Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Dog .22 mags

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)

Black Dog .22 mags

Lots of chatter about them on TOS. Made to work with the Ceiner kit and all uppers that utilize this kit (Atchisson, Spike's, KKF, etc.). There's two versions, the Full Body Magazines - 27 Round for $35 MSRP and the First Generation Magazines 30 round.

I'm about to order a Spike's .22 upper and I'm going to want to get 10 mags +/- for this thing. My initial take is to order 8 of the first gen from Brownells for $20/ea and two of the Full Body from Spike's Tactical for $30. Mostly just to save the $80.

Any real reason to stick with the newer Full Body mags? Any benefit over the First Gen other than looks and similar feel/use in mag pouches?

I'm thinking MAYBE I'll get 4 of the Full Bodies to use for cheap training (3 in the chest rig, one in the gun) and the rest the First Gen for plinking with the boy at the range.

What's everyone's experience with these things? Anything I need to know before ordering?

Feedback Score

I just received a full size

With the 223 BCG in, the mag would not lock into the mag well of 2 different 6920's but did lock in when I put in a ceiner conversion BCG. It locked into a RRA magwell with the 223 BCG in place. I haven't used the mag yet to see how it runs. I guess the message is don't rush to judge the mag without the conversion.

Larry

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Lots of chatter about them on TOS. Made to work with the Ceiner kit and all uppers that utilize this kit (Atchisson, Spike's, KKF, etc.). There's two versions, the Full Body Magazines - 27 Round for $35 MSRP and the [url=http://www.blackdogmachinellc.net/?First_Generation_Magazines]First Generation Magazines 30 round[/rul].

I'm about to order a Spike's .22 upper and I'm going to want to get 10 mags +/- for this thing. My initial take is to order 8 of the first gen from Brownells for $20/ea and two of the Full Body from Spike's Tactical for $30. Mostly just to save the $80.

Any real reason to stick with the newer Full Body mags? Any benefit over the First Gen other than looks and similar feel/use in mag pouches?

I'm thinking MAYBE I'll get 4 of the Full Bodies to use for cheap training (3 in the chest rig, one in the gun) and the rest the First Gen for plinking with the boy at the range.

What's everyone's experience with these things? Anything I need to know before ordering?

We ordered some of the Spikes barrels and their custom Ciener conversions. We also got a bunch of the new BD full mags. Initially we could not get the rounds to chamber as the feed ramp on the Ciener and the lip on the Spikes barrel were off and too steep. The rounds nose dived into the top of the barrel (no good).
    So we hand filed the two feed ramps so that they came together better. Next we polished the feed ramps and the chamber.
    The Ciener conversion is also VERY rough and gritty so we polished the rails that the bolt rides on (top and bottom).

We went back out and test fired the weapon (have about 300rds through it supressed) and it runs great!

If interested, we can build you an upper and sell you the mags. We will make sure everything is running before it leaves our shop.

C4

My .22 dedicated AR.

Last edited by C4IGrant; 10-27-07 at 16:10.

Feedback Score

Tested ammo for function

Using a standard Ciener conversion in a 6920, Rem green box would not feed with more than 10 rounds in the mag. That reflects what others have reported - Rem green doesn't run well in Spike's (although it runs fine with Ciener 10 round mags). I tested a loaded mag or two of a few other brands I had lying around. Federal Classic and Game Shok, CCI Velocitor and Stinger, and Thunderbolt ran fine. A mag loader would be real nice.

Larry

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Has anyone tried ordering the full size mags through Brownell's as a special order? I used to get MagPul stuff that wasn't in the catalog that way.
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I was kind of hoping Brownells would pick up the "full" mags as well.

I found a link on TOS for somebody or other selling the "fullsize" for $27.50/ea shipped if you buy 10. Maybe I'll just do that.

Grant, you have a PM.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I found a link on TOS for somebody or other selling the "fullsize" for $27.50/ea shipped if you buy 10. Maybe I'll just do that.
    Good idea. Then I can sell my 10 pre-ban Ceiners to a New York stock broker and retire.
    Last edited by Submariner; 10-27-07 at 17:38. Reason: spelling
    "The very purpose of a Bill of Rights was to withdraw certain subjects from the vicissitudes of political controversy, to place them beyond the reach of majorities and officials and to establish them as legal principles to be applied by the courts." Justice Robert Jackson, WV St. Board of Education v. Barnette, 319 U.S. 624 (1943)

"I don’t care how many pull ups and sit ups you can do. I care that you can move yourself across the ground with a fighting load and engage the enemy." Max Velocity

Feedback Score
    Grant

Do you have a price list or price range for your .22 uppers.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    We ordered some of the Spikes barrels and their custom Ciener conversions. We also got a bunch of the new BD full mags. Initially we could not get the rounds to chamber as the feed ramp on the Ciener and the lip on the Spikes barrel were off and too steep. The rounds nose dived into the top of the barrel (no good).
    So we hand filed the two feed ramps so that they came together better. Next we polished the feed ramps and the chamber.
    The Ciener conversion is also VERY rough and gritty so we polished the rails that the bolt rides on (top and bottom).

We went back out and test fired the weapon (have about 300rds through it supressed) and it runs great!

If interested, we can build you an upper and sell you the mags. We will make sure everything is running before it leaves our shop.

C4

My .22 dedicated AR.

Dammnit Grant! Why do you keep selling stuff I just have to buy? I will call you next week.

Feedback Score
    Grant,

How many inches is the barrel on that upper? Also, what would it cost for an upper with the conversion kit less the handguard?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast