Thread: Alumahyde II/ Gun kote Questions Please Help!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Alumahyde II/ Gun kote Questions Please Help!

Sorry this is about my AK (my AR's finish is fine) but i needed to post somewhere where it would be read by more people because i need answers and opinions from a lot people who have more experience then me!

I have a question, and a short story on gunkote and alumahyde 2 (brownels rattle can).

I bought a can of "Matte black" gunkote ($45) to refinish my WASR. I did not refinish the whole gun at first, i did the receiver cover and my mags, and gas tube. I cleaned, sprayed and baked, 1 hour at 300, and the matte black came out GLOSSY! Thank goodness i did not do the whole gun! Here's what it came out like:

Only receiver cover and magazine were gunkoted. The AK factory finish is shown for comparison.

Notice with the parts installed how they look out of place and are GLOSSY. I tried to dull the shine with 0000 steel wool. The results were less then satisfactory

Maybe the pictures don't show it well, but i'm sure you can see the gloss! This is NOT what i wanted needless to say!

Anyway i have given up on wasting another $45 on gunkote and a can of alumahyde II on the way. From youtube videos from other people i think the alumahyde II will actually come out flat black (i should have bought the "Baking lacquer" they offer instead but its too late now and already invested more then i want to for a $490 gun).

Anyway a couple questions:

1. Baking ALumahyde 2? Alumahyde @ is an air dry finish. I am cleaning the oil off gun then spraying the alumahyde 2 directly over the old finish.
    If you let it air dry it takes two weeks to dry. I don't want to wait that long. Several people on other gun sites have said you can bake it for 200 degrees for 5 hours to shorten the curing time. no one reported bad results after doing this. Question has anyone done this and how did it turn out?

2. I would like the receiver cover to be the same color as the rest of the gun. If i roughen the surface with steel wool, or some other abrasive (the only way you can remove gunkote is sandblasting, which i am not going to do) do you think it is possible to simply spray alumahyde II over the gun kote? do you think it will it stick? I have steel wool and 320 grit sandpaper, brake cleaner and acetone to work with. I won't be doing any k-phos or bead blasting, the abrasives and solvents are all i have got. If anybody knows anything at Lowe's or home Depot that would help i will run out and buy it, but what surface prep might make this work?

Please help! the ALumahyde 2 comes on Teusday, today is sunday!
    Last edited by Markasaurus; 06-26-11 at 11:51.