Thread: TA33 Acog???

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

TA33 Acog???

Just picked up my new EXPS3 N.I.B for a good deal.For some reason i've been wanting an ACOG for a while.After doing a bit of reading it looks like the TA33 is a good all around model.I like the look of the TA31's better,but the short eye relief turns me off a bit.This is my main all purpose "go to" gun and is a 16" carbine.The terrain here in CT is what i'd call lite rolling,with some open flat fields also.Up to 500 yds. or so for most(but not all)open stretches.The no batteries appeals to me,as does the magnification for seeing at distance.The only major drawback seems to be up close.Just wondering if i'd regret selling the Eotech for the ACOG???

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I've seen many mention some form of the "80/20" rule. Will 80% or more of your shots be 0-100 yards? EOTech. Will 80% or more be in the 100-300 yard range? ACOG.

Another thing to consider is a good FTS magnifier. And I'd prefer the TA33 to the TA31 as well, but don't let eye relief influence you too much. Keep in mind that you can move the optic to your ideal location on the top rail to some extent, as well as the fact that you can/should (depending on who you talk to) shoot NTCH with an AR carbine.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The eye relief on the TA31 is a huge issue and completely ruins the optic for me. The TA33 and TA11 are MUCH better choices and I have carried all three in combat.

The TA33 is an excellent choice and I wouldnt feel at a disadvantage unless I was doing ALL of my fighting under 50m. I absolutely cannot stand Red Dots with magnifiers and I would reccomend you try one out first before considering it.

Rick

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have another lower that will get built,but it's gonna take a while until i have the funds.Prob. put an ACOG on that gun,one for each role!Pretty sure i'll go with the TA33 when i do

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I personally would LOVE to have a TA-33 with the green triangle on a rifle, just not my primary one (for my application) because I very rarely shoot over 100 yards. A recce build with a TA33 would be a pretty sweet rifle to have handy though!

Either way, post up your build for us all to see when you're done!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    I currently own 2 ACOG's, a TA33 and TA44. I've owned several different models over the years and these are my favorites. One of the Mod's over at Lightfighter said the TA33 was the finest people killing ACOG ever made. I'll defer to his experience and as stated it's what I own and prefer.
    "The peace we have within us is most often expressed in how we treat others"

Feedback Score
    32 (97%)
    I think the TA33 is the Acog that should be issued. Lightweight, thin, great eye relief and issued with a side mounted rds or iron sights for doorkickers. I like to think of it as a 3x T-1. Doesn't obscure any situational awareness because you don't have to look around your optic to maintain it. Some complain it's like looking through a magnified straw b/c the fov is smaller. Fov is smaller but at close range works great using both eyes open. I shoot ntch and you can see how far fwd I mount mine. In the second pic you can compare the fov to a 3-9x40 primary arms that I bought as a gift to repalce my buddys bsa he had on his 6.8 after his 2nd deployment. Put the chevron on the steel like a hat and it jsut keeps going down as long as I do my part, even with brown bear silver bear etc. I was even able to do it with irons on my BCM middy quite a few times yesterday, offhand

By caeser2001 at 2011-06-26

By caeser2001 at 2011-07-31

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    I must study politics and war, that our sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy. - John Adams

The AK guys are all about the reach around. - Garand Thumb.

Feedback Score
    29 (100%)
    I have a TA31F right now on my RECCE, but if I had the option, and the 600 dollar option, I would buy a TA33 red horseshoe instead of the 31F. I have played around with both and the red horseshoe is faster, lighter, and all around better than the 31F. It is not a precision optic, but good enough for COM shots out to 600 or so. I would put that optic on ever M4 if I had the option, but I am not that lucky.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Marines love CLP. Chow, libo, pussy.

Beyond that everything else is a crap shoot.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARPATRIOT View Post
    Just picked up my new EXPS3 N.I.B for a good deal.For some reason i've been wanting an ACOG for a while.After doing a bit of reading it looks like the TA33 is a good all around model.I like the look of the TA31's better,but the short eye relief turns me off a bit.This is my main all purpose "go to" gun and is a 16" carbine.The terrain here in CT is what i'd call lite rolling,with some open flat fields also.Up to 500 yds. or so for most(but not all)open stretches.The no batteries appeals to me,as does the magnification for seeing at distance.The only major drawback seems to be up close.Just wondering if i'd regret selling the Eotech for the ACOG???
    In my opinion the TA 33 and the TA 11 are the best of the ACOGS with the TA 33 getting the nod if you want the rifle to be as compact as possible and the TA11 if your willing to haul more weight but have a bit nicer optic. The TA31 is slower to use for me due to the short eye relief.
    As for up close shooting there are a few solutions. 1 is to get a flip down scope cover and close the cover at close range. If you can spring for it a better option in my opinion is to get an off set mount and run a micro red dot like the T1 for close range work and for low light shooting. One issue I have had with ACOGS in general is in certain lighting conditions they suck.
    This is how I ran a TA 33 when I had one.

I did the same thing with a TA 31F for a while too.

Pat
    Last edited by Alaskapopo; 07-31-11 at 23:54.
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ARPATRIOT View Post
    In my very limited experience with one, I would definitely suggest folding front sights and a Larue mount. I did a writeup on it a little while ago.

I liked it but it just didn't work good for me. I think the only way you will know if sure is to get one and try it out, if you don't like it, you can sell it pretty quick.