Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eye protection FAIL - with pic

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    A reminder of the importance of eye-pro is always good. Glad it missed your eye.

I've always worn either Oakleys, generic Z87 rated wrap arounds, or more recently Rudy Projects. All of them have taken direct impacts from hot brass, shrap from shooting steel, other assorted flying debris, etc. and have no doubt saved my eyesight on more than one occasion. The importance of impact resistant eye-pro with good coverage cannot be emphasized enough.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lasvegasone View Post
    As a result of my poor choice (regular sunglasses), I now have a reminder of that mistake.
    So what kind of sunglasses were you wearing? Any pics of the glasses?
    I've got a bunch of survival guides on my Kindle, so I'm ready for an EMP.

Feedback Score
    Theres lots of cool ANSI approved safety glass's out there now, not the old Univex crap from years ago.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by lasvegasone View Post
    I should let you know that but for the grace of God I'm able to write this topic. I Failed to wear the proper eye protection suitable for range shooting.

As a result of my poor choice (regular sunglasses), I now have a reminder of that mistake. As you can see, I came **thisclose** to losing my left eye to an ejected shell casing. Had the casing struck me vertical instead of horizontal, I'd be shopping for eye patch today.

Second degree burns on the skin heal quickly. On the cornea, it just blinds.

You are responsible for you own safety. Exercise that right.
    Last week I was doing some agency provided firearms training. During one of the drills, we had to get off 10 rounds (in the five ring) at 10 yards in 5 seconds using our iron sights. On about round 4, a piece of brass ejected from the rifle to my left and became lodged between my Oakley M Frames and my temple. I managed to get all 10 rounds off, but was left with one hell of a burn.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    As a note, Keeping the wound clean and application of neosporin has helped heal the skin. Just don't let it enter the eye tissues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12