Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Viper PST vs. Nightforce for my purposes?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tzoid View Post
    Good review and kinda confirms my thoughts on Vortex.

I bought one of their SPARC RDS for my M&P 15-22 and although it works and has lots of features the adjustments suck and it's made in China. You get what ya pay for and one can't expect S&B or NF quality at Vortex pricing.

The thing that kinda soured me on Vortex was the dealer that sold me the SPARC said if you have problems with it just call Vortex and they will replace it. As if they know that the failure rate is high and at least the customer service is good. I could have gone to walmart and spent 69 bucks on a Burris RDS if I wanted customer service for a POC.
    Vortex makes scopes for all budgets....you can't even begin to talk about a Viper PST scope and a Sparc in the same breath.

In addition, Vortex's customer service is just about the best on the planet, which is probably why the dealer made the comment, rather than knowing about any inherent fault. The fact they extend their no fault lifetime warranty through their cheaper offerings is more an indication of a company standing behind their product.

You've totally and utterly got the wrong impression about the company.
    Dan

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    I would go the Nightforce direction. There is a good chance you may regret the Vortex and then you wasted a chunk of money you could have used to put down on the Nightforce. Good luck with whatever you choose.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    31 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SA80Dan View Post
    Vortex makes scopes for all budgets....you can't even begin to talk about a Viper PST scope and a Sparc in the same breath.

In addition, Vortex's customer service is just about the best on the planet, which is probably why the dealer made the comment, rather than knowing about any inherent fault. The fact they extend their no fault lifetime warranty through their cheaper offerings is more an indication of a company standing behind their product.

You've totally and utterly got the wrong impression about the company.
    I hear what you're saying and I have heard nothing but great things about their customer service. I'm just not sure I would spend high dollar on their higher end scopes when there are others available like NightForce.
    Tzoid

Texan raised in " The Peoples Republic of Maryland"

"RRA- if they came with a blow job I wouldn't take one." - Pat Rogers

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I agree, in this particular case/class, there's some excellent alternatives.....and it may well be that the Nightforce is the champ here.

Vortex is certainly capable of putting out top level stuff stuff though, so I'd not blanket discount them purely on the fact that "Its a Vortex"
    Dan

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I have followed Ilya's reviews for some time, and definitely trust his word. Between that and a number of other negative opinions, I have decided to skip the Vortex and start saving for the NF (unless someone has a creative third option with similar features).

Given my other priorities, this probably means that I will have to stick with my current Diamondback for the next year or so.

Thanks for the help guys; the more I read the more I suspect that I would have been disappointed in the cost to improvement ratio if I got the Viper.
    Last edited by calvin118; 06-29-11 at 16:57.

Feedback Score
    Vortex also has the Razor HD that is said to be equal to or above the NF. More expensive too, of course. Something for everyone's budget is very correct.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I can recommend four more midrange power scopes with illuminated reticle options and a bit less $:

1. IOR Valdada 2.5-10x42, mil/mil FFP - $1,175
    2. Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40, mil or TMR reticle but MOA turrets-$1,279
    3. Leupold Mk 4 2.5-8x36, Mil or TMR reticls and MOA turrets - $1,100
    4. Bushnell 3-12x44 Elite Tactical, mil/mil - $900

All of these get high marks. Personally I don't care for the mismatched reticle/turrets on these Leupolds (can get mil/mil in higher power). The IOR is built like a tank and the glass has to be seen to be appreciated. The Bushnell is a great scope for the money. Occasionally the scope snobs turn their nose up at these, but they're very well built, track nicely and have good glass.

You might be better off if you decide to wait. There are a several midrange scopes to be released in the next year that look very promising.
    Last edited by Warg; 06-29-11 at 17:58. Reason: Added info.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by FishingFool; 08-04-12 at 21:17.

Feedback Score
    38 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    There are very few reviews on the PST 2.5-10, so I hope you get one and put it to the test.

I have the PST 1-4 on a carbine and the NF 2.5-10x32 on an SPRish rifle. Different uses and no real comparisons can be made between the two, IMO.

The clarity (relative to precision shooting) on the NF is considerably better as one would expect, but again you cannot compare the two. I run the NF out to 700 meters with good results where the PST 1-4 excels at very close range and works pretty well at mid ranges.

My NF is not subject to be replaced, but if I were going to buy a second 2.5-10 right now, I would lean toward the PST 2.5-10. Would prefer to compare both side-by-side first, but so far that's not been possible.

Didn't want to start my own thread since I found this one, but what is "mid-range" and "long-range" to you guys?

I am thinking about doing a precision AR that I would hunt with and would be my "mid-range" precision gun, which to me means 400-500 yds and in. Anything further than that I consider to be long(er) range and is more suited for something like .308.

I know this will be dependant on the shooter and how good his eyesight is, but for the 400-500 yds and in range, would one be better suited with a 1-4X or a 2.5-10X?

Feedback Score
    To me, and talking about .223/5.56; "mid-range" ends at about 400 Yards and "long range" starts around there. 6x works just fine at 400 or a little more on a partly to fully visible 10" steel plate - I'm not saying it's an easy shot, but 6x (on the NF) lets you see what you need to see. Much past that and more powder becomes a big benefit.

The quality of the glass makes a big difference as you get out further as well. And big targets are easier that little ones!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast