback Score
    The SF X300 sits on my HD rifle. You really can't beat it for a quality weapon light that is light weight and low profile, but even with a discount you're probably looking at just north of $200. I also have an E2D LED (picked up for $110 on sale) in a Gear Sector mount that works very well and would be close to your targeted weight and budget.

The TLR-1 also works well and costs around $100-$110. I prefer the switching, mounting system and sleekness of the X300 though.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    A TLR-3 is (in my experience) the brightest light you will find for the size (weight) and purpose (75-100 yd rifle light). I would recommend a black out cover or lens cap if you plan on using this for any 'real' use, as white light AD's happen easily with any sort of X300/TLR setup.

Con: Uses CR-2 batteries vs. CR123.

A bombproof small light that uses CR123 close to your budget would be a VTAC mini-L4 with a mount of your choice (I use a gear sector mount). Plus, the clickie tail cap tends to be more reliable and less prone to AD's.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I think I am going to go with the clicky tailcap setup. Seems to fit my needs better. I'll have a look at the VTAC light and also may get their mount- if I can find somewhere that has it's weight listed.

**ETA**
    Can you not get the mini-L4 alone? I'd rather not go with a plastic mount...are there some other recoil-friendly lights in the same weight range as the Mini-L4?
    Last edited by aaron_c; 07-02-11 at 15:07.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Found it by itself...I'm limited to iPhone and no computer until tomorrow night so I missed it earlier. I may get this light and the Gear Sector mount, though I could probably get more than 110 lumens for that $140.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Generally, it is accepted that when measured out the front, most Surefire's are underrated (search on Candle Powered Forums). Not that it's a big deal (my opinion is that 100 lumens is generally fine for most rifle work, indoor/outdoor). Get what suits your needs.

Take care.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast