Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone NOT use a BUIS?

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    This topic is already redundant beyond belief. Let's not derail it with even more sillyness.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    Generally I doubt, but using BUIS is a perishable skill, so I use them a couple of times a year just for practice.
    Last edited by variablebinary; 07-04-11 at 03:39.
    Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit
    What Happened to the American dream? It came true. You're looking at it.

Feedback Score
    Trijicon TA33R8, no BUIS, no need.

Feedback Score
    I run Buis at a slight angle on my 6.5 grendel, 18 inch hunter as back up sights, that way no need to remove the scope if it wen t down

DA - B4 1992
    SOTIC 1993
    getting old but can still shoot

in memory of Harvey, 5th SFG Sniper Locker

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    no BUIS on my personal AR or duty AR.
    "Make friends with pain, and you will never be alone."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    Just curious. Does anyone rely solely on their optics?
    I've put backup sights on all of my rifles. The weight really isn't noticeable and the added cost in the long run isn't that big of a deal. Never know when you want a second setup to verify. Months ago I went shooting with my brother and wasn't getting the accuracy I was expecting. Figured it was ammo related but it had been a while since I shot my ar-10. Pulled the Trijicon AccuPoint off to make sure it wasn't it and shot some groups with the flip up iron points. Verified the gun didn't like the ammo. Mind you if I had to have waited till later to verify it wouldn't have been a big deal. They back up irons helped remove it though.

Never know when your optic will go down. If it is a range toy then it isn't a big deal.

Feedback Score
    I've heard of guys using a laser to backup the optic. Once the optic is zeroed, they adjust the laser dot to the same location as the red dot when viewed through the tube. If the optic takes a dump, they just turn on the laser and continue as before. Have not seen this setup in person so I don't know how it works in practice.
    Last edited by El Cid; 07-04-11 at 15:17.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
    Just curious. Does anyone rely solely on their optics?
    It really depends on the application. The AR with a .22 cal conversion, optics only right now, no BUIS. The one with big glass, optics only, no BUIS. Any duty/defensive rifle absolutely needs BUIS if an optic is used. A great example a couple days ago: during a department qual, guy breaks out his carbine equipped with a T1, which is of course known for a long battery life and durability. Optic was dead. A new 2032 battery solved the issue, but the Officer had been rolling with it like that.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I still don't understand the advantage of not having a BUIS. Seems like it would be a staple on any build.

I guess because of my background in the Marines I am kind of biased toward iron sights, but I've never bought a rifle thinking optic first. I always sight the iron sights, then mount the optic and sight that.

Feedback Score
    Depends on the rifle. I want a folding rear BUIS on my HD rifles that employ red dot optics (these also have a FSB), but see no need for them on the others that sport magnified optics.

It's a good idea to keep spare batteries handy. With regard to the T-1, you can buy those batteries in a 2-pak. I jot down the date of last replacement to keep track of expected battery life. I think a lot of guys expect they will last 5 years, but don't account for the power setting being used. The higher you keep the dot intensity cranked up, the less battery life you'll get. At position 8 of 12, the typical battery life is over 5 years. At position 10 of 12, the typical battery life is over 10 months.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast