Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So...is SCAR16 done for?

Feedback Score

Question So...is SCAR16 done for?

Was looking at a SCAR16 the other day, I like the light handling but with the news that Special Ops Cmd moving away from SCAR-L, and only getting SCAR-H from now on, it seems SCAR16 is done for? I don't think any other militaries are looking at it, and there's been no LE talk about it either.

So is the SCAR16 (the 5.56mm only version) about the shortest living mil-spec weapon? Does that give you pause about buying or keeping SCAR16 as a personal rifle?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No. SCAR is great rifle....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have had my scar a little over 2 years now, and must admit it's a great rifle.

However, the past couple of weeks I have been heavily debating selling it to fund a kac sr15 e3. I am just not as impressed by the scar 16s as I once was when I got it. Compared to my run of the mill ar's it doesn't do anything that makes it worth 2x the price, and from what I ahve read that's the way the military feels.

I have now decided to hang onto the scar for one reason, I just think it's cool and would hate to let it go only to want one later on. I would really like to get an sbr barrel one day, and if/when that happens I think the scar 16s will really come alive. For me a piston driven short barreled suppressed rifle is the highlight of the scar platform.

IMO, if you are looking for a 16" carbine, I would hesitate on buying the scar. If you are hoping for a great canidate to sbr, I think it is hard to beat the scar. The only options available now are having the factory barrel cut, but I like to be an optimist and hope some kind of factory or aftermarket barrel will be offered in 10.5". I think the scar 16s will continue to be a "fun" rifle for civilians to purchase and eventually the aftermarket will grow to support the rifle.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If production is stopped tomorrow and no one picks it up, I'd still keep mine. Great rifle and haven't regretted it for a second.
    Dave Merrill
    Instructor for MilCopp Tactical LLC.

Rifle first. Rifle last. Rifle always.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    It was determined that the SCAR-L gave no performance gains over the existing platform. Period.

For what it's worth, there were numerous failures. Despite popular opinion on the internet, a carbine course is not hardcore, and not the final measure of a firearm. Under harsher conditions, things broke.

I'm not saying not to buy one. Who am I to tell a man what to use his money on? I'm not saying it's a horrible gun either. I'm just stating some facts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    It was determined that the SCAR-L gave no performance gains over the existing platform. Period.

For what it's worth, there were numerous failures. Despite popular opinion on the internet, a carbine course is not hardcore, and not the final measure of a firearm. Under harsher conditions, things broke.

I'm not saying not to buy one. Who am I to tell a man what to use his money on? I'm not saying it's a horrible gun either. I'm just stating some facts.
    Please post links and specifics to your facts.....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post

I'm always interested in what a SME has to say even though it goes against popular conceptions.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast