Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alumahyde II/ Gun kote Questions Please Help!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by RD62 View Post
    I have used and continue to use Alumahyde II with good results as mentioned before.

I have also used Krylon before to good effect, but admittedly not painted an entire rifle with it. It is inexpensive and REASONABLY durable. If and when it chips, scratches, etc it is also relatively easy to touch up.

You mentioned not wanting to spend more $$$ on an inexpensive rifle, thus my suggestion. If you don't want to go that route it's no skin off my teeth. I haven't had an issue with Krylon and cleaning yet, but then I haven't used it a lot nor do I typically get solvent all over the exterior of my rifles (either intentionally or accidentally) but maybe that's just me and I've been lucky.

As already mentioned warm the parts and spray with light coats of Alumahyde and let dry. Instead of trying to match the two finishes, why not just paint the receiver too?

Oh, and out of curiosity why did you paint the top cover and gas tube to begin with?
    Oh i painted the top cover because at that point i had given up on getting the stock off. So it wasn't going to fit in the oven anyway and i figured i'd mask the stock and use alumahyde 2. I figured the gunkote cost so much i might as well do a few parts with it rather then let the entire can go to waste, or spend money on shipping to send it back. I am actually glad i did this, i would NOT have wanted the whole gun to be glossy like this!

In the meantime i got the stock off (by beating the stock on my bed for 10 minutes, which really did the trick!)
    i think i will redo the top cover with alumahyde, after knocking the shine off the GK with steel wool and scotch brite pads. Then spray and bake it along with the rest of the gun (everybody who has done it says, 200 degrees for 5 hours so that's what i am going to do).

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    Closed due to OP starting new update thread:
    https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread...=1#post1033572
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12