Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 870P vs. 590a1?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    -Magazine spring gets pretty weak feeling after a few hundred rounds.
    I had the same problem w/ the 590A1, but no malfunctions. I called Mossberg and a week later I had a replacement spring @ no cost. I would like an 870 also to compare.
    Last edited by onado2000; 07-22-11 at 09:57. Reason: oops, bad speller

Feedback Score
    First shotgun was a Remington 870 Magnum, then an 1100 w/mag extension. Then I got a Remington 870 Police... followed by 2-3 more (one had the Remington factory top-folding stock). Next was a NEF single-shot 3 1/2" 10 gauge, and I had the barrel cut to 22 inches (a detour from what we are really talking about, obviously... but what the heck). Then I got a Winchester Defender 8-shot w/synthetic-stock...

I have fired 2 Mossbergs, one was a pistol-gripped 'Cruiser', the other was the 590A1 9-shot w/heat shield and bayo lug...

The Mossbergs seemed to me to have rough actions, and it seemed like I had to 'muscle' them more to cycle the actions. The remingtons are smooth, but I had the occasonal 'short shuck' and shell stuck under the loading gate issues. I love the Winchester... the action is smooth, and has yet to fail me in any way. I guess THAT is what matters to me...

Oh, and the NEF wounds at both ends... especially with slugs and buckshot!!!
    Last edited by Glock17JHP; 07-22-11 at 13:33.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by onado2000 View Post
    I had the same problem w/ the 590A1, but no malfunctions. I called Mossberg and a week later I had a replacement spring @ no cost. I would like an 870 also to compare.
    I swaped out my 590's OEM mag spring with a Wolff Xtra Power spring.
    "In a nut shell, if it ever goes to Civil War, I'm afraid I'll be in the middle 70%, shooting at both sides" — 26 Inf

"We have to stop demonizing people and realize the biggest terror threat in this country is white men, most of them radicalized to the right, and we have to start doing something about them." — CNN's Don Lemon 10/30/18

Feedback Score
    I keep my 8-shot Winchester Defender's magazine loaded 100% full (7 rounds) all the time... except when shooting it, or when cleaning it. I have been doing this for way over 5 years (I am not home to verify the exact number of years), and have never had any trouble as a result. This shotgun has always been 100% reliable for me.

I did buy a second magazine spring right after getting the shotgun, just in case... but have never had to use it.

Anyone else keep their shotgun's magazine loaded all the time?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Hands-on is definitely the best way to get a feel for what fits you best. Keep us updated on your new Vang Comp!

As far as the front sight cant and loose bayonet, I would contact Mossberg about that (or get your friend to contact them).

Quote Originally Posted by WS6 View Post
    Well, I bought one of my friends a 590a1 SPX and got to shoot it some. Impressions:

-After being racked 2-300 times, it smooths up nicely as all the parts wear in.

-The bayonet flies off if you fire it with it attached.

-The barrel is a brick out-house. Love/hate relationship with it.

-FliteControl will shoot a 7-10" pattern at 40 yards. (damn impressed!)

-Regular buckshot groups decently. 00 did better with it than it did from my M4S90 w/MOD choke. Kindof butthurt about that.

-It groups slugs very accurately (standing/off-hand was able to cut large holes in target at 40 yards).

-Magazine spring gets pretty weak feeling after a few hundred rounds.

-Front sight is canted 3-5*.

Over-all, I think it's a great shotgun, but I am going to go with an 870P from either Vang Comp or Nighthawk. It WILL cost more, but I feel that I will enjoy it more.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Moose-Knuckle View Post
    That is how it's done. Bravo sir, nice boom stick.
    Why thank you very much, Moose Knuckle!
    www.king33training.com

Si vis pacem, para bellum

2/1 SFG(A)
    ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM / DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234