Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EDC #2 (Spyderco?)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

EDC #2 (Spyderco?)

Hey guys, I mostly work in an office setting so I have been running a Kershaw leek for probably close to two years now and it is absolutely perfect for that role. However, I'm looking for something with a little bit less of a fragile blade tip, and something with just a little belly on the blade (the Leek has basically none). I'm looking at the Benchmade Griptilian and the Spyderco Endura right now; my choice will basically be my EDC blade for any time I'm not at work (my #2 EDC blade).

Here's my main question, though- everyone on the net seems to rave about the Spyderco knives, but they appear as though they'd feel cheap in the hand (I guess the bright colors and plasticy look make them look like toys to me). Are they really as great as many say?

Thanks for any opinions and/or information. I've used knives for a long time of course, but never really looked into the pros/cons of the specs of different knives, like blade material etc.

Feedback Score
    49 (100%)
    If you are going to open letters / people, the lock on the Spyderco will be fine. If your going to open letters / people / chop a 2x4 in half, the Benchmade would be a better choice as the Axis lock is superb. The feel in the hand between the Griptilian and the Endura will not be too much different; similar class imo.
    Matthew 10:28

Feedback Score
    I had a stainless Spyderco at one time, till Sis used it as a screwdriver .

I replaced it with an Endura and I carry a Benchmade 710 99% of the time for a big knife and I have a leek for small work. The Endura doesn't feel cheap with the plastic handle but it is lighter and doesn't have the same heft feeling as the Benchmade.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I have had a lot of good experiences with Spyderco folders, along with Benchmade, Kershaw and others.

My current EDC is a Spyderco Ambitious:

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Ambit.../dp/B004MMSDHO

It works well, does not scare people quite so much as others, and is a whopping $30. If I have to pitch it into a trash can or storm drain, I'm not upset.

The Endura is not a bad little knife either.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Either way you'll be getting a pretty decent knife. I own and have carried both quite a bit and I think the Spyderco is slightly more robust but the Benchmade is a little more comfortable. I haven't managed to break either. If you don't mid spending a bit more both brands make knives with G-10 handles that are tougher and better looking/feeling than the injection molded ones. For instance the Spyderco Paramilitary 2 has S30V blade steel, G10 handles and can be found for less than $100. For a little more than that you can step up to a Sage 2 which is an outstanding knife whose quality approaches that of a Sebenza. That said, I've used the two models you mention as EDC blades and had no problems with them holding up to everyday tasks. Kershaw is another good brand to look at. Good luck and be careful, it gets addictive.
    Last edited by mkmckinley; 06-12-11 at 20:06.

Feedback Score
    52 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post

My current EDC is a Spyderco Ambitious:

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-Ambit.../dp/B004MMSDHO
    How do you like the 8Cr13MoV?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Sounds like either can work fine for me. Most of the work I do with my knives is pretty light duty- cutting cardboard, plastic packages, occasional rope, just general around-the-house type stuff. I should probably get a good fixed blade knife for camping, off-roading, etc.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have had a lot of knives...EDC'd a lot of fixed blades over the years and a few folders.

I have built more than a few knives myself from several different steels, too.

And finally, I have been in construction all of my adult life and my knives don't get "open a box of file folders" use or even "theoretically could transition to this, but really just use it to clean my nails" LEO use.

No, I use my knives for work, every single day.

I currently EDC an Endura. I like it. It's not super fast to open (didn't really want the wave function) but it works well at cutting stuff, which is why I bought it.

I have a pry bar for prying. I do not object to "sharpened prybar" knives but I don't use them myself. If you're coming off a Leek (my wife EDCs one and they are delicate but excellent cutters) and just looking for something a little more robust with a little more belly the Endura will be great.

But the Delica might be worth considering as well. I don't have any issue putting an Endura in my pocket, but I don't wear office clothes. I am not sure it would work well in dress pants.
    Full disclosure: I'm the editor of Calibre Magazine, which is Canada's gun magazine. In the past I've done consulting work for different manufacturers and OEM suppliers, but not currently. M4C's disclosure policy doesn't seem to cover me but we do have advertisers, although I don't handle that side of things and in general I do not know who is paying us at any given time.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Thanks, misanthropist. I won't be ditching my Leek any time soon, that's for sure, as it's perfect for when I'm at work. However, I keep seeing myself run upon situations where I need to use my knife and i grab the Leek, which currently goes everywhere with me- I take it out of my pocket and go "eehhh....I don't really think I should use my knife for this." for fear of damaging the blade.

99% of the time, this happens when I'm not at work. Boating, off-roading, camping, shooting, you get the idea. So the Leek will be my knife on "work days" and I think I'll grab the Endura 4 FFG for days I'm not working.

Now, to the question that REALLY matters...what color do go with?!

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mkmckinley View Post
    How do you like the 8Cr13MoV?
    It's worked fine for its role. Opening boxes, cutting cord, slicing the occasional Ethernet cable.

It's not CPM-S30V, S90V, or 154CM. But a quick touch-up with the Sharpmaker every other week is all it needs.

If I lose it, I'll buy another.

If I need a beefier folder, I have a an original full-size Spyderco Manix I tote around for heavier chores. Anything bigger than that gets the Busse fixed blade, an axe, or a chainsaw.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast