Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ACOG TA01 NSN question

Feedback Score
    18 (88%)

ACOG TA01 NSN question

Hey guys, a couple week back i finished putting together an SPR-ish build that i had brewing for a couple of months. Turned out ok

Now, my optic quest has been a nasty one but i finally narrowed it down to an ACOG. The question is: is it the right one for me...

A fellow shooter offered me a TA01 NSN unit (In 96-99% condition) for 600 bucks at my local range. Quite frankly i had been leaning towards the TA31F-A4 since the barrel is 18" long. But the fact that pulling longer precise-er shots is harder with the chevron, got me thinking TA01NSN.

IMHO the 600 bucks deal is good to go, and the unit is in great condition. The gun will be seeing a lot of run and gunning, the occasional 3-gun and some CMP 600-800yds practices.

That said, out of which Acog do you thing i'll squeeze the most juice? TA01NSN or TA31?

As always, thanks in advance guys!!

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)

I had one I shot 400-500 rounds through over a few months last year that I could have got for $500. It was a 3-year old model that was mint. It held its settings and I shot well enough with it on the bench but to me and my old eyes:
    - the crosshairs were too fine for shooting fast.
    - I could only see the "illuminated crosshair center" if I hadn't seen light in like 12-hours. It was very very dim.
    - The BDC was very hard to see. The 200-yard crosshair was like almost impossible to distinguish on target, plus I thought it was pointless.

There are other ACOG's that I would look at first.

But maybe it's just me...

Last edited by ucrt; 07-24-11 at 09:10.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Great sight at a great price but in my opnion the wrong choice for your application. It was designed for a 14.5" barrel and a 62g bullet with in a specific veloicty range. I would look at a 1-4 variable scope.
    "After I shot myself, my training took over and I called my parents..." Texas Grebner

"Take me with a grain of salt, my sarcasm does not relate well over the internet"

Jonathan Morehouse

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The ACOG is not a precision optic. You should be looking at higher powered scopes, especially for 800 yards.

Feedback Score
    The TA01 or TA01NSN with crosshair is a much much better reticle (precision wise) than a chevron, IMO. I've run the same one on 14.5", 16" and 20" rifles with no issues. Just zero it at the 300M hash mark and note any hold-off adjustments at other distances. They will be small, but will vary depending on ammo and altitude. Not a big deal at all.

Mine is a mid 1990s model and the tritium lamp is gone, so I might be concerned on the age/remaining life on the used one you are looking at. The optics quality on the newer ones is just outstanding (and much better than what I have).

I agree they are not a long range precision optic, but they work very well to 500 Meters or so - and there is nothing faster unless you are at CQB distance or need 10x to see a small target.

Feedback Score
    18 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by shootist~ View Post
    The TA01 or TA01NSN with crosshair is a much much better reticle (precision wise) than a chevron, IMO. I've run the same one on 14.5", 16" and 20" rifles with no issues. Just zero it at the 300M hash mark and note any hold-off adjustments at other distances. They will be small, but will vary depending on ammo and altitude. Not a big deal at all.

Mine is a mid 1990s model and the tritium lamp is gone, so I might be concerned on the age/remaining life on the used one you are looking at. The optics quality on the newer ones is just outstanding (and much better than what I have).

I agree they are not a long range precision optic, but they work very well to 500 Meters or so - and there is nothing faster unless you are at CQB distance or need 10x to see a small target.
    When you say "zero @ the 300m hash mark", you mean like zero the unit at a 100m using the 100m hash or making a zero with the 100m hash @300m?

Also the unit is in great condition and work perfectly. The other optic i was considering was a Viper Vortex PST 1-4 but the Ta01NSN for 100 bucks more really caught my eye...

Just looking for a couple more informated opinions.

As always, thanks guys!!

Feedback Score
    28 (100%)
    It doesn't matter how good of a deal you get if the item doesn't fill your needs.
    If you want an ACOG, I would point you toward an 11 or 33.

Zeroing: should be at 300 meters with the 300 meter line. It gives the best all around use of the BDC.

BTW- I am 75% sure that CMP is irons only, but maybe it has grown up since my last exposure to it.
    Jack Leuba
    Director of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company
    jleuba@knightarmco.com

Feedback Score
    18 (88%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    It doesn't matter how good of a deal you get if the item doesn't fill your needs.
    If you want an ACOG, I would point you toward an 11 or 33.

Zeroing: should be at 300 meters with the 300 meter line. It gives the best all around use of the BDC.

BTW- I am 75% sure that CMP is irons only, but maybe it has grown up since my last exposure to it.
    Yeah, service rifle matches at CMP are irons only but they also host FT-R practices.

As far as the optics question, im noting it's not the right pick for my application no matter how good the deal is. Im starting to list heavily again towards the Vortex Viper PST 1-4...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ovaj View Post
    When you say "zero @ the 300m hash mark", you mean like zero the unit at a 100m using the 100m hash or making a zero with the 100m hash @300m?

Also the unit is in great condition and work perfectly. The other optic i was considering was a Viper Vortex PST 1-4 but the Ta01NSN for 100 bucks more really caught my eye...

Just looking for a couple more informated opinions.

As always, thanks guys!!
    Zero using the 300M hash mark at 300 actual, of course.

There is no free brunch, but for your stated purpose of longer distance, the newer TA01s have considerably better glass than the PST (based on my PST) and a much cleaner Crosshair/BDC reticle.

The PST, at 1x, wins at CQB distances, but it's lacking in longer range precision. It's a very decent budget priced scope.

If you have access to it why not give it a try and see how you like it yourself. My observations are just what my eyes see. Yours could be different.

ETA: For a SPR optic (on a budget), I would lean toward the PST 2.5-10. The NF 2.5-10x32 is the proven choice and the USO in that power range would be worth a look as well.
    Last edited by shootist~; 07-26-11 at 08:30.

Feedback Score
    18 (88%)
    The biggest concern for me at this point is not speed, it's the negative reviews i've been seeing on the way the 200m hash is located. Supposedly too close to the 100m mark to get precise hits.

Also the fact that the gun is a 18" not a 14.5" for the BDC to be effective. I know that the length is not the only thing involved ( a lot of variables are when using the BDC) but still, i don't want to be THAT off.

How do i know if it's an older model or a newer one? I have the serial just in case.

Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast