Page 13 of 102 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Thread: Froglube

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kartoffel View Post
    It smells better than Ballistol
    Just about anything smells better than Ballistol, ack. We moved away from a mink oil lube to Ballistol for minor mechanical items (door latches, padlocks, etc.) that are exposed to the elements. I have to get rid of the wipes I use to take up the excess ASAP or the smell in my truck makes me ill. The stuff works great, but God forbid I get it on my hand.

After trying some Slip 2000 for the first time, I am intrigued by FL. Non-toxic AND smells good? I definitely need to give this a shot.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet66 View Post
    Just about anything smells better than Ballistol, ack. We moved away from a mink oil lube to Ballistol for minor mechanical items (door latches, padlocks, etc.) that are exposed to the elements. I have to get rid of the wipes I use to take up the excess ASAP or the smell in my truck makes me ill. The stuff works great, but God forbid I get it on my hand.

After trying some Slip 2000 for the first time, I am intrigued by FL. Non-toxic AND smells good? I definitely need to give this a shot.
    For locks and latches, use a teflon based dry lube.
    US Army Military Police 97-03
    Federal LEO/M.R.T. 05-Present
    NRA Life Member

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
    -E. Hemingway

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it."
    -Jack Nicholson (A Few Good Men, 1992)

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtjosh View Post
    For locks and latches, use a teflon based dry lube.
    This is at work (a telco,) so I use what they have listed for us to order. It's probably meant for some other use, but it is the only lube/penetrating spray I have access to, so that's what locks and latches gets. The mink oil actually worked pretty well, for a lot of stuff, but I think there was something 'environmentally unsound' in that particular brand so they stopped buying it.

Feedback Score

Cold Weather Frog Lube

OK Gang, I left my paste out in the car all week this week, temps have been -25 to -15 degrees all week. The paste still applied normally to my glocks - it was just really cold on my fingers.

I still haven't gotten outside and shot a signifigant amount with the FL on, but I am happy with how it appears to be holding up in cold weather. I am having more luck with the liquid on my bolt/BCG than I was with the paste - not that I think the paste was an issue, it seemed a little to thick on frozen parts and parts seemed a little sluggish on the first one or two racks.

Still happy with the product and am using it exclusively on my weapons.
    Terra, obumbravit, Terra malum, Illi qui seminat semina itineris, Quare reum esse?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I did an unscientific carbon test yesterday. (no control test with another product)

I wiped off my carbon caked silencer mount/flash hider with a dry rag to remove any carbon that would just wipe off...

Then I coated the mount in Froglube and let it sit about 8 hours. A lot of the carbon was able to be wiped off. I had a solid black soiled rag from just hand wiping the mount.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I wish it were colder here in MN this year. I've been wanting to try it out in below freezing temps. But it has been in the 40s the past couple days now. Pretty weird for winter in MN.

After reading IG's post saying not to wipe off the excess I wanted to try it. Before I had been heating, pasting, letting cool, wiping off the paste and lubing wear points with the liquid. Last night I heated, pasted, let cool and put the CH and BCG back in. Markm was right, although I'd say it's more like ice skates on ice. And although I'm sure the entire bcg doesn't need to be coated, I don't see any harm coming from it. I really want to try this setup in the freeze now.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsm2nr View Post
    Markm was right, although I'd say it's more like ice skates on ice.
    Yeah... I was surprised. I'll work the BCG in the upper before reassembly, and I can feel a huge difference. I can't wait to see if it's still slick after shooting the gun.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Out of curiosity, for those using FL, are you doing a complete parts strip for the initial cleaning before applying FL or would simply hosing the lower out with brake cleaner be ok? I have the paste version only and was planning to apply it to the lower internals by dropping on globs and then hitting it with a hair dryer for dispersion.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by redhands View Post
    Out of curiosity, for those using FL, are you doing a complete parts strip for the initial cleaning before applying FL or would simply hosing the lower out with brake cleaner be ok? I have the paste version only and was planning to apply it to the lower internals by dropping on globs and then hitting it with a hair dryer for dispersion.
    Lower parts aren't that critical. It's the bolt group that matters most. I wouldn't have even touched my lower parts if it weren't for my gun acting funny... ended up finding a blown primer was floating around in my lower.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawaiianM4 View Post
    I like your "Deferred maintenance is for doomed weapons.". I think this is great to use as a quote. To many people shot and put away. Cleaning and proper maint of weapons of weapons. I have gone to dry lubrication instead of the wet and gummy stuff. Try Rem® Drilube™. Teflon-based lubricant provides a tough, non-congealing film without the residue of dry graphite lubes.
    Will not be as effective as a wet lube on the AR platform.

Page 13 of 102 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast