Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: So...is SCAR16 done for?

Feedback Score

Question So...is SCAR16 done for?

Was looking at a SCAR16 the other day, I like the light handling but with the news that Special Ops Cmd moving away from SCAR-L, and only getting SCAR-H from now on, it seems SCAR16 is done for? I don't think any other militaries are looking at it, and there's been no LE talk about it either.

So is the SCAR16 (the 5.56mm only version) about the shortest living mil-spec weapon? Does that give you pause about buying or keeping SCAR16 as a personal rifle?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    No. SCAR is great rifle....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I have had my scar a little over 2 years now, and must admit it's a great rifle.

However, the past couple of weeks I have been heavily debating selling it to fund a kac sr15 e3. I am just not as impressed by the scar 16s as I once was when I got it. Compared to my run of the mill ar's it doesn't do anything that makes it worth 2x the price, and from what I ahve read that's the way the military feels.

I have now decided to hang onto the scar for one reason, I just think it's cool and would hate to let it go only to want one later on. I would really like to get an sbr barrel one day, and if/when that happens I think the scar 16s will really come alive. For me a piston driven short barreled suppressed rifle is the highlight of the scar platform.

IMO, if you are looking for a 16" carbine, I would hesitate on buying the scar. If you are hoping for a great canidate to sbr, I think it is hard to beat the scar. The only options available now are having the factory barrel cut, but I like to be an optimist and hope some kind of factory or aftermarket barrel will be offered in 10.5". I think the scar 16s will continue to be a "fun" rifle for civilians to purchase and eventually the aftermarket will grow to support the rifle.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If production is stopped tomorrow and no one picks it up, I'd still keep mine. Great rifle and haven't regretted it for a second.
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    It was determined that the SCAR-L gave no performance gains over the existing platform. Period.

For what it's worth, there were numerous failures. Despite popular opinion on the internet, a carbine course is not hardcore, and not the final measure of a firearm. Under harsher conditions, things broke.

I'm not saying not to buy one. Who am I to tell a man what to use his money on? I'm not saying it's a horrible gun either. I'm just stating some facts.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    It was determined that the SCAR-L gave no performance gains over the existing platform. Period.

For what it's worth, there were numerous failures. Despite popular opinion on the internet, a carbine course is not hardcore, and not the final measure of a firearm. Under harsher conditions, things broke.

I'm not saying not to buy one. Who am I to tell a man what to use his money on? I'm not saying it's a horrible gun either. I'm just stating some facts.
    Please post links and specifics to your facts.....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)

I'm always interested in what a SME has to say even though it goes against popular conceptions.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I think that the SCAR 16 will be around for as long as there are not 5.56mm conversion kits for the SCAR 17. Even so, I don't think we've heard the last of the -16.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Fjallhrafn View Post
    I think that the SCAR 16 will be around for as long as there are not 5.56mm conversion kits for the SCAR 17....

That's what I was thinking too. Getting SCAR 17, and then can convert to 5.56x45 any time I want, and still have the platform for 7.62x51Nato. There might even be conversion to make it close to being DMR. All that versatility is lost with SCAR16.

Even then, it's pretty sad that SCAR has come to this. If the Army carbine project doesn't select it, then the SCAR will probably be the shortest lived assault weapon design.
    Last edited by Bushmaster-M4A3; 06-27-11 at 23:15.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I'd like some facts and figures to go with that input; don't get me wrong, if something better rolls along I'd get all high-school about that shit (I have no loyalty to any particular platform) but in my qualitative and quantitative views it is incrementally better than an M4A1 is about every category, sans gas system (neutral) and barrel profile (negative).
    Dave Merrill
    Terrible Technical Writer. Awful Photographer. Lazy Instructor. Kind of a dick.
    Loves Tacos.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast