Thread: Aimpoint Micro T-1 & 3x Magnifier Issues

Feedback Score

Aimpoint Micro T-1 & 3x Magnifier Issues

Hi Guys,

I don't post here much but I do read a good deal. First, a problem statement: When looking through the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier and seeing the Micro T-1's dot, it looks like a / with my normal cheekweld. If I move my head, it does become more dot like. The weird part is, without the magnifier I see ZERO distortion of the dot. It looks absolutely perfect.

The biggest problem I have with this is: I'm not sure where to aim! In fact, when shooting groups I'm ALWAYS more accurate, even at longer range, when I'm NOT using the magnifier! Because it's much easier to put the shot where I want it when the dot isn't all contorted.

Possible reasons for this:
    1. Astigmatism. However, I just got an eye exam less than a month ago and the optometrist said for sure I don't have an astigmatism.

2. The magnifier is "magnifying" the imperfections of the dot as viewed by my eye. This is definitely a possibility and what Aimpoint has said about it when I contacted them.

3. The Aimpoint twist mount isn't lined up completely with my LT660 mounted Micro, causing a strange viewing angle? Adding parallax [is this even possible?]?

Are there any fixes for this? It seems like my shots go all over the place at 100 yards with the magnifier. I'm trying my best to take my time and concentrate, but even so I end up with something like an 8" 10-shot group.

Shooting without the magnifier and taking my time I can normally get it down to around a 3" 10-shot group. Which is not bad with M855.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just throwing this out there but is the line still there when you specifically focus on the target. Can you shoot both eyes open? Seems like any variation in dot is eliminated the more im focused on the actual target and not the dot.

Another thing to try is to mount the magnifier as close you can to the aimpoint which there are some posts around that show you how to do this.

Also as im sure you will get from other forum members is its an Aimpoint. Its not a sniper scope and it sounds to me like the bullet is still landing mass which is the objective for a red dot.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ballsout View Post
    Just throwing this out there but is the line still there when you specifically focus on the target. Can you shoot both eyes open? Seems like any variation in dot is eliminated the more im focused on the actual target and not the dot.

Another thing to try is to mount the magnifier as close you can to the aimpoint which there are some posts around that show you how to do this.

Also as im sure you will get from other forum members is its an Aimpoint. Its not a sniper scope and it sounds to me like the bullet is still landing mass which is the objective for a red dot.
    Hi ballsout,

Thanks for your comments. I'll try to shoot more with both eyes open with the magnifier.

As far as it not being that accurate... I can shoot more accurately without the magnifier, that's what's making me frustrated.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Just saying you should be able to shoot both eyes open. But even using one eye focus on target and let the dot just be something there. Not focused on where the dot is. And as much as ive read the magnifier is justified being more of an identification tool. Dead is dead.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    It's actually fairly common to have some distortion when using a magnifier with an Aimpoint. There may also be some amount of zero-shift.

Shoot groups with both, if you're actually more accurate without it, then ditch the magnifier. If the shift is consistent and repeatable, then no big deal. You can either factor that in by using a different hold point when you're using the magnifier or split the difference between the two zero points.

Honestly however, the T-1 is not the ideal aimpoint for a magnifier...imo.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    Thanks guys. Looks like I need to practice more at both eyes open shooting, although I feel like I can aim better at longer range (100+ yards) by closing one eye, even without the magnifier.

*Shrugs*

I wonder if trying a different mount for the magnifier would help? I was really looking at the LaRue FTS, as the one I'm using right now is just the Aimpoint twist mount. It's okay, but not my ideal mount and I can tell it isn't perfectly centered behind the micro. I know that it should still work, but would have a "perfectly" centered magnifier behind the Micro make this better?

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    The mount isn't causing the problem. How can you tell it's not centered? Perhaps show us a pic? The T-1 isn't really the ideal optic for a magnifier as it tends to be a bit narrower, my guess therefore is that it's either a perception problem or user/installation error (the height of the optic mount doesn't match the height of the magnifier mount). If it isn't however than the mount is defective and you should send it back for a replacement.

Shooting with one eye closed isn't causing the problem either.
    Last edited by Gutshot John; 07-26-11 at 08:15.
    It is bad policy to fear the resentment of an enemy. -Ethan Allen

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    Weird, on multiple RDS equipped rifles my Aimpoint 3x always makes the dot perfectly round. I always assumed it helped fix whatever eye issues I have normally at 1x.

Have you tried just holding up the unmounted magnifier and trying to see if you can find a position where you have no fuzziness?

I use a Larue flip mount.

Dennis.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Krylancelo View Post
    Hi Guys,

I don't post here much but I do read a good deal. First, a problem statement: When looking through the Aimpoint 3x Magnifier and seeing the Micro T-1's dot, it looks like a / with my normal cheekweld. If I move my head, it does become more dot like. The weird part is, without the magnifier I see ZERO distortion of the dot. It looks absolutely perfect.

The biggest problem I have with this is: I'm not sure where to aim! In fact, when shooting groups I'm ALWAYS more accurate, even at longer range, when I'm NOT using the magnifier! Because it's much easier to put the shot where I want it when the dot isn't all contorted.

Possible reasons for this:
    1. Astigmatism. However, I just got an eye exam less than a month ago and the optometrist said for sure I don't have an astigmatism.

2. The magnifier is "magnifying" the imperfections of the dot as viewed by my eye. This is definitely a possibility and what Aimpoint has said about it when I contacted them.

3. The Aimpoint twist mount isn't lined up completely with my LT660 mounted Micro, causing a strange viewing angle? Adding parallax [is this even possible?]?

Are there any fixes for this? It seems like my shots go all over the place at 100 yards with the magnifier. I'm trying my best to take my time and concentrate, but even so I end up with something like an 8" 10-shot group.

Shooting without the magnifier and taking my time I can normally get it down to around a 3" 10-shot group. Which is not bad with M855.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hehe. I had the same issue with a 3x Magnifier. Pretty much came up with the same stuff you did.
    I spoke a nice guy at Aimpoint who seemed extremely knowledgeable about the subject.

It is not astigmatism. It is not a fault with the T1.
    It is your eyes fooling with you because the dot is not actually where your eyes think it is.
    The diode projects the the dot forward (or back I don't remember and don't have the T1 in front of me) about 1 inch. Your eye thinks it is on a plane that is 1 inch off.

Focus on the target not the dot.

He did not recommend a magnifier with the T1. He recommended them with the 2MOA optics like the CompM4

Try this: Take a small business card or something like that. Cut a small pinhole and then look through the hole at the dot. See if that changes anything for you.

I no longer have a 3x Magnifier. Instead I bought another rifle with an Accupoint TR24. Sometimes you just can't have it all on the same gun and you need another one.
    Last edited by Underwhere; 07-26-11 at 20:05.