Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: So...is SCAR16 done for?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    Please post links and specifics to your facts.....

That yellow highlight on his name should be enough to accept without demanding specifics that he might not be able to post.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by NongShim View Post
    It was determined that the SCAR-L gave no performance gains over the existing platform. Period.

For what it's worth, there were numerous failures. Despite popular opinion on the internet, a carbine course is not hardcore, and not the final measure of a firearm. Under harsher conditions, things broke.
    Does the SCAR-L break any less than M4A1 in the field? Both shoot the same caliber, and use the same magazine, so it's probably difficult to achieve the 100% performance increase that Army is looking for.
    Last edited by Bushmaster-M4A3; 06-27-11 at 23:41.

Feedback Score
    I was never in a position to be issued this weapon, but I was in A-stan when the first SCARs made their debut in 2009/2010. Issues that saw on my last deployment included:

1) Reciprocating Charging Handle - Although a desgin requirement for the contract, this was not popular with many end users. I cannot imagine that it would be considered in any M4 replacement contract.

2) Fragile Stock - Everything from the hinge back seemed to be relative weak compared to the rest of the rifle. The issues with the stock latch breaking were not limited to civilian rifles. It was also not uncommon to see tape applied to the cheek raiser or other broken stock parts.

Most of the people that I spoke to about the rifle described it as "different," but not necessarily better or worse that the M4. The SCAR H was much better received mainly because it accomplished the mission in a lighter package than it's 7.62 competition (which were not nearly as reliable or easy to support/maintain as the M4)

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar View Post
    That yellow highlight on his name should be enough to accept without demanding specifics that he might not be able to post.
    If someone has a question about that, take it to PM, not the open forum.
    Employee of colonialshooting.com

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Didn't know it was top secret. Don't really care at this point, I'm keeping mine next to my ARs. Regardless of what color screen names are highlighted in....
    FFL/SOT

Chuck Norris has to maintain a concealed weapon license in all 50 states in order to legally wear pants.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    My buddy at the Ranger Rgt says 1/75 was unhappy with it in service. Lots of broken parts.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by 99HMC4 View Post
    Please post links and specifics to your facts.....
    Just being able to have high round counts doesn't make a rifle solder proof.

Feedback Score
    USSOCOM PAO officer statement on 6/10/2011 - "The Mk 17 will fill an existing capability gap for a 7.62 mm rifle. The Mk 16 does not provide enough of a performance advantage over the M4 to justify spending limited USSOCOM funds when competing priorities are taken into consideration."

From: http://kitup.military.com/2010/08/ki...l-grinder.html

Pro guys can focus on "when competing priorities are taken into consideration."

Con guys can focus on "does not provide enough of a performance advantage over the M4 "

As for me, I'll stick to the Vulcan M4 because every one in the know knows that Hesse (sorry meant Vulcan) is the rifle used by those on the Tip of the Spear.

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    There are quite a few of us that were, and are, aware of things about the SCAR and the program that we are not able to share. It isn't perfect, just as *shock* most things aren't.
    When an Industry Professional or Subject Matter Expert does not jump to provide extensive documentation of an event or occurence, it's usually because the source or nature of the information is not for dissemination or they are held by a non-disclosure agreement.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    I know that happened with a platform my agency looked at to replace our ageing handguns. We found that platform that others on the West Coast and on this site love that we did not due to requirements that we tested. We are not aloud to say anything as well but that is the requirement if we want to test guns prior to buying them.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast