Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .45 vs 9mm - which is better?

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)

.45 vs 9mm - which is better?

Mods - if this belongs in "beyond 223" please move.

Hi all,
    No this is not another AR vs AK / 45 vs 9mm thread. I'd like to get a bit of education on the comparitive differences of a 9mm vs .45acp AR for fun shooting and HD.

I understand 9mm is about 300fps faster and flatter trajectory than .45. I understand the differences between the calibers in terms of wound profiles (I work in an ER - seen it first hand) and price of rounds. I see lots of 9mm AR platforms but very few in 45. Is it really all about the the 45s lesser performance at 100 yards and over? What are the pros and cons here?

This will help me with my next AR purchase. Thanks in advance.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omega21 View Post
    Mods - if this belongs in "beyond 223" please move.

Hi all,
    No this is not another AR vs AK / 45 vs 9mm thread. I'd like to get a bit of education on the comparitive differences of a 9mm vs .45acp AR for fun shooting and HD.

I understand 9mm is about 300fps faster and flatter trajectory than .45. I understand the differences between the calibers in terms of wound profiles (I work in an ER - seen it first hand) and price of rounds. I see lots of 9mm AR platforms but very few in 45. Is it really all about the the 45s lesser performance at 100 yards and over? What are the pros and cons here?

This will help me with my next AR purchase. Thanks in advance.
    The differences in wound ballistics are slight the real issue is shot placement. But if this gun is for HD your far better off with a 5.56.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    29 (97%)
    Hey bro there was an interesting thread here the other day and here is a link as far a ballistics between the 2 and many others I thinks this is a handgun study though

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Semper Paratus AR-15 Armorer

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JR TACTICAL View Post
    Hey bro there was an interesting thread here the other day and here is a link as far a ballistics between the 2 and many others I thinks this is a handgun study though

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/node/7866
    Interesting but lumping all jhp's, soft points and ball into one caliber is not realistic.
    Pat
    Serving as a LEO since 1999.
    USPSA# A56876 A Class
    Firearms Instructor
    Armorer for AR15, 1911, Glocks and Remington 870 shotguns.

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Although I am not that versed in the pistol caliber AR variants, it is my understanding that the 9MM is the caliber that the higher end manufacturers build on. I have only seen other pistol calibers in lower tier manufacturers like OLY. What I guess I'm trying to say is that you are going to find better quality parts if you go the 9MM route.
    "Perfect Practice Makes Perfect"
    "There are 550 million firearms on this planet. That's one firearm for every 12 people. The question is... How do we arm the other 11?" Lord of War.
    "I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Just a suggestion but consider adding .40S&W for a AR P/C build.

A .40S&W AR build would be very interesting especially based on Glock Hi-cap magazines. DDLES appears to be working on a 9mm and later a .40S&W AR Glock based models to be released some time next year.

.40S&W cost wise while not as cheap as bulk 9mm does sell at decent prices and is cheaper at most distributes then .45acp.

Also during the last ammo shortage while almost every caliber was wiped out in most retail places I visited they all seamed to have .40S&W in stock.

Ballistics wise I would "Guess" a 165 to 180 grain bonded bullet having some decent wounding ability out to 50 or more yards from carbine length barrels.

Feedback Score
    lone wolf already has a 9mm dedicated lower for glock mags

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

Just curious, what is the purpose of a 9mm AR?

I always thought it was a carryover from the days when 9mm ammo must have been cheaper than AR ammo??

Just wondering...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    9mm AR is for close quarters combat where over penetration is a concern. I want one mostly for fun. Already have a 556 M&P. I really want to understand the balistic differences at 50 and 100 yds between a 9mm and 45 (out of an AR platform). 45 obviously is more expensive to shoot and less available, so what are the advantages if any (again in a AR platform at distance).

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by omega21 View Post
    9mm AR is for close quarters combat where over penetration is a concern. I want one mostly for fun. Already have a 556 M&P. I really want to understand the balistic differences at 50 and 100 yds between a 9mm and 45 (out of an AR platform). 45 obviously is more expensive to shoot and less available, so what are the advantages if any (again in a AR platform at distance).
    If you want a pistol caliber AR then go for it but the difference between 9mm and 45 is not enough to worry about. That being said, I would be more concerned about over penetration with a 9mm or 45 than a 5.56.

There have been documented cases of over penetration issues with pistol calibers out of carbines so don't think you are gaining anything by moving away from 5.56.
    "The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." John Steinbeck

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast