Thread: 870P vs. 590a1?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    11 (100%)

870P vs. 590a1?

Planning on getting one or the other, and based on what I have heard so far, leaning a certain direction already. Gun with be Vang Comp'ed (without ports, though) and probably purchased directly through Hans Vang's shop.

What I am mainly interested in:

Which one is least likely to take a dump on me and need minor work.
    Which one is least likely to take a major fight-stopping dump on me.
    Which one will last the longest. (longest service-life with buckshot/slugs)

I am not worried about cross-bolt safety vs. tang safety, etc. as that is more a user-preference thing.

I have an 870 Wing master in 20ga from the 70's and am familiar with the 870. I just bought a 590a1 SPX as a gift and plan on shooting it some myself this coming week. I will make my own call on the ergos.

Mainly, I am wanting opinions such as "I am an armorer for XXXX and we ran XXXX but they fell apart so we now run XXXX" or "I see a lot of XXXX in my shop with broken such and such" or something of the like.

Previously, I have been a complete Benelli fan. However, I am just not liking the Novas I have fondled, and I want a pump action for a KISS shotgun. I have a decked out M4S90 (Surefire M80, 7-round mag, C-stock, etc. etc. etc.) and I love it for the range and mulching small bushes, produce, etc., but I want a no-nonsense high-end pump gun.

PS> If you feel I that the 870 is the way to go, is there any reason I should NOT go with Vang Comp, and instead go with Nighthawk or someone else who uses his barrels? I am very sold on the Vang Comp barrel system (sans ports), even though Flite Control now exists. It does well without the ports being drilled, and I would really like to get great patterns with other buckshot as well.

Also, does anyone have a picture of a full Vang Comp gun? He uses a bead-blast and then a bluing type finish from what I understand, but I have yet to find a GOOD hi-res photo of what this finish looks like. Would appreciate. Even if it's just a close-up of the barrel or something.

So far my idea:

870P + LPA sights w/integrated rail and tritium front post + Vang Comp barrel work (except ports) + a +2 Vang Comp extension + Stainless follower

-or-

590a1 + Vang Comp barrel work

Yes the 870P will cost more. I don't care. I plan on buying once, crying once, and over a life-time of use the price difference will dissipate from memory but choosing the 2nd best will be a constant downfall.
    Last edited by WS6; 07-16-11 at 07:11.