Thread: Break apart my proposed Mossberg 590 build

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Break apart my proposed Mossberg 590 build

Picked up the Mossberg 590 a week ago and I already know I need to order some stuff to get this shotgun setup. My dad gave me a tacstar 6 star side saddle so I got that covered(although I MAY swap to a 3gungear setup). So here is what I am thinking:

BFG Combat sling. Is the padded sling worth the extra money? Im thinking on a shotgun that weighs a bit more than an AR it may be.

BFG A1/A2 buttstock sling adapter.

Hogue reduced length of pull stock. Factory is 14" and a bit long for my arms. I can get a 12" LOP or 13" LOP Hogue stock. I was thinking of doing the 12" and then getting a limbsaver making it 13". Anybody have thoughts on this stock setup(I know a lot of guys run this setup)? I will not be doing a pistol grip/collapsible stock combo due to the location of the controls on the 500/590 series of guns.

Meprolight tritium replacement front sight. Is there anything better out there?

CDM Gear or Mesa Tactical barrel/magazine clamp with rail section with a TLR-1 mounted on it. Not sure which to go with. The Mesa Tactical has a built in sling swivel where as the CDM sling swivel mounts to the outside with some screws. I think the mesa would be stronger since the sling swivel is machined into the actual mount. I was going to run a GG&G front sling mount and a CDM or Mesa magazine clamp rail setup so I could have the TLR-1 on the left side to run with my thumb(like my AR is setup), but then realized that the light would be behind the sling and wouldnt work so the right side of the gun is really the only place for a light. Am I wrong in my thinking on this?

Vangcomp replacement oversized safety. Are any of the Brownells ones worth a look or is the Vangcomp really the only way to go?

Wolff XP magazine spring.

I was also thinking of doing a new follower, but I dont really know if its needed. Vangcomp makes one and so does Brownells. Aimpro makes a red anodized stock follower which to me means the stock follower is good enough(since Aimpro seems to be the Mossberg guys from what I can tell).

Anything else anybody can think of that I need(besides more ammo) or that I would want?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
    Picked up the Mossberg 590 a week ago and I already know I need to order some stuff to get this shotgun setup. My dad gave me a tacstar 6 star side saddle so I got that covered(although I MAY swap to a 3gungear setup). So here is what I am thinking:
    Go with the Vang side saddleBFG Combat sling. Is the padded sling worth the extra money? Im thinking on a shotgun that weighs a bit more than an AR it may be.
    Ether one will be fineBFG A1/A2 buttstock sling adapter.

Hogue reduced length of pull stock. Factory is 14" and a bit long for my arms. I can get a 12" LOP or 13" LOP Hogue stock. I was thinking of doing the 12" and then getting a limbsaver making it 13". Anybody have thoughts on this stock setup(I know a lot of guys run this setup)? I will not be doing a pistol grip/collapsible stock combo due to the location of the controls on the 500/590 series of guns.
    As long as you aren't wearing armor, you will love this setupMeprolight tritium replacement front sight. Is there anything better out there? You could go with a Big Dot
    CDM Gear or Mesa Tactical barrel/magazine clamp with rail section with a TLR-1 mounted on it. Not sure which to go with. The Mesa Tactical has a built in sling swivel where as the CDM sling swivel mounts to the outside with some screws. I think the mesa would be stronger since the sling swivel is machined into the actual mount. I was going to run a GG&G front sling mount and a CDM or Mesa magazine clamp rail setup so I could have the TLR-1 on the left side to run with my thumb(like my AR is setup), but then realized that the light would be behind the sling and wouldnt work so the right side of the gun is really the only place for a light. Am I wrong in my thinking on this? Go with the CDM
    Vangcomp replacement oversized safety. Are any of the Brownells ones worth a look or is the Vangcomp really the only way to go?
    Vang is the way to goWolff XP magazine spring. Yes
    I was also thinking of doing a new follower, but I dont really know if its needed. Vangcomp makes one and so does Brownells. Aimpro makes a red anodized stock follower which to me means the stock follower is good enough(since Aimpro seems to be the Mossberg guys from what I can tell). This is what I used, if you can find one: S&J Hardware follower
    Anything else anybody can think of that I need(besides more ammo) or that I would want?
    What I'd do, FWIW
    All of your choices seem well thought out, I think you are tracking.
    Domari Nolo

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I'd look at the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock instead

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by kmrtnsn View Post
    I'd look at the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock instead
    Not available for Mossbergs unless I am not reading their site correctly. Rem 870 and Benelli's.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    20" 590 or 590A1?

Anyhow:
    Vang Safety, I don't like the lip on the Brownells safety.

13" LOP Houge, although I use cut down factory stocks with the Limbsaver installed.

The Vang side saddle is an over complecated over priced version of the 3 Gun Gear design. You add a metal plate and some hardware to install a velcro side saddle? about the only plus is you don't muss the finish on the reciever.

If your not set on the TLR and don't have an A1 look into the CDM MOD-C + sling swivel kit:

I can't seem to use a two point sling on a pump gun for shit, so I can't help you there.
    pro-patria.us

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by DMR View Post
    20" 590 or 590A1?

Anyhow:
    Vang Safety, I don't like the lip on the Brownells safety.

13" LOP Houge, although I use cut down factory stocks with the Limbsaver installed.

The Vang side saddle is an over complecated over priced version of the 3 Gun Gear design. You add a metal plate and some hardware to install a velcro side saddle? about the only plus is you don't muss the finish on the reciever.

If your not set on the TLR and don't have an A1 look into the CDM MOD-C + sling swivel kit:

I can't seem to use a two point sling on a pump gun for shit, so I can't help you there.
    20" 590, not the A1.

I think I am going to grab the 12" Hogue and see how that is and then if I think I want it longer just grab the limbsaver to bring me to 13". If I get the 13" Hogue I am stuck without being able to add a limbsaver(if I do I am simply bringing it back out to 14").

I am partial to the TLR simply because I run one on my AR and on my pistol so I am already familiar with the operation. CDM and Mesa both make a similar rail/sling swivel setup, just dont know which is better. They both get consistently high marks.

Im going to stick with the NCStar side saddle for now because it was free and it does what I need. I will probably go with the 3gungear setup eventually but its not the highest priority.

As far as slings, I run a single point(MS2 and ASAP plate) on my main AR(dont have slings on my other AR's), but I dont think for the shotgun I want to run that way. I am thinking of swapping my MS2/ASAP setup on my main AR for the same 2 point I get for the shot gun simply to make them similar in operation.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    double tap
    Last edited by rjacobs; 07-25-11 at 17:32.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I run a 14 inch barrel Mossberg 590A1 with the 12" Hogue Youth Stock, 3GunGear.com 7 round nylon side saddle, and a SureFire 621FA Weaponlight, as seen below:

My 590A1 also has a Brownell's Enhanced Mossberg Safety, as seen here:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2..._SAFETY_BUTTON

I really like the 14" SBS and thinks it's worth the additional fee for the tax stamp depending on what your intended use is for the weapon. I'm in LE and this is my personal tactical shotgun which I use for work and in local multi-gun action shooting competitions (mostly for the extra practice and reps).

The 12" Hogue Youth Stock helps me to keep the weapon's length shorter (my OAL is 35") for CQB and also shortens my LOP when wearing body armor. When I use a long gun tactically, either rifle or shotgun, I square up my shoulders to my intended target, so as to present my armor/front chest for further protection. This shorter LOP is a benefit to me since I'm only 5'9" tall.

I also really like the 3GunGear.com's 7 round nylon side saddle with its capability to quickly replenish your ammo source by replacing it with another from your chest rig, plate carrier, etc.
    www.king33training.com

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2/1 SFG(A)
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM / DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Feedback Score
    You might want to add a class from an instructor like Rob Haught or Louis Awerbuck to your list. If anything in your setup needs attention, it'll quickly surface in class. Better yet, the software upgrade you get from one of those gents is the best purchase you can ever make whether you're running a pump, a semi or anything in between.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by snake eater 332 View Post

I really like the 14" SBS and thinks it's worth the additional fee for the tax stamp depending on what your intended use is for the weapon. I'm in LE and this is my personal tactical shotgun which I use for work and in local multi-gun action shooting competitions (mostly for the extra practice and reps).
    Well I would have to do a lot to this shotgun to cut it down because the mag tube is the same length as the barrel. Something I am not wanting to do right now. I would start with a different shotgun probably if I was going to do a SBS.

Quote Originally Posted by padwan View Post
    You might want to add a class from an instructor like Rob Haught or Louis Awerbuck to your list. If anything in your setup needs attention, it'll quickly surface in class. Better yet, the software upgrade you get from one of those gents is the best purchase you can ever make whether you're running a pump, a semi or anything in between.
    I plan to take a class. Only problem is all the good instructors never make it close enough to St. Louis for me to go. I think I am going to head down to APT Academy down in Springfield, MO at the end of October for a 2 day class.