Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Search and Assess. What's the correct way?

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Damnit. I live in Philly, too. I was hoping to find someone nearby who teaches classes.

Guess I'll have to keep looking.
    Sayoc Tactical Group runs classes from time to time in the Poconos. They're more well known for the edged weapon work within the .mil community, but they're firearms classes are good to go, too.

Lots of opportunities in Pittsburg, if you're willing to travel.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911-A1 View Post
    Damnit. I live in Philly, too. I was hoping to find someone nearby who teaches classes.

Guess I'll have to keep looking.
    This guy is somewhat near you. Vickers instructor.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There are other ways to get a 360 degree view of the battlefield without doing a full 360 degree turn...
    I guess its a rule nowadays that badguys can only attack from 180 degrees and in
    Its only until we have nothing that we're free to do anything

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wes007 View Post
    There are other ways to get a 360 degree view of the battlefield without doing a full 360 degree turn...
    I guess its a rule nowadays that badguys can only attack from 180 degrees and in
    Do you have neck/back problems?

I can scan 360 while seated in a chair (so long as it has a low enough back to it).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by wes007 View Post
    Yes, it's a rule here. It's not safety related or anything.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by aflin View Post
    Gabe Suarez advocates 360 degree scan so that if a bad guy does appear where you're scanning, your body is already oriented to the direction of the bad guy. So rather than turning your whole body to deal with the threat, bring up sights. Much more efficient. He does credit this technique for saving his life a few times.
    Dude, please tell me your joking?
    Paul A. Hotaling
    Alias Training & Security Services, LLC
    Paul@aliastraining.com
    757-215-1959 (Mon-Fri 8AM-5PM)
    757-985-9586 (After Hours)
    www.aliastraining.com

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_Dinger View Post
    Dude, please tell me your joking?
    I'm certainly not a comedian...
    Kentucky Regional Training Group

Shot placement is power- Stephen A. Camp

I'm aware my avvy does not stand for Heckler and Koch

Feedback Score

For what it is worth.

I have been trained both ways, and have adopted a hybrid method based on some of my real life experiences (both LE and from my military time)

After firing (or detaining a suspect at gunpoint) I lower my weapon enough that I can see whatever target I just engaged in full. I do a detailed scan of whatever I deem to be my most likely danger area, which at the range is where all the targets are, by turning my body and weapon simultaneously keeping GENERALLY eyes, muzzle(ish), (potential)target.

While keeping my weapon in hand and pointed in a safe direction I then scan a full 360; depending on what gear I am wearing, and what sort of objects are around me, and where any partners I may have are, I may move my whole body or I may just turn my head.

Reading that over, it sounds kind of clunky - but when practiced is very smooth.

Part of my reason for doing it in this manner is that in real shoot situations it has always been a very fluid situation, and as I scanned I observed things that made me have to change in mid scan.

NOTE:
    As I was visualizing going through these procedures on the range it made me realize that I had never really quantified exactly HOW I do a search and assess after a critical incident - I just had naturally adopted this hybrid method.

Also, I realized that when on the range I dont think I have ever, not even once, used a light to better illuminate a target I have just engaged. I think I may start trying to incorporate that.

Great thread.
    Last edited by Preliator; 07-24-11 at 18:51. Reason: Spelling.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123