Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Black Dog .22 mags

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    Barrel is 5.5" and we also have them 16" length. Do you want just a standard A3 receiver and A2 FS?

C4
    I already have an extra carbine handguard. So I was looking at an A3 receiver and charging handle, modified kit, and correct barrel with no FS but threaded. Would a 4 inch barrel work and function properly with standard vel ammo?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lgh View Post
    And would it run with the cheap ammo like Rem Green, Blazer, bulk Federal, Thunderbolt, etc.?

Larry
    Ciener Conversion, full size Black Dog mags, Gen I MagPuls, DPMS LoPro upper (for the intended purpose, there's no point in retaining the forward assist & ejection port cover), 20" Colt 1-12 twist M16 bbl shortened to 8.5", EOTech, 7" YHM F/F rail, AA VFG, Viking Tactics light mount & Surefire 6V. All refinished in Coyote Tan. A dedicated bbl might be more accurate - I won't argue either way as I've not compared on paper, but I just happened to have a 20" Colt bbl collecting dust. The first 2 ARs this conversion was dropped-into are zeroed at 50yds. with 5.56. At 50 yds. with .22LR they were about 6" - 8" low fired offhand. At 150 yds. with the dot on top of a 16" piece of steel, offhand, it could be rung most of the time - maybe luck, maybe slop or a bit of both. With the dedicated upper there's the advantage of sight zero for .22LR ammo. It's plenty accurate for CQB - 50 yds. regardless. Also, bbl length has no effect on function, because it's blowback operation.

Obtained the Ciener Conversion, cleaned & lubed it, then hand cycled it 500X, cleaned & lubed again then ran it in 2 different carbines for several hundred rds. apiece without cleaning. At that point the decision was made for a dedicated upper for an SBR. Numerous Blazer, Federal Value Pack, American Eagle, Rem Golden Bullets, Rem Thunderbolts, WW Dynapoint, WW Powerpoint, WW Super X & Aguila Subsonic 40 gr. have gone downrange with no malfuntions yet. As far as cleaning, I simply pull the conversion out, dip it in lacquer thinner, run a brush over it, blow-out with compressed air & lube. Excellent running conversion. YMMV

I've seen Spike's Tactical & Grant's set-ups run great, too!

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by rmecapn View Post
    Grant, I already have an existing Ceiner kit. Can you put together an upper that would work with the existing kit and not the modified kit?

Karl

Did Spikes modify your Ciener kit? If no, then you cannot use Spikes barrels.

C4

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    I already have an extra carbine handguard. So I was looking at an A3 receiver and charging handle, modified kit, and correct barrel with no FS but threaded. Would a 4 inch barrel work and function properly with standard vel ammo?

We can help with that. The barrels come in two lengths (5.5 and 16).

C4

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C4IGrant View Post
    We can help with that. The barrels come in two lengths (5.5 and 16).

C4
    What would be an approximate cost with the 5.5 inch barrel. Do you also test them before shipping?

Feedback Score
    33 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Logic View Post
    What would be an approximate cost with the 5.5 inch barrel. Do you also test them before shipping?

Depends on the other items that you want (rail, upper receiver, etc).

C4

Feedback Score
    Ive got over a thousand rds on my 1st run full body test mag both semi and FA, (mostly FA ) with zero failures. Ammo used is strictly CCI minimags SP's.

I also had some bad luck with the older, skinny ones but Bruce traded me for the new ones....Nice guy!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123